The Other Side of Reality: Part II
by Alexandra
------

Adalia sighed and leaned against a tree. Hours had passed since Rina went to Mirkwood. Adalia had gone back to the apartment only to find it destroyed. Those men were definitely looking for something. She began walking through the trees, back to the place where she had last seen her daughter.

Adalia was so lost in her thoughts, that she didn’t notice the man that came looming up behind her. A hand clamped over her mouth as she was drawn against a hard chest. “Where is your daughter?” he hissed into her ear.

Adalia gave a muffled yell in protest, knowing she would rather die than let any harm come to Rina. She struggled against his grasp, but he only threw her against a tree, anchoring her there with his weight. That was his mistake, for the tree was that age-old beech.

They fell against the ground, in a different setting than the one they had left. Adalia began to struggle to her feet and yelled “Tua! Tua!” into the woods, hoping the elves would hear her cry for help. A blow to her head left her dazed as she hit the ground. The man straddled her hips and brought his hand on Adalia’s throat, cutting off her air.

Adalia gasped for breath, trying to struggle against the much larger man. She was starting to slip into unconsciousness when the weight was gone from on top of her. She could drag in some ragged gasps once again and she opened her eyes to see the man with an arrow in his shoulder, several more trained on him.

Adalia was helped to her feet and steadied. “Lady Adalia?” asked a familiar voice worriedly.

“Giliath?” she mumbled, sounding like she was only half-awake.

“Yes, it is I. Come, we will go back to the palace.” He picked her up in his arms as Adalia fought to regain her breath. After walking for a while, Adalia struggled out of Giliath’s arms.

“I want to see Legolas on my feet,” she said. The elf nodded and continued to walk with her in front, the rest of the elves guarding the man. Giliath had been on his way to the clearing when he heard her cry. Running to the sound, he had shot an arrow at the man, his guard aiming at him. He had been surprised to see Adalia, though thankful.

They came to the palace and Giliath pushed open the door, the others following. “Mommy!” came a joyful shout and Rina launched herself into Adalia’s arms.

“Oh thank God you’re all right,” she gasped, kneeling down to hug her child. “Everything’s okay angel, mommy’s here now.”

Giliath walked over to where Legolas stood watching. “That man over there was attacking Adalia, suffocating her to be more precise,” explained the elf. “We got there just in time.”

Legolas looked at the man with no sympathy. “Lock him up,” the Elvenking growled. “I will speak with him later.”

Giliath nodded and shoved the staring man out of the room. At that moment, Adalia stood up, letting go of Rina. She caught sight of Legolas, standing at the head of the room. Her eyes widened, filling with tears. Adalia ran to him, as best she could on weak legs.

Legolas caught her as she stumbled, his anger at the man mixing with his love for the woman. “Lindor,” he whispered into her hair. He held her close, hardly believing that she was back. She lifted her tear-streaked face up to his, searching for his eyes.

“Luchador,” she began, but was cut off as he captured her lips with his own. They had been separated for far too long. They pulled away and Adalia smiled as he wiped away her tears. “I missed you Legolas.”

The elf smiled brightly. “Not more than I missed you.”

Rina walked over and tugged on Adalia’s shirt. “Mommy, why were you kissing Legolas?”

Adalia leaned down and picked up the child. “Rina, angel. Mommy loves Legolas like she loves you. Remember how I told you that one day you would get to meet your father? Well, Legolas is your daddy.”

Both Rina and Legolas’ eyes went wide. Rina looked at Legolas who noticed that she had his eyes. “You’re my dad?”

The Elvenking looked at Adalia who smiled. “Yes, Rina.” The child watched him uncertainly before holding her short arms out to him. She immediately trusted him and he instantly fell in love with the child as he lifted her into his arms.

Tears welled up in Adalia’s eyes at the thought of someone hurting her daughter. Legolas noticed and pulled away from the child. “Why don’t you go with Laurelin to see the horses? Would you like that?”

Rina grinned and nodded. She kissed Legolas on the cheek before running over to where Laurelin waited. They disappeared out the door, leaving them alone with the ever watchful guards.

Legolas took Adalia’s hand, leading her to his chambers. When he closed the door behind them, Adalia sat on the bed, watching him. “What happened lindor?” he asked quietly.

She entwined her fingers with his before starting. “Someone broke into our apartment. He wasn’t hard to defeat but I seriously doubt that he was there for money. So I grabbed Rina out of her room and ran. I panicked. I went to the park and told Rina to touch that blasted tree. I could only pray that she ended up in Mirkwood like I did, so I turned and ran when I heard footsteps.”

She paused to take a deep breath, Legolas’ hands tightening around her own. “Then a guy I didn’t see caught me. He wanted Rina. I wouldn’t tell him because I would rather die than lose my daughter. He thew me against the tree and we came here because I didn’t want to lead him to her. He began choking me and Giliath showed up right before I was about to pass out.”

Adalia closed her eyes as Legolas pulled her into his arms. Tears welled up and fell down her face, though she tried to fight them. “They were after Rina, Legolas,” she nearly sobbed into his shoulder. “Rina is all that’s kept me going after you left. Finding out I was pregnant with your child was something of a miracle to me. I named her memory because every time I look at her, she reminds me of you. Why would someone want to hurt her? She’s only a child.”

“I don’t know lindor,” he whispered, stroking her hair. “But you’re here now. You know that I would give my life for you willingly. The same goes for Rina, our child.”

Adalia sniffled, wiping at her eyes. She hated crying and Legolas smiled at the action. She returned the smile. “I’m just glad I’m back with you. Here, I know that I’m safe.”


| Part III |
| Index |