Forgotten Allies: part xi
by: McJen

-----

Before Elrond and Gandalf had left for France they'd made arrangements to meet Kate and Legolas at specific times for the duration of the journey. Although Gandalf had come to France to look for Elrond's sons, he saw no harm in keeping an eye or two on Kate and Legolas as often as was possible. He did not foresee assisting them, for their objective was straight forward enough, but he still wanted to be informed of how things were progressing. If he was lucky, Legolas and Kate would already have the pendant in their possession.

"Do you think it wise we come back to this café so often?" Elrond asked, glancing warily at the patrons coming and going.

"I have been using this café for the past year, and I have sensed no threat of danger. What worries you?" Gandalf asked.

"I do not know," Elrond said, his eyes never leaving the other occupants of the café. "But I sense a tension in the air that I did not before."

Gandalf looked around suspiciously, but he saw nothing to alert him. Indeed, the café was filled the same "regulars" that he saw most evenings. The middle-aged man with the white beard who stopped in every night for an evening snack was sitting at the table beside them. Near the doors, sat the young couple their noses both buried in books. Before Gandalf could give it more thought, he spotted Legolas and Kate walking up the sidewalk towards them.

"Have you heard from Colin?" Kate asked, as she sat down at the table.

"No, we are still waiting to hear from our contact," Gandalf said.

"That's all we've done as well. Wait. And wait. And wait," Kate said.

Gandalf's eyes rose in amusement. "Well, Elrond it looks as if something of your personality has passed down through the generations."

Ignoring Gandalf's comment, Elrond asked, "What of the pendant?"

"It's owned by a General Friedrich von Bernhardi," Kate said. She reached over and grabbed a piece of pastry from Gandalf's plate.

"Though other's may possess it, no one but Arwen is it's true owner," Elrond corrected. His voice was stern.

"Whoever it belongs to, it's currently with General Bernhardi," Kate said, with a sigh.

"We are waiting to hear from him," Legolas said.

"And you have had no trouble so far then?" Gandalf asked.

Kate reluctantly told him about being forced into giving a painting to Ramelow.

"I have heard of him. I'm surprised you got away with giving him only one," Gandalf said.

Gandalf noticed Legolas glancing nervously around the café. "What is it?"

"There is evil in the air tonight," Legolas said.

"I've felt it as well," Elrond said.

The studied their surroundings but nothing looked out of place. Gandalf turned to Legolas and Kate. "You should both keep your eyes open."

"Legolas won't have any trouble doing that," Kate mumbled under her breath. She laughed at her own words.

"I am glad you find this so amusing. For were I in your shoes, I do not think I would be able to laugh," Elrond said, sternly.

"I don't find anything about this situation amusing," Kate said.

"That is good to hear. And I should hate to think what fate would befall you if you did decide this was some sort of amusing game brought about for your enjoyment. For you have already lost one of your paintings," Elrond said.

Unable to find the words, Kate stood up abruptly from her chair and rushed up the sidewalk. Legolas quickly followed. The moment she walked away, Gandalf knew Elrond regretted his words. Yet he sat at the table calmly and took a sip of coffee.

"She is trying, Elrond."

"I did not want her to forget the danger of her predicament," Elrond said. "We do not have time for childish comments."

"What has happened to change you so?" Gandalf said, softly. "For once even you smiled at the inappropriate comments of the hobbits as they interrupted the Council in your courtyards."

"That was different," Elrond said.

"Was it? All that was at stake then was the entire happiness and peace of Middle-Earth," Gandalf said, somewhat sarcastically. "And humor has amazing powers to lighten the spirit. Surely, you haven't forgotten that."

A great weariness filled Elrond's face. He sighed heavily.

"I cannot help but think that Kate is alive because my daughter is not," Elrond said. "As hard as I try, that consumes my thoughts when I look upon her. I know it is folly to dwell on such things, and I should not have spoken to Kate as I did. . . . .but. . . . .even the passage of long years does not diminish my grief."

"Be thankful Kate has so much of Arwen's spirit within her that you can recognize it still."

"I am. But I am getting too old, my actions proved that. Regret is not an easy thing to live with."

"At least it is one easily remedied. You shall have to apologize," Gandalf said.

"Apologize?" Elrond said, an amused grin spreading across his face. "Do you know how many ages have past since I last admitted I was wrong?"

Gandalf smiled in return. A waiter stopped at their table to refill the coffee. As he bent to pour it, the coffee spilled from the pitcher and spread across the table, dripping onto Gandalf's pants. The waiter mumbled his apologies and Gandalf rose and entered the café.

As Gandalf opened the rest room door, he realized there was a man already inside. He turned to leave but the man said whispered, "Come here."

Gandalf closed the door behind him. Much to Gandalf's amusement, the man immediately walked over and locked the door.

"It is not safe for you here any longer," the man said, nervously.

"Indeed? Why is that?" Gandalf asked.

"You have been followed. I don't know for how long. But my last messenger was arrested before she could get the paintings to us," the man said.

Gandalf's face fell at the thought of the scared but lovely young woman who had been purchasing his paintings for the past year. "What has happened?" Gandalf asked.

"What do you think?" the man said. "Someone tipped the Nazi's off to your deliveries. They waited until after the transaction took place and arrested her. Anyone seen in your company at this café has got a bull's eye painted on their backs."

The worry on Gandalf's face deepened.

"I am sorry I couldn't get to you before your friends arrived," the man said.

"I must warn them." Gandalf reached for the door knob but the man stopped him.

"It is too dangerous. Even now, German spies are waiting for you at your hotel," the man said. "I can get your and your friend to safety. But you must come with me now."

Gandalf nodded. A few moments later, Elrond entered the bathroom. He looked at his surroundings and said, "In all my long years, I have never held council in a setting such as this."

Despite the danger of their predicament, Gandalf smiled.

*****************************

The sun had set but it was not completely dark. The sky was a deep rich blue dotted by the first stars of twilight. But Legolas did not have time to dwell on the beauty of the evening for he and Kate were being followed. As soon as Kate had rushed from the café, a man had risen from his own chair and followed them in pursuit. Legolas had noticed immediately and had rushed to catch up with Kate as she stormed up the darkened streets of Paris. However, he did not bother to inform her of their pursuer. She was still lost within her own thoughts.

"Elrond hates me," Kate said, when she finally decided to speak.

"He does not hate you," Legolas assured her.

"I've ruined everything, I've already had to give up one of our paintings," Kate said.

"In exchange for a meeting with General Bernhardi. There was no other choice for you to make." Legolas said. "Had Gandalf been in the position, no doubt he would have done it the same."

"Then why does Elrond make me feel as if every decision I make is wrong?" Kate said.

"Perhaps it be because you remind him of Arwen." Legolas said.

Before she could respond, Legolas glanced quickly into the reflection of a passing window. In the distance, the man was quickly closing in on them.

"We are being followed," Legolas said. His voice was calm and steady, as if nothing were out of the ordinary but his senses were on high alert and his body was poised for attack.

Kate looked up at him, "Who? Where?"

"He's been following us for some time now," Legolas said, as he crossed the street.

"Is he a German?" Kate whispered.

"He is not wearing a uniform. But he moves like one who has seen battle," Legolas said.

They began to crossed a picturesque footbridge that spanned the still waters of the Seine. At the middle of the bridge, Legolas stopped and looked back. The man had picked up speed and was walking purposely towards them.

Legolas reached into his coat and drew a long elvish dagger. Kate gasped. Until now, Legolas had not thought it necessary for Kate to know he was armed.

"You can't be serious? Put that away," Kate hissed.

"Do you have a better idea?" Legolas asked, as he watched the man. Kate looked frantically around the area. Her eyes settled upon several couples who were walking hand in hand along the riverbanks.

"Kiss me," she said.

Legolas was momentarily distracted by her suggestion, but by her _expression he saw she was being serious. Seeing no other alternative, Legolas stepped towards her. Despite her words, Kate instinctively stepped away from him until she backed into the bridge railing. Her eyes darted over to the man who continued to get closer, and she looked back at Legolas giving him a shy smile.

Legolas closed the gap between them and lowered his lips to hers. The sweet softness of her lips caught Legolas off-guard. And the feelings that awoke within him surprised Legolas to such an extent that he immediately pulled away and gazed down at Kate in wonder.

The steely click of footsteps as the man walked along the bridge, jarred Legolas out of his reverie, and he brushed his lips across hers in another kiss. He felt Kate's hands gripping the front of his shirt as his lips hesitantly explored hers. And though, Legolas was acutely aware of the danger of their situation, he gave the man only a passing thought as the footsteps walked by and diminished into the distance.

Somewhat reluctantly, Legolas pulled himself away from Kate. For a long moment, she leaned against the bridge, her hands gripping the railing as she caught her breath.

"That was much less messy than stabbing a dagger through his gut, don't you think?" Kate said, her voice at a squeak.

"I will admit that if we'd used your tactics to prevent confrontations during the third age, Middle-Earth would have been a much happier place," Legolas teased.

Kate let out a weak laugh. Legolas gazed up the city streets. There was no sign of the man. After deciding the danger had passed, Legolas extended his arm to Kate. She took it, though Legolas couldn't help but notice that she avoided his gaze.

******************

| index |
| part xii |