The Fellowship: Part XI
by Kris
-----

Kristiel gazed about the area the Fellowship was marching through, trying to keep her mind focused on staying alert for possible signs of danger, and not on a certain elf and the events of the night before. It wasn't easy.

She hadn't told anyone about what had happened last night, and she was fairly certain that Legolas hadn't, either. If he had, it would have been brought up at breakfast. Kris could see why he wouldn't want to tell anyone. He was an elf, and he had been surprised and attacked, so to speak, by a half-elf, and a girl, at that. And, yet, Kris didn't think that that was the reason why Legolas hadn't told anyone. But, what the real reason was, she didn't know.

At breakfast, they had both acted as if nothing had happened, though they had shared a smile, when the group had broken camp. She didn't think that anyone had noticed, but Aragorn had given her a strange look, when they had begun the day's march.

Kris could just see the Ranger acting like an older brother, claiming to know what was best for her. Not that there was anything to be worried about. She and Legolas were just comrades-in-arms. Nothing more.

Just like the day before, Kris brought up the rear of the group, walking behind Aragorn. And, just like the previous day, Aragorn kept looking back at her, although not as often. A good thing, really, because it meant that he wouldn't see her attention wandering all over the place.

Kris sighed, and Aragorn must have heard it, because he looked back at her. He must have seen something on her face, for he slowed down until they were walking side by side.

"Are you all right?" Aragorn asked softly, speaking in Elvish.

"I'm fine," Kris replied, also in Elvish.

He gave her a look that said he knew she wasn't telling the truth. Kris sighed again, before checking to make sure that no one could hear what she and Aragorn were talking about. 'No one' meaning those that were fluent in Elvish. This wasn't a conversation that she wanted overheard.

"Last night, when Legolas tried to wake me for my watch," Kris began, finally. "I...kind of...sort of...attacked him."

Aragorn gave her a startled look, which quickly became a guilty one.

"That's my fault," he said. "I forgot what happens when someone tries to wake you. If I had remembered, I would have warned Legolas."

"You're not to blame," Kris told him. "I could have warned him, too, but, because I was so tired, I forgot."

They walked in silence for a long moment. Aragorn spoke, breaking the silence.

"So, you attacked him," he said, still speaking Elvish. "Dagger to the throat?"

"Dagger to the throat," Kris said. "When I saw who I had attacked, I thought for a brief moment that it wasn't really him. That it was an impostor trying to sneak into the camp to get to Frodo and the ring."

"What changed your mind?" Aragorn asked.

"I looked into his eyes," Kris said. "I once heard, or read, somewhere, that the eyes are a window to the soul. It's true. I saw age and wisdom in his eyes. And good. That isn't something that can be faked. You either are good, or you're not."

Aragorn nodded, in agreement. They walked in silence once more. Again, it was Aragorn who broke it.

"Was that all that happened?" he asked.

Was it Kris' imagination, or did Aragorn's voice sound a little odd, just now? Nah, he couldn't possibly think that, well, that something had happened between her and Legolas. Could he?

"Yes," Kris replied.

She saw a look of relief cross Aragorn's face. Oh, dear. He had thought the worst. It was almost funny, in a way. Age-wise, Aragorn was but an infant, compared to her. Yet, here he was, ready to defend her honor. Arwen had, indeed, chosen the perfect mate.

"We also talked a little," Kris added. "I told him that if it happened again, it wasn't personal."

Aragorn smiled faintly at that. After a moment, he lengthened his strides so that he was once again walking ahead of Kris. She knew that the conversation was over. At least, she hoped it was. A thought occurred to her. Aragorn wouldn't talk to Legolas about last night, would he?

Kris sighed quietly. When had her life gotten so complicated? She answered her own question. It had gotten complicated last night, when she had looked into Legolas' blue eyes, and had seen his soul.

| Part XII |
| Index |