And the sky full of stars: Part XI
by: Jen
-----

Little could be salvaged from the orc's destruction. Like many in the village, Elesia lost everything except what she had on her. The dress she wore and her necklace were all she had left. In the course of a few hours, everything she held dear had been destroyed.

Most of the Gondor soldier's had left to trail the remaining handfuls of orcs that had escaped the battle. It had been decided that the remaining soldiers would loan their horses to villagers who had none. The soldiers would walk in ranks beside them as an escort when they began the long journey to Gondor.

Dawn had broken and within hours they would be leaving Entville. Elesia took a last walk through the forest with Gimli. He looked up at the trees.

"What is it about these trees that entrances you and Legolas so?" she asked.

"There is a forest, many leagues from here, where legends walk the earth and Ents are as common as grass." Gimli said.

She looked at him skeptically.

"How I would love to have small piece of this wood to talk to them. They alone would know if this indeed is their kin." Gimli said.

"Unfortunately, you are in luck." Elesia said. She lead him to the shell of a burnt down house. The trees that grew beside it had been partially burned. The villagers had chopped off several low lying limbs in order to keep the fire from spreading.

Gimli sifted through the rubble and found a branch about the size of a walking stick. With great respect he cleaned the ashes from its bark. He turned to the tree and bowed low.

"Be you Entchildren or Entwives, I shall travel to Fangorn Forest and tell them I found you." Gimli said.

"And I shall go with him." Elesia said.

Gimli looked at her, delighted. "Truly?" he asked.

She nodded. "I should love to see a real Ent. I know I shall never set foot here again and already I miss these woods." Elesia said. Her eyes were full of sadness.

"This is the only home I have ever known," she said. "I do not know how to say goodbye."

"Change, it is always so." Gimli said.

"Does it ever become easier to bear?" she asked.

"For this dwarf, change is still a burden. For others, I do not know." Gimli said, thoughtfully. "Legolas is young, for an elf, yet he has seen more seasons rise and fall than many times my years. Change for him, may not be the same."

"It is always a burden." Legolas said, as he approached them. "Be you a man, a dwarf, or an elf. Sadder still for an elf because I see the world slip away and yet I remain. Though perhaps it will not always be so." He looked up at the sky. The blue reminded him of the sea. The puffy clouds were like the crests of waves as they pounded the shore. He would not be able to ignore the calls forever.

"Come, let us sit here no longer," Gimli said. "We have a long ride ahead of us and already the sun is rising high into mid-morning."

And so the old and the young of Entville, left behind the only home they had known for years. As they crossed the valley many turned back for one last look. Elesia did not.

*************************

Many days and leagues had passed before the villagers' grief was replaced by hope. Gazing upon lands they had never before seen, awoke within them a newfound freedom. Instead of traveling to Gondor, most families decided to seek their own path, in the hopes of reuniting with friends and family left behind long ago. Every road that intersected with the road to Gondor became a tearful goodbye, until the only remaining villagers were Elesia and the young men who vowed to pledge allegiance to Gondor and serve King Aragorn.

They were already within the borders of Gondor and would arrive in the city tomorrow. Legolas was standing guard. Though he could sense no threat on the wind or grass, he had traveled too many dangerous roads not to be wary. Near the campfire, Gimli was demonstrating hand-to-hand combat to a few of the young men. Laughter filled the air as Gimli and the boys toppled to the ground in a heap. As Legolas watched them a sadness filled his heart. He thought of Boromir and the endless fighting lessons he share with Merry and Pippin. So was the way of elves, who lived such long lives, memory piled upon memory until the day came when they were in two places at every moment. Both the present and reliving the past. It was a joy and a grief. Legolas hadn't the time to dwell on either for Elesia had left the campfire to join him.

For a long while, she said nothing but was content to stare up at the stars. Legolas enjoyed the company. On his travels, Gimli would often stargaze with him but it was as if they were seeing two different sights. With Elesia, he felt they were seeing with the same eyes. However, he found himself gazing down at her, instead of at the sky. She was holding the green stone that hung from her necklace, tight in her hands. She lifted it to her lips and kissed it, before letting it drop against her chest. Seeing the curious statement on Legolas face, she explained.

"My father gave it to my mother when they were married. After my father failed to return, I would kiss the stone every night. I haven't done that in years." She said sheepishly.

"Where did your father find such a stone?" Legolas asked.

"He said he found it when he was a boy. It washed upon the shores of the sea." Elesia said.

"It is beautiful." Legolas said, though he looked at Elesia and not at the stone.

"Gimli said you will accompany us to Fangorn Forest?" she asked.

"We have yet to finish this journey and already you think of the next?" Legolas teased.

"I have seen little of the world. And now that I have had a glimpse, I can not wait to see more." Elesia said.

Legolas smiled. "Yes, I will go to Fangorn. Those trees…………" Legolas voice trailed off. "There are no words

In song or verse that can describe their grandeur. Though we will be at least a fortnight in Gondor before we depart"

********************

The rolling countryside became more populated as they neared the walls of the city. The dirt road was lined with small farms and orchards as far as the eye could see. Farmers were in the fields, seeing to their crops. Soon the walls of the city stood before them.

Once inside the gates, they rode to the outer courtyard of the castle. The courtyard was busy and the members of the party soon dispersed into the crowds. Soldiers greeted them. Elesia returned her horse to its owner. Legolas and Gimli disappeared into the castle. The young men of Entville were escorted into a nearby soldiers quarters in order to learn the proper etiquette to greet the King. For the first time in her life, Elesia was completely on her own.

***************

Aragorn and Arwen greeted Legolas and Gimli as they walked into the castle. Aragorn wasted no time in getting straight to the point.

"How faired the battle?" Aragorn asked.

"The orc have been destroyed. The few that remained are being pursued as we speak." Legolas said. They walked down the castle hallway into Aragorn's study.

"And what of the village Entville?" Aragorn asked, as they all took seats.

"Alas, it was destroyed as well. Along with many a brave young soldier." Gimli said.

"But because of their bravery many of the villagers were saved." Legolas said. "Those remaining went in search of family. A few of the young men returned with us to pledge their allegiance to their king."

"And I shall be grateful to have it." Aragorn said.

"What of Elesia?" Arwen asked.

Legolas and Gimli exchanged glances. "She returned with us." Legolas said. It was not an acceptable answer for Arwen.

"And is wandering the streets of a strange city alone?" Arwen asked. Her look scolded them more than her words. Legolas rose from his seat.

"Havo dad, Legolas." Arwen said. "I shall find her."

**************************

Arwen gazed out into the city. "Where would you be, Elesia?" she said softly. The wind whipped through the trees that surrounded the castle. Arwen smiled.

A narrow garden encircled the entire outer edge of the castle. It was only a dozen or so paces wide. Inside it were flowers and a row of perfectly spaced trees. The garden was enclosed on both sides by a tall hedge. So a person walked inside the garden saw nothing of the city, only green.

Arwen walked upon the soft grass. It wasn't long before she saw a girl leaning against the trunk of a tree. Without an introduction, Arwen knew it was Elesia. Her dress was not of the style usually worn by the women of Gondor and it was stained with the dust of travel.

"Welcome to Gondor, Elesia. I am Arwen." She said.

Elesia looked at Arwen but could not speak, so entranced by the beauty of her face and the soothing tone of her voice.

"You must forgive Legolas and Gimli. They often forget hospitality when there are war stories to be told." Arwen said.

"I was not expected hospitality." Elesia said. "They were kind enough to guide me here and I am in their debt. What I do next is no noes responsibility but my own."

Arwen smiled. "I shall not have you sleeping beneath trees, as beautiful as they may be. You have traveled a long road to get here. I would be honored if you let me ease your troubles, at least for a while."

Arwen extended her hand to Elesia and she took it.

"Come." Arwen said. "The city can be overwhelming to those who do not know it's ways."

Together they walked towards the castle.


| Part XII |
| Index |