All The Roses In The Garden
Series: Morning Star
Author: KimmyLynn
Disclaimer: The lyrics are from Queen of Argyle, written by Andy Stewart and performed by the Minstrels of Mayhem. MoM has given me their gracious permission to use it here. Thanks Ty and Jerry!!! I am making no profit, no need to sue.
-----

Legolas walked silenty through the woods, his senses honed for any sign of danger. It was still early, and he did not yet have the watch. Aragorn did, and was closer to the campsite. But the elf was unable to sleep, as usual, his thoughts too tangled to allow him to rest. It had been two days since Gandalf had told the legend of the Morning Star, and Legolas had been unable to keep it from his thoughts. Each night, he waited with great anticipation; hoping for another glimpse of her. But she had not made an appearence as yet, and he was beginning to doubt that she would. He could not explain his need to see her again, only knew that it was overwhelming. As was the sadness that had now set in, as he began to accept the fact that she was gone.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
Gentlemen it is my duty
To inform you of one beauty
Though I ask of you a favor, not to seek her for a while
For no words could paint a picture of the Queen of all Argyle
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Suddenly, the sound of sobbing came to him. He stopped, trying to pin down the direction from which the sound was coming. It was very faint, but he could hear it well enough to know that it was the weeping of a woman. It was a mournful weeping, full of utter despair. The weeping of one who had lost everything, and teetered on the edge of a dark abyss. A part of him was stirred by the sound, deep down within his soul. He had to find the woman, whoever she was. And there was a more selfish part of him, a part that he tried to deny, that wanted it to be Saqarra. For, if it was her, he would see her again. And perhaps, if fate was kind, he would speak to her.

He headed off in the dirtection of the sound, weaving silently through the trees. It did not take long for him to near the source of the sobbing, as a clearing appeared up ahead of him. He crept to it's edge, not wanting to frighten whomever was there. As he peered through the trees, his gaze fell upon the ruins of a once great temple. And there, on the remaining stone steps, set the Morning Star. She sat very still, her head held in her hands. Even from his distance, he could see the tears as they slipped through her fingers; falling to the ground like diamonds. His heart went out to her, she seemed so lost and alone. The shadows from the trees danced across her, leaving eerie patterns on her skin. But even in the dark of night, she seemed to shine. Beside her, the black wolf raised his head; his eyes scanning the edge of the forest. He was lying very near to her, one large paw resting atop her leg. There was something vaguely intimate in the simple gesture, something that made Gandalf's tale seem more real.

Taking a deep breath, Legolas stepped into the clearing; intent on speaking to the weeping elf. The wolf watched him warily as he approached, a low growl piercing the night between them. Saqarra seemed unaware of him, and the wolf's aggitation; her head never raising to look at either of them. As he neared her, the great balck wolf rose to his feet; his eyes meeting the eyes of the elf. His lips curled back, revealing glittering white fangs. He was prepared to defend his master to the death, and Legolas was not at all prepared to kill him.

"Saqarra?", he whispered; stopping a few feet from her.

She looked up at him, startled by the soft voice. Her golden eyes shone with tears, a monumental sadness reflected in their bottomless pools. She smiled weakly at him, recognizing him as one of her own.

"You are Saqarra, aren't you?", he asked hopefully.

"Yes, I am.", she answered wearily. "Do I know you?"

"We have not met, but I have seen you."

"Wait, I do know who you are. You are traveling with the ringbearer.", she said

"Yes, I am traveling with the Fellowship."

"The what?"

"The Fellowship of the Ring.", he replied; as if she should have heard of them.

"I see.", she said; obviously not understanding, but humoring him anyway.

"My name is Legolas, by the way."

Saqarra stood up, extending her hand to him and smiling sweetly. He looked at her strangely, until she took his hand in hers and shook it gently. He seemed like a nice enough person, and she liked him already. As a matter of fact, she had been rather smitten from the moment that she had seen him; two days before. She released his hand and sat back down on the steps, motioning for him to sit down beside her. He smiled sheepishly, taking a seat next to her; and eyeing the wolf warily. The wolf, seemingly content with his master's decision, settled back down beside her. His paw came once again to rest on her leg, and once more Legolas was struck by the intimacy of it. Legolas seemed suddenly nervous, his eyes darting around the clearing as if he expected to be caught by someone.

"Why are you out here all alone?", he asked; already knowing the answer.

"I'm not alone, I have Tristan.", she answered; pointedly not answering the question.

"Of course."

"And I can take care of myself, if it comes to that."

"I am sure that you could."

"Besides, you are out here all alone as well.", she pointed out.

"Yes, I am aware of that. I was just.....I had the watch, and I heard someone crying.", he lied.

"Oh.", she whispered.

"Are you.....alright?"

"Yes, I am fine."

"Then I suppose that you cry often?", he prodded.

"Do not ask questions to which you do not want the answers.", she said cryptically.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
And if you could have seen her there,
Boys if you had just been there.
The Swan was in her movement and the morning in her smile.
All the roses in the garden,
They would bow and ask her pardon.
For not one could match the beauty of the Queen of all Argyle
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Legolas looked at her oddly, unsure of what to say. The silence between them grew, not all together uncomfortable. Saqarra knew that she should go, she had much to do. But there was something about the strange elf that made her loathe to leave. She felt a kinship with him, one that she could not understand. And a tingling in the pit of her stomach when he looked at her, his ice-blue eyes meeting hers. Legolas blushed, realizing that she had caught him staring at her. He suddenly looked away from her, as he felt himself falling into her eyes.

"I should go.", he said.

"As should I.", she replied.

They both stood, prepared to go their seperate ways. But the sound of approaching hoofbeats stopped them, as they waited to see what was coming. Legolas thought the sound was familiar, but was not certain if the rider would be friend or foe. Pulling his bow, he took aim and waited.

-----

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
And if you could have seen her there,
Boys if you had just been there.
The swan was in her movement, and the sunlight in her smile.
All the roses in the garden,
They would bow and ask her pardon.
For not one could match the beauty of the Queen of all Argyle.
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Legolas stood with his bow ready, the arrow notched; the string drawn tight. The hoofbeats grew ever closer, bringing the stranger nearer and nearer. Behind him, Saqarra stood silently; the great wolf at her side. Suddenly, the rider came into view; trotting into the open meadow. Legolas dropped his bow, recognozing Aragorn and Bill. Aragorn pulled the pony to a halt, smiling at Legolas as he slid to the ground. As he walked to the elf, his smile grew into a sly grin.

"Well, now I see why you wandered off.", he whispered.

Legolas sighed and smiled, pushing the man away from him playfully. He put his arrow back in the quiver, before turning toward Saqarra.

"Aragorn, this is Saqarra."

"So, the legends are true?"

"Legends generally are.", Saqarra said flatly.

Aragorn looked from Saqarra to Legolas, arching an eyebrow at the blonde elf beside him. He shrugged, not knowing what to think of her attitude any more than Aragorn.

"Where you looking for me?", Legolas asked; the silence becoming uncomfortable. "Yes, it is your turn at the watch. When you weren't with the others, I came looking for you. Unlike you, I prefer to sleep.", he replied; looking to Saqarra again.

The princess was watching them, her face calm and relaxed. Her eyes, however, told a much different story. They glittered darkly, belying the tension that flowed through her. Beside her, the wolf cocked his head to the side; gazing up at the sky. The three followed his gaze, watching as a white hawk came into view. Her shrill cry cut through the night, echoing through the meadow. Aragorn shivered, the hawk's call bringing to mind the shrill screams of the Black Riders. Saqarra raised her arm, smiling as the hawk spiralled down to land. The smile disappeared as the hawk began to chatter, the elf able to understand her language. The color drained from her face as she turned to look at the two men, terror reflected in her golden eyes.

Legolas felt a chill run down his spine, felt a dark presence approaching. Beside him, Aragorn shivered. He looked at Legolas, seeking an answer. But the elf did not have one, only the vague awareness of something coming. Saqarra listened to the hawk for a moment more, before nodding her head. She turned to Legolas and Aragorn, her voice low and tinged with dread.

"Amirilli has seen the Black Riders. They are near, very near. They will soon find the Ringbearer."

"How close?", Aragorn asked.

"Too close, I fear. You must hurry, if you are to warn them. Legolas and I will follow you.", you said; turning her attention back to the hawk. "Go, and watch. Do what you can, if the Riders reach them first."

The hawk rose from her arm, disappearing into the night sky; her call echoing back to them. Aragorn was already by Bill's side, quickly mounting the pony. Jerking the reins, he spun him back towards the woods; casting a final glance back at the two elves as he went.

Saqarra turned toward Legolas, looking past him into the night. She whistled softly, and the large white stallion emereged from the shadows. She leaped onto his back, spinning him around to bring him up alongside the other elf. She extended her hand to him, her face set with determination. He grabbed her wrist, pulling himself onto the horse's back behind her. His arms went tightly around her small waist, his body pressed tightly to hers. She snapped the silken reins against Tor's neck, and the stallion bolted down the path leading away from the peaceful meadow. Tristan followed them, his pace soon taking him past them. The wolf cut through the trees, leaving the path to make better time. His growls echoed through the tress as he ran, his ebony form blending into the trees and becoming just another patch of night. The wind had picked up, and it blew Saqarra's long white curls all around the two elves; making it difficult for Legolas to see. He inched closer to her, finding the heat of her body comforting. As they sped through the night, his thoughts turned to his comapanions. Bloody images rose up in his mind, images of death and destruction. He silently prayed that they would reach the camp in time, knowing that rest of the fellowship would be ambushed and defeated before they even knew what hit them.

***********************************************

Aragorn rode into camp, jumping from the pony's back. He began to wake his companions, motioning for them to remain silent. Once they were all awake, he told them of the hawk's warning; his voice never rising above a whisper. He was unsure of how close the riders were, and did not want to give away their location. As he finished his explanation, Legolas and Saqarra galloped into camp. Legolas slid to the ground in silence, sending up a prayer of thanks that they had arrived in time. As he appraoched his companions, the silence of the night was shattered by the cries of the appraoching riders. The nine began to scatter, grabbing their belongings; hiding behind trees and diving behind the large stone outcroppings. Legolas threw himself to the ground, sliding under a fallen tree. From his position he could see Saqarra as she set atop her horse. He groaned, cursing her for not disappearing back into the night. As the Nazgul came into sight, she spun the stallion around to face them; a ball of flame flickering to life in her open hand.

They pulled their shadowy horses to a stop, sniffing the air. Their heads turned to the elf, their eyes glowing beneath ebony hoods. The elf stood her ground, waiting for them to move or to speak. Legolas was certain that he could see her tremble, and wondered at her ability to remain. The leader rode closer to the edge of the path, regarding her with mild interest.

"Baggins.", he growled.

"Baggins? Never heard of him.", she lied.

"He was here."

"Perhaps so. But not since I have been here."

"Baggins....the ring", they all said.

"Yes, you said that. And I said that he was not here. And while I would love to sit here and have this rather monotonous conversation with you for the remainder of the night, I highly doubt that you master would be pleased. I am sure that wasting precious time is not what he had in mind when he sent you.", she stated coldly.

From his place behind a large stone, Gandalf gazed out at scene before him. There was no doubt in his mind who the strange elf was. As he watched her conversation, the wind picked up once more. As her hair swirled around her, Gandalf caught sight of the nape of her neck; and the odd marking on her creamy skin. The lavender shape of the sun, the morning star. Even had he not seen the mark, he would have known her. So it seemed that the legends were true, the daughter of Lord Daithin still wandered the lands. He sighed heavily, his heart heavy with the knowledge that one of his own had brought about the downfull of the beautiful elf; and the despair of her people.

As he watched, it appeared that the Nazgul would indeed leave. Perhaps it had been her words about their master, and perhaps it had been the iron will of the elf herself. He let out a deep breath, thankful that Frodo and the others had escaped detection. But his happiness was short lived, as the attention of the riders turned to the woods. Their voices rose into the familiar refrain of 'Baggins....the ring'. Gandalf looked around him, his gaze falling upon Frodo; who was leaning against a nearby tree. The young hobbit looked terrified, the moonlight reflecting in his wide blue eyes. A glint of gold caught the wizard's eye, the ring. Frodo turned it over and over between his fingers, his gaze riveted on it. Gandalf cursed under his breath, knowing that if he put it on his finger, they would all be dead.

"Frodo!", he hissed.

The hobbit turned in the direction of the sound, his eyes wide with fear. Gandalf shook his head firmly, willing the hobbit to put away the ring. Frodo looked down at the ring, as it lay warmly in the palm of his hand. He turned his head slighty, looking out toward the road; were the strange elf still held her ground between them and the Black Riders. He swallowed hard, realizing how close he had come to giving them away. Nodding at Gandalf, he slid the ring back into his pocket. Gandalf sighed heavily, his own gaze going back to the scene at the roadside.

The Nazgul milled about, suddenly loosing the presence of the ring. The leader turned his attention back to the elf, pointing a dark finger at her.

"Baggins is near.", he growled.

"Near and here are two very different concepts. And, as you can see, he is not here. Perhaps he was even near when you arrived, but seeing as how you have refused to listen to me, he is most likely very far down the path.", she explained calmly. As if to prove her point, a scream echoed from farther down the path; followed by a ravenous growl. Saqarra smiled at the riders, shrugging her shoulders.

"Perhaps that is your ringbearer now. Judging from the sound, I would say he was waylayed by some hungry beast. Whatever it was, it is most likely eating him this very moment. 'twould be a shame, if the ring were to be lost in the belly of the beast." The riders turned from her, as a mournful howl rose into the night. The spurred their horses, galloping off down the path; their screams filling the night as the went. Saqarra watched them go, the fiery ball in her hand dwindling away.

She slid from her horse, leaning heavily against him; her head resting against his neck. She was trembling and felt rather unsteady on her feet, glad to have him to lean on. He turned his head slightly, nuzzling her soothingly. She smiled and whispered her thanks to him, watching as the fellowship began to emerge from hiding. They gathered at the edge of the path, looking off into the distance for any sight of the riders. Sam looked at her in awe, unable to believe that he was standing in her presence.

"See, I told you I saw her.", he said excitedly. "I told them, but they said I was only dreaming."

"It was no dream Sam, and neither were the riders. And if you continue to speak so loudly, you will no doubt be seeing them again as well.", she whispered.

Sam blushed a bright crimson, looking around sheepishly at the rest of the group. No one spoke for several minutes, fearful of announcing their presence. Soon, the hawk appeared once more; telling her master that the riders were indeed gone.

"They have gone.", she told the group; smiling at Sam.

They all relaxed, moving to sit down around the dwindling campfire. Saqarra moved away from Tor, but remained standing; unsure of what to do now that the danger had passed. All eyes watched her, waiting for something; as unsure as she. Finally, Pippin spoke; his voice still kept low.

"What do you suppose that was that screamed?"

"A rabbit.", she answered.

"That didn't sound like a rabbit.", he said.

"Are you sure?", Sam asked her.

"Yes, I am sure. It was a rabbit. Or...perhaps an unfortunate traveler."

They all looked at her in stunned silence, taking her to be serious. She smiled weakly at them, shaking her head.

"It was merely a rabbit."

As if on cue, Tristan loped into camp; the limp bodies of a pair of rabbits dangling from his jaws. He walked up to Saqarra, obviously proud of his catch. She smiled down at him, sympathy for the poor creatures shining in her eyes. Although she knew that their deaths, and their resulting screams, had saved the ringbearer and his companions; she still felt a deep sadness at the loss. Understanding every nuance of his master, he turned from her; moving to Legolas' side. He laid the rabbits at his feet, his golden eyes meeting the cerulean gaze of the archer for a fleeting moment. Again, the elf was amazed by the almost human quality of the beast's gaze, a chill running up and down his spine. He slowly reached out to the wolf, his fingers running through the thick fur of his shoulder. A deep growl rolled out, as the wolf backed away from him and returned to Saqarra's side.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
So, at last my lads I must leave you.
My intention is not to grieve you.
Nor would I deceive you, but I must leave you for awhile.
I must find a way to to gain her,
To court her and to tame her.
For I fear my heart is in danger from the Queen of all Argyle
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Tristan sat down next to her, his body tight against her leg. Her hand stole to the top of his head, her white fingers gleaming in his midnight fur. Her gaze wandered across the nine companions, commiting them to memory. She knew that the time to leave had come, but there was a part of her that was loathe to go. She had been alone for so long, had forgotten the joy of companionship. But, there were things she had to do, her own journey still before her. She turned to Tor, taking up his silken reins.

"You're leaving?", Sam asked sadly.

"Yes. The riders have gone, and the dawn appraoches. You will soon be on your way, and I must be on mine."

"You could come with us.", Sam blurted out.

Eight pairs of eyes turned to him, shock and disbelief on the faces of his friends. She smiled sweetly at him, halfway wanting to say yes; but knowing that she couldn't. "I have my own journey Sam. Besides, I am not overly fond of wizards.", she said pointedly; looking at Gandalf.

"Do not judge us all, based on the folly of one.", he said.

"Besides, you have been following us for days.", Sam pointed out.

"I was simply following the same path."

"Then, you can follow it with us.", Legolas said; suddenly seeing the possibilities of Sam's plan.

"And that hawk would be really helpful. Legolas and I wouldn't have known about the Nazgul, and the others would have been caught sleeping; is not for her warning.", Aragorn added.

"Yes, but..."

"You are on a journey, we are on a journey. There is no reason that we can't walk the path together.", Sam said; moving to stand in front of her.

"Perhaps you are right.", she sighed.

Sam smiled brightly at her, taking Tor's reins from her hand. She smiled back at him, her hand coming to rest on the top of his head; playfully tousling his hair. He blushed again, a tingle running through her body at her touch. He moved away from her, leading the horse to where Bill stood; looping the reins around the branch of a tree. He took his place by the fire, motioning for Saqarra to join them.

She made her way to the fire, sitting down next to Legolas on a fallen log. Tristan laid down at her feet, sprawling out on his side. She looked down at him, giggling at his prone position.

"Don't get used to this.", she said.

"But you said....", Legolas began.

"I will. So long as our paths continue to move in the same direction. But every bend could be the last, each fork in the road could see us on our seperate ways once more."

"For now, you are with us. That is all that matters.", he said; smiling softly at her. She smiled back at him, her eyes twinkling merrily. The stolen moment was soon over, as his comapanions began to talk, asking Saqarra all manner of questions. She answered some, some she ignored; choosing to keep her secrets her own. As the dawn rose around them, they ate a quick breakfast; the dangers of the night soon forgoten as they looked forward to the journey ahead.

~FIN

| Part IV |
| Index |