And the sky full of stars: Part XIV
by: Jen
-----

The day dawned and the sun shone down upon Gondor. Arwen watched as Legolas, Gimli, and Elesia rode away from the castle. In her heart there was a great worry. One which she could not explain. Aragorn joined her and wrapped his arms around her waist, as he gaze over her shoulder at the departing friends.

"You worry too much," he whispered into her ear.

Arwen smiled and turned to him. He tried to vanquish her concerns with a kiss. And though it did much to momentarily distract her, it did nothing to ease the burden in her heart.

Gimli knew nothing of Arwen's concerns. The day seemed as glorious a day as he had ever known. He was on the road, with friends and the sun was bright before him and a fresh stash of pipeweed was in the saddle bag beside him. He hummed a song under his breath as they rode. Legolas glanced over at him.

"You have spent too much time with hobbits. First, you take to smoking their pipe, now you start with their traveling songs." Legolas said. "If you insist on a second breakfast, I'm taking you directly to the Shire."

"I could use a second breakfast." Elesia said.

Gimli laughed. He did not quite understand what had taken place between them, but he liked the change. Elesia addressed them as dear old friends, exchanging retorts with the best of them. By her sudden knowledge of their traveling quirks and rituals, it seemed to Gimli as if she had been journeying with them for years.

At Aragorn's request they would travel north through the Wilderlands on their journey to Mirkwood to see how the land fared. Both Legolas and Gimli were delighted at the prospect of traveling a new road through Middle- Earth. Although, it was the same length in leagues as the other paths to the north, both Gimli and Legolas expected the journey to take longer, as the paths through Wilderland were not as well-worn. Stories about the dangers of the Wilderlands had been told for many an age. But the dangers were no greater than traveling any other road. Aragorn had told them simply to avoid those that lived within it's borders, as they tended to be a more private people and less likely to be hospitable to travelers.

Legolas and Gimli feared little as they began their first leg of the journey. But as the sun climbed across the sky, and they left the bustling city behind them, their hearts were filled with the memory of dread. To their right, in the distance were the northern boundaries of Mordor. The land was stark and open. Only a small layer of thin dying grass covered the rocky terrain that lead up to the dark angry mountains. And though, all evil had been removed, the land still held its memory.

As they set up camp, Elesia stared long at the distant peaks. Despite the warmth of the air, she shivered.

"Your family suffered much at the hands of the evil that dwelt there." Elesia said.

Legolas nodded. "On warm summer nights, my father is filled with the horrors of Mordor. What nightmares still haunt him so many ages later, I cannot but guess. But the evil that resided within those mountains has been a plague upon my people since the second age."

Gimli quietly sat listening to his story. On all his journey's with Legolas, he had only heard pieces of the tale that was told.

"Oropher, my father's father, was slain in the first assault upon Mordor, when his forces joined those of Gil-Galad as they tried to defeat Sauron. When the battle ended, my father lived. But only a third of those Oropher had lead into battle still stood. It was the darkest night for the people of my father's realm. He took the throne, but it was not the joyful crowning he had expected but one in sorrow for Oropher was a wise and gentle king."

"So you never knew him?" Elesia asked.

Legolas shook his head. "No. I have only heard tales of his great deeds."

"And like your father, and his father, you were sent to battle." Elesia said.

"My father said a shadow was in his heart. For he knew that one day evil would return. So many were lost in the last battle, my father dare not make the same mistake that his father made long ago. I alone was sent from my father's realm to Elrond to offer my assistance. But it was chance and fate that lead me to Mordor." Legolas said.

It was not until that moment, that Gimli realized Legolas had not expected to return from his journey when the fellowship had left Rivendell so long ago. He stared upon Legolas with a newfound understanding and respect. They camped for the evening and fell into an uneasy dreamless sleep.

The day dawned and they left the mountains of Mordor in the distance. Yesterday's dread was quickly forgotten as the grasses slowly grew in size until they were riding through thick meadows. The meadows became rolling hills. And the hills dotted with trees and forests. And so the days past in an easy companionship. As dreams go, their's were like many others, nonsensical and blurred, half-remembered upon awakening. For many days they could smell the grapes from the vinyards of Dorwinion that lay many leagues to the east. And the rolling plains eventually lead down to the river Celduin and the road that went beside the forest of Mirkwood.

As soon Legolas could see Mirkwood in the distance a joy filled his heart. So strong were his memories of Mirkwood, that even Elesia felt as if she knew the woods. Both Elesia and Gimli could see the subtle change in his step and the tone in his voice as he recounted tale after tale of Mirkwood. Most of which Elesia knew herself, but she listened anyway, and sifted through the memories until she could finish the tales that he did not wish to.

It had been decided that Gimli and Elesia would ride on to Lake Town to replenish their supplies, while Legolas rode onto Thranduil's realm. And so after many days, they parted ways. Legolas took off towards the west and Gimli and Elesia rode towards the east.

*******************************

As Legolas approached him, Thranduil could sense something had changed. He could not place what was different but he knew that Legolas had news to tell. Thranduil embraced his son in a warm hug. It had been a little over a year since Legolas and Gimli had come to Mirkwood and though elves live eternal lives, a year was still too long an absence for Thranduil.

Thranduil was ever one for getting directly to the matter at hand. "You have come to say goodbye." He stated rather than asked.

Legolas merely nodded. "I know not when I shall leave, but I within a year I must go. The call of the sea has become to great."

"It is as I expected." Thranduil said. "I knew your path would not be in Mirkwood. Even as child your dreams were of far off distant lands."

"But I never tire of these woods. I shall miss them, more than words can say." Legolas said.

"Tis only because you grew up beneath them, not because of anything else. Had you grown up in the mines of Moria you would pine over them in your absence." Thranduil said.

"I think perhaps you confuse me with a certain dwarf companion." Legolas said.

Thranduil laughed. "How is Master Gimli? Long it has been since he has graced our caverns with his song."

"Gimli is well. He will meet me here in a weeks time. We are traveling on a matter of some interest, involving trees." Legolas said.

"Trees? Indeed that dwarf gets stranger with every story told of him. Soon there will be songs that he was no dwarf at all merely a very short elf." Thranduil said.

Legolas laughed.

Thranduil looked long into his sons eyes. Something had changed. Legolas' laugh was freer than it had ever been. Thranduil could only come to one conclusion that would cause such a change in his son.

"You have found someone?" Thranduil said. "I see it in your eyes and feel it in your presence."

"It is not as you think." Legolas said.

Legolas told his father the story of the connecting stones. Thranduil was quiet a long time.

"Of them, I have only heard stories. I pity your Elesia, you crowding her dreams every night." Thranduil said.

"The dreams are quite… … pleasant." Legolas said.

Thranduil raised his eyebrows at his son. "Or perhaps you have found someone and do not yet want to admit it?"

"I have found friendship. Nothing more." Legolas said.

"And that is what I used to say about your mother." Thranduil said, and laughed.

His laughter soon ceased as he look at his son. Legolas look much like his mother. Thranduil had been without her for near 2000 years and not a day passed that his heart did not ache for her. Yet he knew they would be reunited one day beyond the sea. Thranduil knew well the consequences that await Legolas should his feelings go beyond friendship. It would not be easy. But he also knew it folly to give warning to his son.

"You are never satisfied unless you walk the hardest road." Thranduil said.

Legolas shrugged, much like he did as an infuriating elven youth. "Why walk on level ground when the mountain paths have such a lovely view?"

Thranduil shook his head at his son, both exasperated and proud.

"Over 3000 years of worry, I have put into you." Thranduil said. "In some ways, it will be a relief to know you have left Middle-Earth. At least then, I will know you are safe."

Legolas smiled. Thranduil put his arm around his son and they walked into the woods.

***************************************

NOTE:

The part about Oropher, Legolas' grandfather is from the JRR Tolkien book, Unfinished Tales. In it it's just like what I wrote. He and Thranduil when with an army to help Gil-Galad at the first battle at Mordor and Oropher was killed. Thranduil said there was a darkness in his soul and he had horrible memories of Mordor since then. And he believed that Sauron would return one day. The rest about Legolas going alone to Elrond was my idea.


| Part XV |
| Index |