Immortal Heart: Part V
by Alexandra
-----


Frodo and Sam sat together outside Bag End, enjoying the morning air. They spoke of the latest news of the Shire, and wondered what their friends were doing now. They looked down the hill and saw two cloaked figures come up the path. Both Sam and Frodo jumped up in joy.

“Well, if it isn’t Legolas and Saderian!” exclaimed Frodo. “It has been a while since we last saw you!”

The two elves smiled and kneeled down to hug the hobbits. “Indeed it has,” replied Legolas. He smiled as he heard the word ‘elves’ reach his ears, coming from the other hobbits in the town. The halflings rarely saw those from different races.

“I hope that all has been well with you both,” said Saderian, standing up.

“Quite well,” answered Frodo. He looked down and noticed that there was another pair of feet standing behind Legolas. A small head peaked out from behind his legs. Frodo briefly caught a glimpse of golden hair and pointed ears before it disappeared again.

“Tula Sinome Estela,” said Legolas. “Uuma dela.” Sam raised his eyes to the two elves that smiled.

He turned around and reached down. When he came back up there was a small child in his arms. She grinned at the hobbits and then buried her face in Legolas’ shoulder. “This is our daughter, Estela.”

Frodo and Sam’s eyes widened in surprise. Saderian reached over and took the elf child into her arms. “Estela means hope,” she explained. “She was the first child to be born in Mirkwood since the destruction of the ring. She is only the first of many children among the elves.”

She bent down and let the child stand. She only came up to about Frodo’s shoulders, and a pair of curious blue eyes looked at him before she giggled and ran behind Legolas. They laughed and then sat down, talking about the recent news.

“Where is Gimli?” asked Sam at one point. “I would have thought he would have been with you.”

“We are actually on our way to visit Elessar and Arwen,” explained Legolas. “He is going to meet with us there after he visits his own family. What about Merry and Pippin? I do not see them here.”

“That is because we are behind you!” cried Merry as the two hobbits raced up. “Word reached us that there were some elves at Bag End. You wouldn’t believe what an amazing thing it is to the rest of the family.”

The two came and greeted both Legolas and Saderian, and looked slightly shocked at seeing Estela. Through all their travels, the fact that one day Legolas might become a father had never occurred to them.

When the light began to fade, Saderian excused herself and disappeared into the hobbit hole with Estela sleeping in her arms. The others stretched out on the ground, gazing up at the stars.

“You seem quite happy Legolas,” stated Pippin.

“I am,” he replied. “That day that I thought I had lost Sade… my whole world came down. It was only the knowledge that I had something to do that kept me going. I know I wouldn’t be here if she hadn’t come back when she did. And Estela is the best thing that could have happened to us. We were both surprised when we found out she was with child, but we couldn’t be happier.”

“It is good to see Saderian so well,” said Sam.

Legolas nodded, though his tone became slightly sad. “She wakes sometimes in the night, shaking with fear. I think she is remembering her time in Isengard. It is all I can do to calm her sometimes. But the dreams are getting less frequent and it is my hope that some day they will leave all together.”

Saderian then came back out and sat down next to Legolas. “Estela is asleep,” she said. “Thank you for letting her use one of the rooms, Frodo.”

“It is nothing,” the hobbit replied. “Will you two also need rooms?”

“No,” said Legolas. “Saderian and I will be more comfortable out here among the trees.”

“Well, I am afraid that it is time that I start on back,” said Merry as he stood up and stretched.

“As should I,” added Pippin. The two said goodbye to the elves and started toward their own homes.

“It has been great to see you again Frodo, Sam,” said Legolas. “There is a chance that we won’t be here tomorrow, for the journey to see Elessar is still long. If by chance we don’t, then Lissenen ar’ maska’lalaith tenna’ lye omentuva.”

Frodo smiled. “Aa’ menle nauva calen ar’ ta hwesta e’ ale’quenle.”

With some last farewells, Frodo and Sam both went into Bag End as Legolas and Saderian settled underneath one of the trees near the window that led to Estela’s room, should she cry in the night.

The two elves spoke quietly for a few minutes before Sade drifted off to sleep. Legolas looked at his wife and then into the dark room where his daughter slept. He could not imagine a better way to spend his immortality.




| Index |