Out of Reality: Part IV
by Alexandra
-----

Adalia pulled on her jeans the next morning wearily. As much as she wanted to go home she was starting to like the tranquility of Mirkwood. She could have done without the massive spiders, but every world had their demons. Her thoughts soon drifted to home though as she packed, and she could feel her excitement grow.

Adalia took one last look around the room to make sure that she hadn’t forgotten anything. The guards then led her to the courtyard where several elves and horses were waiting. Her bags were placed on the one packhorse that they brought with them, carrying some provisions and the such. Her gaze than landed on a beautiful bay horse standing off to the side, without a saddle.

“Can you ride?” asked Legolas as he came up to her.

Adalia eyed the horse. “It’s been years since I last did. And longer still since I’ve ridden bareback. I can give it a shot though. You’re going to need to give me a leg up though.”

Legolas looked at her for a moment before he figured out that she meant that he had to help her onto the horse. They moved next to the bay and Adalia patted its neck reassuringly. Legolas cupped his hands together and she placed her foot in them. She pushed against his hands, using them like a step. At the same time, Legolas pushed at her foot, intending to give her in bigger lift. Together, Adalia put more force than she anticipated into the action.

A loud thud could be heard followed by a moan. Legolas looked over the back of the horse to find Adalia lying on the ground. “That was quite graceful.”

She glared up at him and climbed to her feet. “I asked for you to help me, not throw me over the horse. Now just hold out your hands, all right?” He did as she asked and Adalia seated herself on the horse easily enough. “Uh, stupid question here. How do you steer?”

“What do you mean?” he asked, confused.

“You know, direct the horse as to where to go.”

“We simply speak to our horses and they understand us. Though the race of men do prefer some reigns don’t they? We might have some within the stable.” A few words to a servant sent him to retrieve one of the few bridles they had. Adalia felt much better with the soft leather within her hands.

“How are you today Mistress Adalia?” asked Gimli as he strode out of the hall.

“I am fine,” she answered. She watched in amusement as Legolas mounted one of the horses and then pulled the dwarf up behind him. “So you’re coming with us?”

Gimli nodded. “Yes, it has been a while since I have spent some time with Legolas. That and I wish to see this tree that is causing so much ruckus among the elves. I do not see the point in it. Now if you wish to see something amazing, the Glittering Caves-“

“Yes, dear Gimli, we have heard of the caves and I have visited them with you,” interrupted Legolas. “We need not hear of them again.”

Gimli glared at the back of Legolas’ head and Adalia tried not to laugh out loud. They soon set off through the woods, one of her original founders in the lead. Adalia took several minutes to find her seat on the horse, not being used to it. She was already longing for automotive transportation by the time they reached the clearing.

Adalia dismounted and looked around. The clearing looked the same as it did before, nothing really had changed. Though now she admitted to herself that it looked friendlier, if such a thing could be said. Her bags were put down beside her and she listened as Legolas conversed with his people in their own tongue.

“Do you understand anything of what they are saying?” asked Adalia as she sat down next to Gimli.

The dwarf shook his head. “Legolas has tried teaching me his language, but so far not more than a few words have stayed with me. All I can tell for sure is they are talking about a tree.”

Adalia nodded and stood up. She wandered over to where she remembered being when she had first dropped into this world. One tree looked familiar. It was the same one that she had found that day in the park. Forgetting that her bags were no where near here and that she would have to return to get them, she tentatively reached out, touching the tree.

When nothing happened, a strangled cry escaped Adalia as she placed her palm on the trunk. She refused to believe that she was trapped here. The past few days were fine, but she had still thought that she was in the middle of a dream. When nothing happened, another fear rose up within her: maybe she would never be able to return home.

She soon took to beating her fists against the tree, knowing that it wouldn’t accomplish anything. Adalia was restrained and she turned to find Legolas grasping her wrists. “What is wrong?” he asked.

“I’m still here is what is wrong!” she shouted. She struggled against his grasp for a few seconds, thinking if she hit the tree harder, something would happen. He only tightened his grip and pulled away from the tree.

“No,” Adalia protested. She hated to sound like a child, but she felt as if she would start crying at any minute. She was literally hopelessly lost.

Legolas sat her down on the ground and looked at her. “Adalia, things are going to be all right.”

“No they’re not,” she answered, feeling the first tear slide down her cheek. “I pray that you never have to feel the pain of being ripped out of everything that you knew and placed into something else. I don’t know if I’m ever going to go home. So I don’t know if I’m ever going to see my friends again, or my family. I may be here indefinitely and it’s not something that I am particularly looking forward to.”

She closed her eyes and placed her forehead on her knees. Legolas sighed and looked at Gimli. The dwarf eyed the human sympathetically before speaking. “I can understand how you wish to see your home. Though you must try to find the beauty in the things around you. It is what gets me through the days, especially when I am away from my caverns.”

Adalia looked over at him and gave a weak smile. She had not expected any comfort to come from the dwarf. “Thank you Master Gimli. Maybe I will simply stop and look, but for the moment, I just need to think.”

“Well, think while you ride, for we need to get back,” said Legolas. Adalia looked up and saw that something was troubling the elf. She nodded and let Legolas help her onto her horse once again. She was still upset about the tree and the fact that she was stranded gave her no comfort at all. Yet, she pushed her feelings away and dried her tears as they rode back to the palace.


| Part V |
| Index |