A Secret Untold: Part XVI by: Thalisirwen
-----

Cleaning up my wound, I fell onto the bed and tried to sleep. But thoughts of Legolas just flooded into my mind. Every time I closed my eyes, all I saw was his blood, oozing from the terrible wound on his arm, and the look of his beautiful face, flawed by the unhealthy grey pallor that had overcome his features. Getting up I decided to go for a walk, try to clear my head. Wondering around the building, I found myself outside the room where Legolas lay, whilst Elrond and the healers worked around him, trying to pull him from the brink of death. Pacing the corridor outside, I strained to hear what was going on inside, but heard nothing. What if...what if Legolas was already dead? What if they hadn't come to tell me? They would tell me, wouldn't they? I walked back and forth outside, rubbing my hands over my face, trying to think straight. "Please," I prayed "Don't let him die."

Suddenly the door opened. Liadriel, a healer, appeared. "Elrond says to come in," she spoke softly, and left the door open and she returned to her work at the prince's bedside. I followed, trying to step quietly across the room.

"We could hear you outside," Elrond commented as he noted my entry. "Sit down and hold this," He pointed to an empty chair by the head of the bed, and held out the cloth he had been bathing Legolas's forehead with. Sitting on the chair, I took the cloth from the elf and wiped away some of the sweat on the prince's face. Some of the colour had returned to his face, but I guessed that the wound under the compress that Elrond held to Legolas's arm was still pretty bad. But the swelling had gone down a lot now, which raised my hope a little.

It was day before Elrond stood up, wiping his hands on a clean cloth. He had dismissed all the healers hours ago, except for Liadriel, who had been told to stay. Now she carefully wrapped a new bandage around the wound, which had thankfully ceased to bleed, and looked less dreadful than it had when I last saw it.

"That wound needs to be washed and redressed every two hours." Elrond instructed. Liadriel nodded and continued to wrap the bandage.

The elf then turned to me. "That is all that can be done for now," he said. "I will return later to check on him. Now, my friend, you should come with me to breakfast...you haven't eaten properly in days." He had noticed my lack of appetite recently. I had to admit, I did feel a little hungry. But whilst Legolas was lying there, I did not want to leave the room.

"But...I mean, would it be alright if I...if I stayed here?" I implored him. He looked back at me with his wise and honest eyes, and smiled. "Legolas will be fine," he said kindly, "but if you wish to stay, I will send food up." I nodded gratefully and settled back in the chair as Elrond left.

Liadriel left soon after, once she had finished applying the bandage and tidying up the various potions and dirty cloths that lay strewn about the room.

Legolas looked much more peaceful now. I could almost see the colour drain back into his face as I sat there. I watched his face for any sign of movement of life.

Breakfast was brought in, and I ate a little. Then lunch was brought to the room. Then dinner, and the night returned. Liadriel and Elrond both came in every few hours, to check him or to change the dressing on his arm. Eventually I convinced Elrond that I could do it myself, and was left completely alone with the prince.

I sat and sipped at a glass of water from the decanter on the table, deep in thoughts. Last night had been the longest night of my life, and I felt as if I was in for another one. I promised myself I would not move from his bedside until he had awoken, and wasn't in any more danger. I would sit here until I died, if I had to.

My thoughts were interrupted by a soft, whispering voice I would recognise anywhere. I sat bolt upright, and leaned forward. "Legolas?" I said hopefully, looking into his face. But he was still unconscious. Yet he was muttering to himself in delirium. I knew I should call for Elrond, but just as I stood to go to the door, I heard the prince speak my name.

"Aragorn..."

I listened harder, only hearing catches of what he said.

"You...friend...don't tell Arwen, no can't tell anyone...can't keep the secret anymore...I...my feelings are strong...for you..."

I stood in a daze as his words sunk in. Had he really just said what I thought he did? Had Legolas really just...? I couldn't finish off the sentence even in my own head.

The elf's words died away to a murmur I could not hear, and I went to the door, calling for someone to get Elrond.

He entered the room wearing a crimson night robe, a worried look on his face.

"He was talking," I told him, as he felt the elf's head.

But Legolas had fallen back into the depths of unconsciousness.


| Part XVII |
| Back |