The Official Fanfiction University of Middle-earth: Part II
by Camilla Sandman
-----

By the time the Rohan Riding Express Carriage had begun moving after the coachman's near fall (her scream had nearly startled him to death), Lina had almost convinced herself she was dreaming again.

It seemed so dreamlike, the ride through the landscape. Great mountains loomed in the horizon, clear rivers ran through the valleys. And the air. The air was so fresh and clear. She sure knew how to dream lively.

Closing her eyes, she let her self drift off. Such a vivid dream, such a.

"We have arrived," the coachman announced. "This is your University."

Snapping out of her dreamlike state, Lina realised they had stopped. Hesitantly, she stepped out of the carriage to find she was standing in front of several large buildings. They seemed oddly - well, her world-ish. But not quite. It was as if someone had looked at the design of a modern university and copied it without quite realising what functions everything served.

There was a carpark, with a handicap space no less. There were tall poles that were probably meant to be streetlights, but of course there were no electricity.

On the biggest building hang a banner reading 'OFUM - Orientation Week'.

She lifted her gaze above the University, and saw a tall, white tower-like structure hover in the background.

"What is that?" she whispered hoarsely, even though she already knew.

"That is Minas Tirith." He took a look at her, then muttered under his breath. "You'd think they at least know the largest cities in the world they write about."

"But, eh.. Umm.." she muttered, staring down at the ground. "This is not real. This is not real. This is NOT real."

She closed her eyes and opened them again.

"So they all say," the man replied, and she finally took a good look at him. He was tall, blonde, face having that natural tan you only get from spending most of your life outdoors. He was. Yum. Utterly yum.

How long she gawked she wasn't sure, but finally she became aware of someone tapping her on her elbow. She turned - and saw no one. That was, until she looked down and saw the woman smiling up at her. She was.

"I am Rosie Gamgee, your University adviser. The orientation has already begun, you're a little late. Follow me." the woman smiled, and trotted off surprisingly fast on bare, hairy feet. A hobbit.. It took a moment before Lina managed to gather herself enough to follow.

"Had a nice trip?" Rosie asked, still smiling from ear to ear.

"Umm.. yeah."

"That's nice, dear. Now. Here we are." And with that she pushed the doors open and they stepped into a large hall.

There had to be hundreds of people there and they all turned and looked at Lina as she entered. She could feel her ears turn red, and worse yet, she felt the piercing glance of Gandalf on her. For the tall bearded man on the podium could be no other.

"Aaah, Lina Holling is it? Yes, it must be. Sit. I'm sure one of the others will fill you in later. Thank you Rosie, that should be everyone."

Sinking down on the nearest chair, Lina got a comforting smile from the girl sitting next to her.

"I'm Jenny," the girl whispered.

"Lina."

"Pretty wild, isn't I?"

"Alas, I seem to have lost where I was.." Gandalf began, staring down at his papers. "Oh, yes. Your time here will not affect our lives in the real world. You will be returned to the same time you left. If you wish to drop out at any time, you will be returned to your own world, but you will get no licence. You must pass all subjects to get your licence."

"Did you look at the list of subjects?" Jenny whispered as Gandalf droned on about passing requirements.

"I." Lina began, then felt the piercing glance on her again. She sank down in her chair.

"Thank you, miss Holling. Now, your timetables and books will be waiting in your sleeping quarters. Legolas, did you have the lists and floorplans?"

A small sigh went through the crowds as Legolas's name was mentioned and when the elf stepped out of the shadows there was a stunned silence.

And then hundreds of girls got to their feet and stormed towards the podium.


| Part III |
| Index |