The Fellowship: Part XVIII
by Kris
-----

Kristiel walked, lost in thought, but still ever alert to what was going on around her. She knew that Amaurëa walked beside her. She knew that Aragorn kept glancing back at her every so often, a concerned and worried look in his eyes. She knew that the look was caused by the pale shadows she knew were beneath her eyes.

She had had the dream again, the night before. Just like the first time, she had seen her grandfather fall into a dark chasm. She had woken from the dream, shaking and drenched with sweat. Luckily, Aragorn had been on watch, for he knew enough not to ask any questions.

There had been a stream near the campsite, and Kris had bathed in it. Afterwards, she had kept watch with Aragorn, and then by herself, when it was her watch. Amaurëa had kept her company, and Kris had been glad that she had been there. She hadn't wanted to be alone. The dream had really shaken her more last night, than it had the first time she had had it. She surmised that it was because she was with her grandfather this time, and slowly drawing closer to the mines of Moria.

She sighed, and was brought from her thoughts when Aragorn slowed, so that they now walked together.

"Are you all right?" Aragorn asked, in Elvish.

"If you mean, am I alert enough for battle, should we run into any danger," Kris said, also in Elvish. "The answer is yes."

They walked in silence for a few minutes. Kris wondered at what Aragorn was thinking. She didn't have to wonder for long.

"When we stop for the night," Aragorn said, still in Elvish. "You will not take a watch. I want you to get some sleep."

"I can sleep and take the last watch," Kris said. "You forget that I am half Elf. I don't need a lot of sleep."

"I didn't forget," Aragorn told her. "Nonetheless, you will not be taking a watch tonight."

Kris looked over at the Ranger, and he returned her stare. For once, Kris knew that Aragorn was not going to change his mind. She broke the gaze, letting him know that she would abide by his orders. She heard Aragorn sigh, before he lengthened his strides, so that he was once again in front of her.

Kris knew from experience that Aragorn was not upset with her. He was just stressed, as were they all. And the situation was only bound to get worse, before it got better.

| Part XIX |
| Index |