The Fellowship: Part XXII
by Kris
-----

Legolas followed Kristiel's trail, not that it mattered. He could see her off in the distance, standing still, not moving. As he drew closer to her, he saw her turn and look at him, before looking away. When he reached her, she spoke.

"If you listen, you can hear the land speak," Kristiel said, quietly. "Telling tales of the past."

Legolas listened, concentrating. Yes, he, too, could hear the many voices of the past of this land.

"I do this, sometimes," Kristiel went on. "Find a quiet place, like this one, and I listen to the voices. I've learned many a thing from them."

Legolas glanced around, not liking how they were out in the open. As if she had read his mind, Kristiel spoke.

"We should head back to camp," she said.

As they walked back, Legolas tried to think of a way to bring up the subject of his betrothal. Over the past few days, he had found himself watching Kristiel, whether it was during the short breaks they took during the day's march, or during the night when it was his turn to stand watch. Whenever he caught himself watching her, he would immediately think of his beloved. They had pledged themselves to each other, and he would not break those vows. No matter what.

"Something troubles you," Kristiel said, pulling Legolas from his thoughts.

For the first time, he wondered if Kristiel could read the minds of others.

"Reading my mind?" he asked.

"I can't read minds," Kristiel replied. "But, I can sense that something troubles you."

"Oh," Legolas said. "You are right. Something is troubling me."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Kristiel asked.

"Yes," Legolas said. "Only I do not know where to begin."

"Begin where it feels best," Kristiel suggested.

Where it felt best? That did not really help. Finally, he decided to just say what he had to say.

"I am promised to another," Legolas blurted out.

There, it was said. He felt relieved, and yet, he also felt a little bad. He supposed that he could have put it another way, as he did not want to hurt Kristiel.

"I see," Kristiel said.

Legolas looked at her in surprise. She did not sound shocked at what he had told her.

"You have known?" he asked.

"Yes," Kristiel answered. "Arwen mentioned it to me, the night before we left Rivendell."

Legolas was not sure what to say. Kristiel had known this whole time? Why had she not said anything? A thought occurred to him. He was attracted to Kristiel, he did not deny that. But, what if she was not attracted to him? What if this had all been one- sided? They reached the outer perimeter of the camp. Kristiel stopped, and Legolas did, as well.

"If you're wondering if I'm attracted to you," Kristiel said, softly. "The answer is yes. I can assure you that I won't act on it. You're promised to another, and I will respect that. I wish both you and your intended much happiness."

"Diola lle (Thank you)," Legolas said, finally.

It was all he could think to say. Kristiel nodded, smiling faintly, before she turned and entered the camp. Legolas followed, a moment later. He saw that Aragorn was still awake, and he went over to where the man sat, watching over the sleeping camp. Legolas sat down beside him, while trying, and failing, not to look at Kristiel, as she lay down to sleep.

"I trust everything is all right," Aragorn asked, quietly, speaking in Elvish.

"Yes," Legolas replied, also in Elvish.

Aragorn did not say anything else. Legolas stared at the fire in the center of the camp. Yes, everything was all right. But, why did it feel as though it was not?

| Part XXIII |
| Index |