Out of Reality: Part II
by Alexandra
-----

Thranduil was sitting thoughtfully on his throne when Legolas came back. The king immediately stood up to greet his son. “What have you learned of this human?”

“She is most strange,” Legolas replied. “She speaks of places I do not know and things that I cannot place.”

“Do you believe her to be dangerous?”

Legolas thought of the image of her right before he left, curled up on the bed. He shook his head. “I do not think so.”

Thranduil nodded. “Very well. Tomorrow she will be given a proper room to rest in. I want you to look after her Legolas.”

The prince nodded, though he was slightly confused. “Why do you ask me to watch over this human father?”

“You know more of the ways of others than I do,” the king replied, a touch of mourning in his voice. “You traveled with Mithrandir, you still visit with the hobbits from time to time. You are great friends with the King Elessar and even greater friends with the dwarf Gimli. You are better suited to such a task than any other I could assign, including myself.”

Legolas was a bit taken aback with the king’s words. He nodded and left the room to go to his chambers, for he had much to think over. He did not sleep much during the night, though when he rose in the morning, he felt refreshed. After making sure that the human’s bags had been brought to a spare room, he and the guards started to where she was being kept.

Adalia was found sleeping, still curled up. All together she looked peaceful and harmless. Legolas sighed and rapped his knuckles against the bars, bracing himself to deal with the human.

Adalia’s eyes flew open, and she quickly shut them after seeing the elves. “I am praying that you are not real and I am still in some horrible nightmare.”

“Why do you not just accept what has happened?” asked Legolas, slightly miffed at being called a nightmare.

“Accept it?” repeated Adalia, sitting up. “It’s a hard pill to swallow buddy. I don’t just smile and nod when I seem to switch realities. I get scared, confused, and angry, all in one shot. Then I start to wonder why the hell this has happened to me. So why don’t you just back off and realize that this isn’t something I’m just going to take in stride. Got it?”

The elven prince nodded, suppressing another sigh. He may be friends with many creatures, but she was in a category all her own. He opened the door to her personal prison and motioned for her to follow him. “Come. You are being given proper quarters.”

“Great. Can’t say I’m going to miss the dank dungeon.” Adalia stood up and followed him, though warily. She still wasn’t able to fully trust these creatures. She quickly became lost as she was led through several hallways and stairways. After several minutes of walking, he opened a door on his left and she followed the prince inside.

The golden sunlight streamed in through the open balcony doors, a fresh breeze accompanying it. The large, four-poster bed was covered with luxurious pillows; certainly inviting to Adalia’s weary body. A few dressers and a mirror were spread about the room. Two closed doors led off from the bedroom, to what she assumed were the bathroom and closet. The whole room was done in various shades of earth tones and her black bags clashed with it all.

Adalia rushed over to her bags, hoping to put an end to her problems by calling someone with sense. Legolas watched curiously as she pushed several buttons on an oblong device and held it to her ear. She then drew it away and stared at it, mumbling, “No service.”

Adalia was shocked when her cell phone beeped indignantly at her. She tossed it onto the bed and reached for her CD player that had a radio on it. Though no matter how many stations she tried, all she heard was static. No matter what kind of technology she had with her, they couldn’t be used. “I really am lost and alone,” she said softly as the machine fell from her hands onto the bed.

“One cannot be alone when they are surrounded by life,” said Legolas, knowing the human had forgotten that he was in the room. “If you simply listen to the trees you will see that you are never alone.”

Adalia sat on the bed and rested her forearms on her thighs. “I am alone in this world. And I already told you trees don’t talk. They never did and never will.” She looked at his outraged expression before chuckling and stretching out on the bed. “You believe in all of that tree-hugging crap don’t you? Aren’t you late for some sort of protest?”

Legolas’ mouth dropped open. He did not want to think that he was spoiled, but never had someone disrespected him so obviously. “May I remind you that I may not be king, but I am prince within this kingdom. It is easily within my power to send you back to whence you came.”

Adalia didn’t want to go back to that underground place. But she also didn’t want to admit defeat in front of this stuck up piece of royalty. She calmly stood up and walked over to him, her fear forgotten. She looked him straight in the eye and said, “Don’t mess with me when I am pissed, your royal bratiness. Just because I don’t know where I am, doesn’t mean I’m ready to be pushed around.”

Legolas didn’t break eyes contact, though he was losing his patience. Why had he been placed in charge of this human? “Amin feuya ten’ lle,” he spat.

“And what does that mean?” she asked, her eyes narrowing.

“You disgust me,” he replied.

“As if I care what you think,” Adalia answered. “Besas mis nalgas. You’re not the only one who can speak in another language.”

“What did you just say to me?” demanded Legolas, his eyes narrowing as well.

“Kiss my ass. Sales mi cuarto ahora. That means, leave my room now. I think I’ve had enough of royalty today. And what a pity, it’s not even noon yet.”

The prince’s eyes widened and he swiftly left the room, slamming the door behind him. Adalia laughed, and sat back on the bed. She hadn’t been able to make someone so mad in ages. Of course, now that he was gone, she realized that she didn’t like the emptiness of her room. “Great job making friends,” she said with a grimace.

Looking around, she felt isolated from everything else. She hadn’t felt further from home before that moment. She grabbed her CD player and put in a disk, glad that she still had some of her batteries left. She soon fell asleep to the only sounds that were familiar to her.

---

Legolas stood outside Adalia’s room for a few seconds, trying to compose himself. The human had managed to anger him greatly, something that hadn’t been done for years. He bowed his head and began to walk down the hall, trying to block her laughter from his head.

“This is quite a welcome that I have been given!” exclaimed a voice behind him and he turned to see Gimli standing behind him with his hands on his hips. “You would think that a dear friend could expect more!”

Legolas smiled and laughed. “And had I known you were here, you would have had a grand reception. Gimli my friend, I did not expect to see you so soon.”

“Yet here I am!” Gimli paused to observe his friend. “You seem troubled by something my dear elf. What is on your mind?”

“It is nothing.” Legolas replied. “We have a strange human within these walls. She does not seem to be of Middle-Earth.”

“Not of Middle-Earth?” asked Gimli in disbelief. “Where did you come across such a being?”

“A patrol found her in one of the northern clearings. She was armed and then spent a time within the lower levels before being given a room here.”

“I wish to see this human,” said Gimli. “She sounds a being of great interest.” Legolas nodded, though he wished that Gimli did not want to see her. It had been only minutes since he had nearly stormed out of her room, and he was not that eager to go back. The two walked back down the corridor and Legolas opened the door to the human's room, not bothering to knock.

They found Adalia asleep on the bed, strange black circles over her ears. They were connected to a wire that ran to one of the devices that she had used to try and find out where she was. Legolas started to feel pity for her once again, but then he remembered how she had insulted him and his heart quickly turned to stone.

“She does not seem dangerous,” observed Gimli quietly.

“Nor do you when you are asleep,” pointed out Legolas. “Things are not always as they seem and I do not fully trust this girl.” He watched her for a few more seconds before he turned around. “Come, let us not dwell on these matters for now. You have much to tell me!”


| Part III |
| Index |