Healing: Part V
by Narevane
-----


It was barely more than a breath of sound, like the first shy warm breeze of spring, but sharp elven ears all heard it.

"Father?"

Thranduil raised his head and looked down at Legolas. He was looking up at his father, bewilderment in his again-blue eyes.

"Legolas!" Thranduil cried again, this time in joy. He again clutched his son to him, lifting his voice in song of thanks to the Valar for not taking his son from him. His eyes met Elrond’s. Elrond smiled and nodded. He glanced at Legolas, who had followed his father’s gaze.

"You…it wasn’t…a dream? You…brought me…back?" Legolas asked.

"I did, young one," Elrond said gently, taking Legolas’ hand when he held it out.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"Rest, child. Let your spirit heal, and walk no more in dark places." Elrond smiled as Legolas curled into his father’s chest like the child he was, and Thranduil hugged him tight, rocking him and humming to him. Elrond bowed and withdrew, leaving the family in peace. He found many of Thranduil’s councilors waiting outside the door. He looked at them. "He lives."

The relief that passed through the group was palpable. He saw tears in many eyes. A page down the hall slipped out, no doubt carrying the word to the rest of Mirkwood.

"Will he recover fully?" one of the councilors asked.

"Yes, I have no doubt. He will need the care and love of his friends and family, but there should be no lingering scars."

Elrond finally bade the family leave him alone with Legolas. He checked the wound, which could begin healing now. He also spoke to Legolas about what had happened on the spirit plane, finding out how much he remembered. He actually remembered very little, for which Elrond was thankful.

Elrond watched Legolas sleep. He studied the young elf and thought about what the dark spirit had called him. Poikaer. Pure one. Only a handful of people knew of the Prophecy, of the Poika ar Astalder - the Pure and Valient Ones. It was a prophecy that said there would be Nine, to stand against the nine Nazghul, nine who would be pure and brave of heart, and that through them, Sauron would be defeated once and for all. Somehow, the Witch King, leader of the Nazghul, had discovered that Legolas was the first of them, and had attempted to bring him to evil. Elrond was grateful Legolas remembered almost nothing of what had happened. He didn’t need to know the destiny that lay in front of him, though he would need training in order to utilize his power. Elrond smiled to himself as he gazed at the sleeping prince. He would train this one to be a formidable enemy of the Dark Lord.

Elrond leaned over the sleeping elf, smoothing his hair back, and swore that he would never allow this one to fall to darkness.



End




| Index |