And the sky full of stars: Part VIII
by: Jen
-----

The days passed. The sun rose and set. And still Legolas and Gimli rode on. They awoke with the dawn and stopped well after sundown. And kept up such pace on horseback that neither had time for conversation. Their horses could sense their urgency and rode hard throughout the day, as if they were pursued by some unseen forces.

At night, no words needed to be spoken. Legolas and Gimli would light a fire and eat in silence. As typical on all of their many travels, Legolas would star gaze. Gimli often wondered what magic the stars held that Legolas could gaze at them so long. However, this trip, even Gimli wondered at the stars. The story of the Entchildren captured his imagination. And from the Entchildren, he'd think of Elesia and the others in Entville. Gimli was worried. But Gondor was near and taking action was better than idle worries.

The valleys gave way to mountains. And even the mountains diminished into the distance. Gondor was approaching. They rode into the city. The guards breaking formation to let them pass through the gates at a run. Dismounting their horses at the doors of the castle, Legolas and Gimli rushed up the stairs and down the long corridors into Aragorn's chambers.

Aragorn and Arwen were both awaiting their arrival. Aragorn sensed the tension as they approached him. He had fought side by side with them many times. Enough to recognize the look of coming battle in their eyes. His guards were dismissed as they retreated to his study with Arwen. All formalities were put aside and they were once again three men at war.

"You have news." Aragorn said.

"Orcs. At least a thousand strong." Legolas said.

"That many?" Aragorn said. "I had no idea there would be orcs in such numbers."

"There's more." Legolas said.

"I suspected. Or you would not have come at such a pace," Aragorn said.

"There is a village, very near the stronghold." Legolas began.

"Entville." Gimli said.

At the mention of Ents Aragorn's eyes rose.

"There are no Ents there," Gimli said.

"That is a pity. How many people are there?" Aragorn said. "Certainly they have enough men to hold them off until we arrive?"

Gimli shook his head. "There are few. Women, children, the elder. Their only line of defense is young women and boys."

"Boys? Where are the men?" Aragorn asked.

"Killed by orcs, long ago. They've been trapped in the small forest for years, by the orcs." Legolas said.

Aragorn said, "I must ready the troops. I will send you with 1,000. I hope it isn't too late." He left the room.

Arwen had been listening quietly. She alone could see the tension wasn't only for the coming battle. They both cared for these people that were in danger. Knowing they had a hard ride ahead of them and many more opportunities for worry, she hoped to take their mind off their troubles.

"It has been long since I have seen the two of you." She said.

Legolas and Gimli greeted her.

"Lady Arwen. Your beauty grows greater with every setting of the sun," Gimli said and bowed low.

Arwen smiled. "As does my affection for dwarves."

"Legolas, it has been many months since I heard news of your father. How fairs he?" Arwen asked.

"My father is well. He tends his people and his forest. At present, under the guidance of some of Gimli's people, he is delving a greater cavern in hopes of your visit." Legolas said.

"I look forward to that visit, my sons and I will travel with their coming of age." Arwen said.

"Perhaps he will have the caverns finished by then," Legolas said. He cut his eyes over at Gimli with a slight smirk on his face. Arwen's boys were only infants. Coming-of-age was at least two decades away.

"My dwarves will have it done in no more than 3 years. That is plenty of time." Gimli said, defending his people.

"There is food and drink waiting for you in the garden. Perhaps we shall continue our debate their?" Arwen said, smiling.

They followed her out of the study and through the inner courtyard to the gardens. They were fenced in by a large hedge. In the center of the garden was a fountain. Arching water flowed over rocks, it sounded like a river. Flowers were everywhere. And small trees were growing. The smell was distinctly Rivendell. Near the fountain a table with food had been set up.

"You are injured. What has happened?" Arwen asked Legolas as she saw him walk across the garden to sit down.

Though to all other eyes he walked perfectly normal. Only an elf could notice the almost imperceptible change in his step.

"An unfortunate accident." Legolas said.

Over lunch, Legolas and Gimli told Arwen the story of Entville.

"Who leads such a lost people?" Arwen said.

"Her name is Elesia." Legolas said.

Something in the way Legolas said her name, caught Arwen's attention. She smiled at him.

"Elesia." Arwen said thoughtfully. "Tell me about her."


| Part IX |
| Index |