Out of Reality: Part XIII
by Alexandra
-----

Legolas fell backwards onto his bed, staring at the ceiling. He was weary from being held in councils all day, among other things. He sighed and closed his eyes. Things were just harder without Adalia near him.

It had been nearly a year since she had gone. His father had forbidden him to go back there, had even posted guards at his door to make sure that he did not leave. The Elvenking did not want to lose the heir to the throne in a mistake.

Thranduil, while fond of Adalia, had never approved of his son loving a mortal. By elvish custom, both Legolas and Adalia were married, but the king never acknowledged it. That was why the two spent most of their time in Gondor. But now it didn’t matter. Adalia was gone and Thranduil no longer had to worry about a half-elven child claiming the throne.

Legolas opened his eyes and glared at the ceiling. Standing up, he walked over to a dresser and grabbed his knives and quiver, strapping them to his back. He had been a fool and left her for a decade. He would not make such a mistake again; he had waited long enough.

He opened the doors to his balcony and leaped into the tree outside. Making sure there was no one nearby; he climbed down and then ran to the stables. He felt like a child sneaking out, but he had no doubt that his father would hold him back from what he was about to do.

Mounting his horse, he galloped swiftly to the clearing. When he arrived, he approached the tree warily. He didn’t even know if he would be able to enter her world, he had never tried. Taking a deep breath and grasping his bow firmly in his hand, he laid his palm on the trunk of the tree.

Legolas could not describe the feeling that hit him. It felt as if he had been knocked from his horse. He couldn’t have prepared himself if he had tried. How Adalia had already done this twice, he did not know. He was startled out of his thoughts as he hit the ground and dropped into a crouch.

The sun was setting behind the trees. The air smelled different here, wherever here was. It wasn’t as clean or fresh. Sounds of all different sorts assailed his ears, nearly drowning out the trees around him.

Glancing around him, he leapt into one of the trees and moved silently through the branches, settling himself to look out at what appeared to be some sort of park. He watched as human children laughed and ran through the trees, their parents laughing and chasing them. His eyes followed aged couples, walking hand in hand down several paths.

A sad smile graced his lips as he wished for Adalia to be at his side again. Allowing his eyes to focus on another young couple, he gave a start and nearly fell out of the tree. Adalia was walking with another man, looking as if time had not touched her. His heart fell as the man kissed Adalia’s cheek, smiling and then walking away.

Legolas watched with mixed feelings as Adalia came towards him. She glanced around herself and then entered among the trees, stopping in front of that ancient beech. He remained silent as he watched her; not sure what she was going to do or how he should react.

Her back was to him as she sighed. “Blasted tree,” she said quietly. “You gave me a life filled with love and happiness and then you took it away.” A small laugh came from her lips. “And here I am talking to a tree. Wouldn’t Legolas be proud.”

“Indeed he would,” said Legolas, jumping down from the branch and standing behind her.

Adalia whirled around as she opened her mouth to scream. The note died on her lips as she saw him. “Legolas?” she whispered, as if she couldn’t believe it. She reached out and touched his arm, afraid that he would fade away. “Legolas!”

She threw her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. His arms circled her waist for a moment before he pulled away reluctantly. “You are more beautiful than I can remember. Yet, your heart no longer rests with me.”

“What in the world are you talking about?”

“That man you were walking with. He now holds your heart, does he not?”

Adalia stared at him for a moment before bursting out in laughter. “My dear luchador! I could never love anyone as I have loved you. That man was my brother.”

Legolas’ eyes widened. “Your brother?” Adalia laughed again, before pulling his head down to hers, kissing him firmly.

“Yes, my brother. Now, come on, You need to get out of the open.” She pulled on his hand, leading him through the trees till she came to an open street. Biting her lip, she turned to him. “We’re going to have to run the remainder of the way. It’s out in the open, but there shouldn’t be that many people out. At least I hope there aren’t that many people out. Just follow me, okay?”

He nodded. Adalia took a deep breath and then darted out onto the sidewalk, Legolas on her heels. The two made it to her building, in record time, though not without a few curious looks from strangers.

Legolas followed her up the stairs to her apartment, glancing around curiously as he went. She opened a door at the top of one of the sets of stairs and motioned for him to enter. Only the light coming in through the window lighted the room. Soft music floated through the air, sounds that reminded him of home.

“The music reminds me of Middle-Earth,” Adalia admitted with a small smile. She sighed and looked around her before moving to a different room, kicking a pair of shoes out of her way as she went. “Do you want something to drink?” she called back.

“That would be fine,” he replied, picking up a frame on one of the tables. Adalia was hugging the man that she had called her brother. He shook his head at his own stupidity for becoming jealous.

Adalia walked back out and handed him a glass. “Sorry, I don’t have any wine with me at the moment. That’s just water.” He took the glass, but set it down again. He walked over to her and pulled her against him, just wanting to know the feeling of having her in his arms again.

Tears slid down Adalia’s face. She had missed him so much and now he was back. “I think I figured out what that tree is about. It does the exact opposite of what you want it to do.”

He pulled away and reached up to wipe away the tears on her face. “What do you mean?”

“Well, the first time, I didn’t want to go anywhere of course. So it brought me to Mirkwood. Then when I tried to go back, it didn’t let me go because I wanted to. The last time, it brought me back here because I didn’t want to leave you. Does that make sense?”

Legolas nodded. “But then, why am I here? I wanted to come and find you.”

“Did you really?” He opened his mouth to protest, but Adalia cut him off. “I have no doubt that you really wanted to come and find me, but deep down, you didn’t know what to expect. As much as you probably don’t want to admit it, you were scared about what you were going to find.”

The elven prince closed his eyes. “I was scared that I had waited too long,” he whispered. “I was scared that you would be gone.”

Adalia leaned her head on his shoulder. “Well, I’m still here.” She paused as she rested against him. “Legolas, what were you planning on doing once you found me?”

He considered her question for a moment before answering. “Honestly, I hadn’t really thought of that. I left rather abruptly. I did not really think that it would matter as long as I was with you.”

Adalia lifted her head up to look in his eyes. “Legolas, you would never fit in here,” she said quietly. She reached up and brushed the pointed tip of his ear with her hand. “There are no elves here. There were humans in your world so that I was at least not totally out of place, but there is nothing other than humans here.”

He shrugged. “It would make no difference to me. As long as I am with you, it doesn’t matter.”

Tears began to slide down Adalia’s face as she realized what she was going to have to ask him. “Legolas, what will you do when I die? You will be here, maybe trapped here. You will hate my world, with the way my people destroy everything around us. You can’t possibly stay here.”

“Adalia, I came to find you. Now that I have, I could not be happier. I love you with all my heart, lindor.”

More tears slid down her face before Legolas reached up and wiped them away. “Luchador, I love you. You made me happy. But, I can’t keep you here. As much as I don’t want to say this… you have to go.”

He stared at her in disbelief and she turned her head away, pulling out of his embrace. “Adalia, do you want me to go?”

She shook her head furiously, her back to him. “I want nothing more than for you to stay with me; it’s all I’ve wanted for the past year. You have no idea how many times I’ve tried to return. But I couldn’t. That tree seems to only be there to destroy lives.”

“Then why can’t I stay here with you?”

She sighed in frustration. “I don’t WANT you to go. God, Legolas.” She turned to him and promptly broke down into sobs. He moved back over to her, pulling her trembling body against him.

“Adalia,” she looked up at him and swiped at her eyes with her hand. “Adalia, at least let me stay with you for one more night.”

She smiled halfheartedly at him. “All this time I had always wished that I could at least say goodbye. I guess, now I get my chance.” He leaned down and captured her lips with his own.



Legolas smiled as he opened his eyes. He reveled in the feeling of Adalia, safe in his arms. He gazed down at her, asleep and peaceful. Her back was pressed firmly against his chest, her soft breathing reaching his ears. He sighed and glanced out the window, seeing that it was still dark. The previous night came to him, the words that were spoken. He could not imagine being without her, but she was right; he did not belong here. Placing a soft kiss on the corner of her mouth, he silently climbed out of bed and got dressed.

When Legolas was done, his quiver and knives strapped to his back, he stood in the doorway to the bedroom. He walked over to the side of the bed and crouched down, looking at Adalia. He ran his fingers lightly down her face, saddened by what he was about to do.

“Lindor,” he whispered quietly. She stirred, but didn’t awaken. “Lindor, I love you with all my heart. And I do not wish to cause you pain. So I will leave, and spare you from having to ask me again. Remember that I love you and that there shall be no other.”

Kissing her softly one last time, he stood up and left. He knew that he would be able to return home, because he wanted nothing more than to remain asleep, next to Adalia. He glanced around the apartment one last time and placed one of his arrows on her desk, knowing she would find it there.

When Adalia awoke hours later, the first thing she noticed was that Legolas was not next to her. She sat up abruptly in bed, looking around her. She brought a hand to her head, wondering if it had all been a dream.

Gathering the sheet around her, she padded out of the bedroom, finding nothing out of place. But on her desk sat one of Legolas’ arrows. Adalia drew in a sharp breath and picked up the shaft, tears falling down her face as she did so. She loved Legolas and he loved her. Brushing the light feathers at the end against her cheek, she inhaled the woodsy smell. They would be apart physically, but that was all. Their love would always hold them together.

i'tela



| Index |