And the sky full of stars: Part XVIII
by: Jen
-----

The journey to Gondor was unbearably slow. Gimli did his best to remain silent, but at every bump in the path, pain shot through his legs. Before long, even Legolas and Elesia would wince as they crossed ever more uneven terrain. By the end of the second week, the White Mountains of Gondor rose before them and their supplies were getting low. Only a handful of lembas remained and Legolas knew it would take more than a handful of days to cross the steep mountain paths.

They debated their choices around the campfire.

"The mountain pass is too steep for Gimli's stretcher." Legolas said. "If we had time, I could fashion something from the branches."

"If we had time, my legs would heal and I could ride a horse." Gimli said.

"Well, we do not have time for either." Elesia said. "How much food remains?"

"Enough lembas for 2 days. No more." Legolas said.

They sat in silence, each weighing the situation in their minds.

"I could ride ahead to a village on the borders, just over the mountains and return with a wagon. But that would take at least 4 days and we do not have the food." Legolas said.

"You have your bow." Elesia said. "You could hunt."

"Lucky for you the Ents did not destroy your bow or Elesia's cloak. My axe was strewed to bits and lay in splitters somewhere amongst the trees of Fangorn." Gimli grumbled. "My father took that axe with him on his adventure with Bilbo. It seems a shame to loose it now."

"Be glad that is all you lost." Legolas said. He considered Elesia's suggestion. "Even if I did hunt for food as I traveled, you and Gimli would still lack enough lembas."

"Then I will go ahead to this village and return with the wagon. I can take the lembas and you can stay with Gimli provide food enough for you both." Elesia said.

With that one sentence, Gimli and Legolas, both knew the debate was over. There was no other solution that made as much sense. And although, Legolas did not wish to send Elesia off into lands she had never traveled, he knew she had the strength and ingenuity for the journey.

They spent the rest of the evening, discussing the lay of the land that await her and the mountain path she was to take.

She awoke with the dawn. The sky was thick with clouds, as she gathered her things together for the trip.

-----

Legolas put the supply of lembas in her saddle bags and rechecked the straps. He look at her.

"If snow should fall before you reach the pass and the trail is obscured do not hesitate to turn back. The paths are well-worn and are easy enough during the year, but can be dangerous in snow, if you are not familiar with them." Legolas said. "Already I can feel winter approaching." He pulled her cloak tight around her shoulders.

"I will." She said.

She got upon her horse and rode towards the mountains. Legolas stood and watch her until she was out of sight of his elvish eyes. Gimli watch Legolas and smiled.

"I have watched your feelings for her grow before my very eyes." Gimli said.

Legolas turned from the mountains to face Gimli. He sat down beside the fire.

"It matters not what my feelings are, to act upon them would be unwise." Legolas said.

Gimli sighed. "To err on the side of wisdom is a mistake when dealing with matters of love. There is nothing at all wise about love. It is complicated and infuriating." Gimli grimaced as pain shot through his legs. When the moment passed he continued. "But when it is between the right people, it is the most beautiful thing in all of Middle- Earth."

"Exactly. And I will not be upon the shores of Middle-Earth much longer." Legolas said.

At those words, Gimli's face fell. "The sea calls you still."

Legolas nodded. "It must be heeded. I wish you to accompany me."

Gimli stare at him a long moment. "As lovely as my hair and my voice, I am not an elf. I do not think the Valar would be mistake me for one." he said.

"There is a good chance you will be allowed entrance because of your involvement with the fellowship and because of your most prized possession."

"Galadriel's hair?" Gimli said, as he reached for the amulet containing her locks that hung around his neck. "I would be allowed entrance for that?"

"It is not unheard of. Galadriel's power is strong even within the realms of the Valar." Legolas said. "You would live the rest of your life free from your injuries."

Gimli looked at him, finally understanding the entire reason for Legolas's request. He looked down at his legs and back at Legolas. He nodded gravely. "I shall go. But I do not look forward to the goodbyes."

Legolas nodded sadly. "Nor do I."

****************************

Elesia rode up the path of the White Mountains. The trail was well-marked and clear, though the first gentle snowflakes of winter had been falling off and on all morning. It was her second day on the trail and she had camped the night before at the highest point of the mountain.

As she began her descent, she could see all of Gondor stretched before her. Wide sweeping plains, endless forests, and rivers like silver ribbons wove their way through the landscape. Her gaze wandered across the open spaces and she felt a sudden sense of freedom that she had never known. She could scarcely imagine she was the same girl, who had spent her entire life within the confines of so small a forest, when the world held such beauty as this.

A few leagues below her, she saw smoke, and could just barely make out the shapes of houses in the distance. With a smile on her face she rode down the path towards the houses. This evening she would have a wagon and tomorrow she would begin her journey back.


| Part XIX |
| Index |