The Chronicles of Lavelynne : Part II
by Kelly
-----

Chapter 2- The Unexpected Quest

Yes, the night grows old little one, yet though you have heard the words of the beginning, you must yet hear the words end, and that is a far way off. Here now the continuing story of my Chronicles......

`One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'

I, Lavelynne, daughter of Elrond, sat by the large window in my resting chamber staring into the darkness of early morning and yet not seeing a thing. I was occupied, you might say, by my pondering of The Poem. Ever since my first dream, about a month ago, I had been having more frequent (and more terrifying) dreams. For the past two night, however, I saw nothing in my dreams. Rather, I heard the words of The Poem.

The words came to me and I did not know what they meant. I dared not to speak the words out loud, so I gave it a title to refer to it by. The Poem. That is what I called it. Though the words were curious, sometimes coming to me in the language of Mordor, sometimes in Common Tongue, they always succeeded in frightening me.

In other days, I would have sought help from my Father for such matters. As of late, though, Elrond was seeming more and more preoccupied. His usual face, which despite his age was young and handsome, was now mostly dominated by worry or doubt. I knew he tried his best not to make these feeling known, but as Elrond's daughter, though not biologically so, I could always tell.

I had been fighting the urge to tell him of my dreams, for I did not want to bother him unnecessarily.

Even as I sat thinking in my chamber, the sun began a slow crawl over the cliffs and mountains surrounding Rivendell, my home. The early light sparkled on the many waterfalls which surrounded Rivendell and its beauty captivated me. Finally the sun rose enough to tell me that night was over and I best ready myself for the day ahead.

I stood slowly and walked to my trunk. Pulling out a long, elegant dress, I began to dress. As I bent to slip the silken slippers onto my feet a dark vision flashed before my eyes.

The rider in black, which chased me in many of my dreams, was galloping towards me, his long sword drawn. I fainted.

Waking from my faint, I shook my fear aside and looked out my window. The sun was considerably higher than it had been when I had started dressing.

`Curse my visions!' I said under my breath, `Now I shall be late for breakfast and Father will have my hide!'

I dashed out of my chamber and sprinted down the hall. If it had seemed a long way to the eating room on other days, that day it seemed endless. I practically flew down the staircase, all the while thanking the gods that I had the light feet of an elf.

Continuing at full speed, I almost knocked down Erestor, the chief councilor of the House of Elrond.

`The lovely Lavelynne! I have been looking for you.' He said.

`I apologize, Erestor, I forgot about...'

`Breakfast?' He finished for me.

`Yes, is Father terribly upset?' I asked, cursing for the second time my visions.

`Actually,' he told me, `Lord Elrond told me to inform you that he would not be at Breakfast this morning. He sends his apologies.' Erestor grinned. `Lucky for you he had a meeting!'

`A meeting? With whom? Where? Why?' I curiously dug for answers.

`Yes, Lavelynne, little curious one! A meeting with Mithrandir in your Father's meeting room.' Erestor informed me.

`Mithrandir?! Gandalf?! He is here? I wonder what he is up to...' I was excited at the prospect of seeing the old wizard again.

`Yes, Gandalf is here. However, Lavelynne, if the meeting is still in session then I beg of you not to interrupt or eavesdrop.' He added the last part with a plaintive look at me.

`Me? Eavesdrop? I have no idea what you speak of.' I grinned at him.

`Of course, I should not have accused you of such things. However, if Mithrandir, Gandalf as you call him, can help your Father with his worries then you MUST not bother them.' Erestor looked at me seriously.

`Fine.' my voice faded as I thought of my Father. I did not want to anger him, but indeed, a visit from Gandalf was not to be missed.

`Well, I must be off. Be good Little Lavelynne.' He then walked away.

Despite Erestor's warning I decided to go hear Father's conversation with Gandalf.

As I approached the open meeting room, I could hear the voices. My Father had a deep, moving voice that spoke volumes even in the quiet peacefulness of the room. Gandalf also had a deep voice, but his was easy to recognize, you could hear the wizard in him, if you know what I mean.

I crept past the ornately carved wooden doors, which were always open. I quickly snuck behind a large pillar where I could hear the conversation easily.

`Elrond, It has been found. You know what I speak of.' Gandalf addressed my Father.

`The Nine are riding then?' My Father sounded disbelieving

`Yes. A Hobbit has It now. Quite soon, however, Frodo will have to leave the Shire.' I was amazed. Hobbits were creatures who lived far away. Could one be coming to Rivendell? What was the `It' both my Father and Gandalf spoke of?

`Yes. We will gather a council then?' My Father's voice faded, as if he did not quite want to suggest such a thing.

`Yes. A council of all races. We will need the help of Elves, Men and Dwarves if we are to do this correctly.' Gandalf sounded dead serious.

`I will send messengers out to inform the races then. I will tell them to be ready for a council at any time.' Elrond quietly planned.

`Yes, that will work Elrond. Yet, make sure the messenger is trust- worthy, we can risk no information getting to the Enemy.'

`Who do you advise I pick, Mithrandir? You always have been better at this sort of thing than me.' Father sounded anxious.

`Well, I know of one Elf-maiden who would be just perfect to send to Mirkwood. She would do quite well as the messenger to King Thranduil.' Gandalf suggested.

`Of whom to you speak? What maiden would be able to do this?' My Father was curious, I could tell by his voice.

`Why your daughter, of course! Lavelynne has proved herself quite curious and in fact has snuck into this very room and is listening to our conversation! She has rightly earned a trip!' Gandalf laughed.

I gasped loudly from my hiding place. How could Gandalf have known?

`Come out, Lavelynne. You need not hide.' Gandalf commanded me.

I stood up, feeling sheepish. I met my Father's eyes and quickly averted the gaze. He was not happy with me.

Gandalf, however, was smiling broadly. His grey beard twichted as he tried to contain his laughter. Elrond began to smile as well.

`I should have known Gandalf! I will never try to up a wizard again!' I grinned at the old man, who by now was laughing openly.

`See Elrond,' Gandalf spoke in between bursts of laughter, `Your Lavelynne would work well. She will not be in danger, I assure you.'

`Yes, I think she has proved herself Gandalf.' Elrond motioned to me. `Come here Lavelynne. There are many things I must explain and not much time in which to do so.'

It was with that comment I came to learn of the One Ring of Power, of Sauron, of the Nine Ringwraiths and of the unlikely Ring-Bearer: Frodo Baggins.

He told me of the Council that would be needed if Frodo came to Rivendell. He told me of the messengers he needed to send, one to every race, to tell of this story.

`This is where you come in, I am afraid.' Father informed me.

He told me I was to be the messenger to the Elven King Thranduil who resided in Northen Mirkwood. I would go to inform the Elves of Mirkwood that a council could be called for at any moment, and to be ready to send representatives of their own to attend it.

I swallowed my nervousness.

`When must I go?'

| Part III |
| Index |