Fallen Leafs, Part XVII
by Areli

-----

"There's the traitor!" Gimli snarled as they raced through the barren wasteland that was Mordor.  

Indeed the companions could make out a tall elf clad in green running from them.  

"Legolas! Stop!" Gandalf yelled. Legolas did not even react to his name.  

"Legolas!" Aragorn called. He began to run faster than he ever had and ever thought he could. To his surprise he managed to tackle Legolas to the ground. The elf simply hit him off and got to his feet, his bow and arrow drawn.  

Aragorn got to his feet as well and sighed. "Lego..." his voice trailed off when he found himself looking at an elf that was not Legolas.  

"Please do not interfere with my mission." The elf said calmly. "How is it that you know Legolas?"  

"He is a friend of mine." Aragorn said, astonished to find another elf in Mordor. "Why are you in Mordor?" Aragorn asked.  

"Servant of Mordor, I am afraid I must destroy you for I cannot have you tell your master I am here." The elf said and pointed his arrow at Aragorn's forehead. He pulled back on the bow. 

"I am no-"  

"Elinml!" Gandalf called. "Do not harm Aragorn son of Arathorn!" he commanded in a voice ringing with authority. The elf looked at Aragorn in an statement of asonishment. 

"Aragorn?" he questioned. Aragorn nodded. Elinml put his bow and arrow away as quickly as he had drew them. "Forgive me but I am in too great a hurry to praise you." he said and ran again.  

Gandalf and Gimli finally reached Aragorn and continued runnning after Elinml.  

"He could be a traitor." Gandalf told Aragorn and Gimli. "We must stop him!"  

Elinml was no where in sight when they finally were forced to stop and simply breathe at the bottom of a hill.  

"What is an elf doing in Mordor...?" Aragorn wondered. 

"Probably the same thing Legolas is doing." Gimli huffed.  

"We do not need your wise remarks Gimli." Gandalf admonished. "Aragorn, you are the swiftest of us all at present, please climb that hill and see if you can find Elinml anywhere." Gandalf asked. Aragorn nodded and scrambled up the steep slopes of the rocky hill until he finally reached the summit. 

To his utter shock he found himself looking at an army of elves sitting at the bottom of the hill. Their armor glimmered against the setting sun. He could barely make out Elinml talking to an older looking elf clad in a white cape and silver armor.  

He practically fell back down the hillside and ran into Gandalf. 

"Well? What can you see?" Gandalf asked. 

"An army of elves!" Aragorn cried. "Elinml is with them!" Gandalf lowered his head in thought.  

"What is an army of elves doing in Mordor?"  

"They could be looking for Legolas?" Aragorn suggested. Suddenly Aragorn's heart stopped again. "Legolas! We have yet to find Legolas!" Gandalf's eyes widened with realization. 

"You are right! He could still be in the castle!" Gimli pulled out his axe, a look of blood lust crossed his eyes. 

"Then let us go back in and get him!" he yelled, standing up. 

"Gandalf the Grey!" they heard a new voice call. The three companions looked up at the summit of the hill they were beneath to find Elinml looking down at them. "Thranduil, king of Mirkwood requests and audience with you."  

Gandalf nodded and stood.  

"Go into the castle and see that you find Legolas." Gandalf whispered to Gimli and Aragorn as he passed by them. They both nodded and took off towards the castle. 

Meanwhile Gandalf struggled up the mountain and had to be helped by Elinml near the summit.  

He slid down behind Elinml and suddenly understood Aragorn's concerns.  

The entire valley they were in was flooded with elves clad in armor.  

"Ah...Gandalf..." he heard a wise voice greet warmly. Gandalf turned around and found Thranduil walking up to him. 

"Thranduil. What a pleasant surprise this is." Gandalf greeted. "And tell me, what brings you and your elves to Mordor?"  

Thranduil's eyes darkened. 

"I received a message from Saruman stating that he had my son and would only return him if I gave Mirkwood to him. Naturally I refused. I hastily called for an army and was about to set out when I received word that Isengard has been destroyed by Ents. I assumed that I would find Legolas in Mordor then."  

"A bit hasty to send an army after him don't you think?" Gandalf asked.  

"Not when my son is involved." Thranduil said darkly. His statement lightened. "What brings you to Mordor Gandalf the Grey?" Gandalf smiled. 

"I have become Gandalf the White." he said. "I am in Mordor for the same reason you are." His face grew serious. "Your son has the ring of power."  

Thranduil's eyes widened. His face paled. The elves surrounding them began to talk worriedly amongst themselves. 

"I have reason to believe he has already fallen to shadow." Gandalf said sadly.  

"B-but this cannot be!" Thranduil cried. "Can this be lies you tell me Gandalf?!"  

"No Thranduil. I do not lie of such grave matters."  

Thranduil fell to his knees. Tears slid down his face. 

"My son...my poor son..." he wept.  

Gandalf grew alarmed by this sorrow that Thranduil, the strong king of Mirkwood was suddenly showing. 

"Come now Thranduil! You must remain strong and hopeful. I am not completely certain he has fallen." Thranduil shook his head sadly. 

"All is lost..." he did not look up at Gandalf. "Minyaberaid, escort Gandalf back to his company." An elf came up to Gandalf. 

"This way Gandalf." he said softly.  

"Thranduil, do not lose heart..." Gandalf began. Minyaberaid took Gandalf by the shoulder and forced him up the hill. 

"Forgive me but I cannot disobey orders." he said.  

"Quite understood. Please be sure Thranduil will be OK." he said.  

Minyaberaid left Gandalf at the peak of the hill.  

Gandalf stared out at the rows of elves and simply shook his head sadly. 

"This war will be in vain." he said and quickly went to join his companions.

| Next |
|
Index |