The Fellowship: Part I
by Kris
-----

(Rivendell - Day of the Council of Elrond)

Kristiel entered the elven-city of Rivendell, noting that not much had changed from when she had last been there. With her heightened senses, she felt the elves that resided in the city, though few were in sight. She caught sight of one elf whom she knew- Arwen Evenstar- but did not go over to where the elf-princess stood, talking to another elf. Kris would visit with Arwen later, after the reason why she was in Rivendell was taken care of.

Bringing her horse to a halt, just inside the main gates into the city, Kris dismounted and handed the reins to a young elf that came running up to take her horse to the stable. Approaching one of the many buildings of the city, Kris looked up. She could feel the wizard, Gandalf, and knew that he could feel her, also. They shared a special bond, for he was her grandfather, and his blood ran through her veins.

Gandalf had asked her to come here, and his summons had had an urgency to it. Whatever was going on was serious business, otherwise Gandalf would not have requested that she come.

Kris felt a familiar nudge in her head, and opened her mind just enough so that she could communicate mentally with Gandalf. He told her that the meeting was over, and that it was all right for her to come on up. She acknowledged the message and closed her mind once more. Then, with a mere thought, she teleported up to a much smaller courtyard on the roof of the building she had approached.

She appeared beside Lord Elrond Half-Elven, Arwen's father and King of Rivendell. He jumped slightly, and Kris barely held back a smirk. It wasn't often that someone was able to startle Elrond. He gave her an annoyed look to which she did smile faintly, before she turned to face Gandalf.

He was standing among a group of nine, including himself, made up of four Hobbits, two humans - one of whom she knew, one dwarf, an elf that she vaguely recognized, and, of course, Gandalf. He looked both surprised and pleased, and Kris knew that it was because of her teleporting.

It wasn't an easy thing to master, as many things could go wrong, and was considered dangerous, only to be used in the most extreme circumstances. Because of that, only the oldest and more powerful wizards knew the spell for teleportation, to be taught to the younger wizards should the need arise. However, Gandalf had chosen not to hold back on Kris' training and had taught her everything he knew. She could only wonder if he had known that one day she would need it.

"Kristiel," Gandalf said, coming towards her. "I am so very glad that you are here."

Kris hugged her grandfather, always happy to see him, no matter what the situation may be. When she pulled away, Gandalf spoke.

"You were careful not to be followed?" he asked.

"No one knows that I'm here," Kris replied.

"Good, good," Gandalf said, nodding.

He looked back at the group standing behind him.

"You may put your weapons away," he said. "She is a friend."

When Kris had first appeared, Elrond hadn't been the only one startled. Some of the members, of the group Gandalf had been with, had drawn weapons and gathered around one of the Hobbits. At the wizard's words, those that had drawn their weapons put them away. Two of them, the human she didn't know and the drawf, put their's away reluctantly. They continued to eye her with suspicion. Gandalf looked back at Kris.

"What I am about to ask of you will most likely be one of the most difficult decisions that you will ever have to make," he told her, his voice grave. "We-"

He motioned toward the group.

"- are taking the One Ring to Mount Doom to see that it is destroyed," he said. "I would like you to join us on our quest."

Kris stared up at Gandalf. All her life, she had heard stories about the One Ring. The ring created by the Dark Lord, Sauron, to control all the other rings. A ring that was evil and eventually seduced whoever wore it to the Dark. To be given the chance to see that the ring was destroyed once and for all, well, while the undertaking of it was suicidal, it was still a great honor. And Gandalf had just asked her!

Kris thought back to a dream she had had the night before. In it, she had seen Gandalf fall into a dark, fiery chasm. Was it possible that Gandalf, too, had had that dream? And if so, that was the reason for her being here? For if the dream were to come true, and she wasn't with the group, then it would leave them without any magical protection.

"I just have one question," Kris said.

"What is it?" Gandalf asked.

"When do we leave?" she asked.

Her grandfather graced her with a faint smile of thanks.

"We leave in the morning," Gandalf said. "At dawn."

Kris nodded. More than enough time to pack what she would need for the journey and to arrange for her horse to remain in Rivendell. The human, who had been looking at her suspiciously, spoke.

"I don't see why she is coming with us," he said.

The dwarf nodded in agreement.

"The way will be dangerous," he added. "Too dangerous for a female."

Kris turned an icy gaze on him, staring until he began to fidget.

"I can take care of myself," she told him, calmly.

She looked at the human who had spoken.

"Do you not trust Gandalf?" Kris asked him.

"Yes," he said. "But-"

"But, nothing," she interrupted, her voice still calm.

She turned back to Gandalf.

"I need to prepare for the journey," Kris told him. "I shall see you in the morning."

Gandalf nodded, and Kris gave a nod back, before she teleported back down to the courtyard below.

| Part II |
| Index |