The Fellowship: Part XIII
by Kris
-----

Legolas looked over, when he heard footsteps approaching, and he saw Aragorn. The Ranger had an odd look on his face, as if he wished that he were somewhere else.

"What troubles you, Aragorn?" Legolas asked, softly, so as not to wake anyone in the sleeping camp nearby.

His friend shook his head at the question, and didn't speak for a long moment. Legolas knew that Aragorn would say what he had come over to say, when he was ready.

"Kristiel told me what happened last night," Aragorn finally said.

"Did she?" Legolas asked.

"It was my fault," Aragorn said. "Although Kristiel would say otherwise."

"I do not understand," Legolas said, with a frown.

"I forgot that when you awake Kristiel, she tends to be quite... defensive," Aragorn explained. "If I had remembered, I would have warned you."

Legolas nodded, before what Aragorn had said registered in his mind. He eyed his friend sharply.

"What?" Aragorn asked.

"How do you know how Kristiel wakes up?" Legolas asked, his voice low.

Aragorn's eyes widened slightly at the question.

"I know how she wakes up," he said. "Because she has stayed at Rivendell before. What happened last night has happened before."

Aragorn looked at Legolas closely.

"How else did you think I knew?" he asked.

Legolas looked away, his gaze landing everywhere but on Aragorn. He did not know what was wrong with him. How could he have asked what he had? Why had he asked what he had? Aragorn was his friend. His trusted friend. Yet, Legolas had just accused him of being more than friends with Kristiel, when he knew that Aragorn was faithful to his beloved, Arwen.

"Legolas?" Aragorn asked softly.

The elf looked at the Ranger. To his surprise, Aragorn did not look mad. In fact, he had a look of understanding on his face. Legolas was confused.

"Why are you not upset?" he asked.

"Because I understand," Aragorn replied.

"You understand?" Legolas asked, still confused.

"Yes," Aragorn said, nodding.

The Ranger turned to head back to the camp, but stopped and looked back at Legolas.

"You hurt her," Aragorn said. "You will answer to me."

Then, he turned and made his way back to the camp. Legolas stared after his friend. Aragorn's words ran through his mind. 'You hurt her, you will answer to me'. Surely, Aragorn was not implying that Legolas had feelings for Kristiel? He barely knew her.

Okay, yes, he admitted that he found the half-elf attractive. She was quite beautiful, in fact. But, he could say the same about Arwen. And, he did not have feelings for her, other than those of friendship. His feelings for Kristiel were nothing but those of being comrades-in-arms. Maybe even friends, one day. How could he have feelings, the ones that Aragorn had implied, for Kristiel, when he already had those feelings for another?

| Part XIV |
| Index |