The Jewel of the Stars: Part VII
by Erin

-----

The brothers returned within a week of their departure. Word had been left for Legolas with King Thranduil, his father, who’d sworn unto his kingdom that the message would reach his son.

A week passed, then two. Luinëhothiel’s sickness continued to take over her entire body…her eyes remained open for long periods of time, staring intently, yet at nothing in particular, her breathing became so shallow that it could barely be heard, and she’d seemed to have lost the ability to speak. Rivendell’s Jewel was slowly dying of a broken heart.

Elrond never left his daughter’s side. He stayed by her day and night, hoping and praying for any miracle that would be offered. Unfortunately, one never was and, now, the fate of his youngest daughter rested in the hands of Prince Legolas of Mirkwood…the only person who could free Luinëhothiel from her hell.

Over the next 24 hours, Luinëhothiel slipped in and out of a coma-like state again and again.

Elrond could no longer hide his tears of grief. He let the small, wet testimonies of sadness fall endlessly over his cheeks, landing, one after another, in a small area on his daughter’s bed sheets. He hadn’t felt such overwhelming distress since his wife had journeyed to the Undying Lands, never to return. His daughter’s passing had never been an option before but, as her time neared its end, it became more and more of a reality to the Lord of Rivendell. He wished there was something else he could do for her…even though, he knew there was not. Finally, he resigned himself to keeping Luinëhothiel company during her last hours.

Elrond fell asleep rather quickly. His head lay in a small, vacant spot at the edge of Luinëhothiel’s bed and his left hand held its position on her arm. He had become so drained over the previous weeks that, it had become impossible to fight the temptation of sleep and he’d finally given in.

Luinëhothiel opened her eyes shortly after her father had fallen asleep. She felt terribly weak and her whole body ached with a pain she’d never felt before. Tears began to escape her eyes as a surge of pain ripped through her chest. She let out a stifled cry and closed her eyes again.

Elrond’s eyes snapped open the second he heard Luinëhothiel’s cry. He moved closer to the bed and placed his hand on his daughter’s forehead. He watched her brow furrow at his touch and then relax, in the same instant. She had fallen back into the deep sleep that had, for the past day or so, claimed her over and over again. Elrond sighed heavily and moved back to his seat, taking the same position he’d been in for so many hours before.


| Part VIII |
| Index |