The Other Side of Reality: Part VII
by Alexandra
------

Adalia groaned as she woke up, placing a hand on her head. Pulling her hand away she noticed the blood on her fingers. She didn’t even remember being hit. She sat up and leaned against the cold wall behind her. Glancing around the dark room that she seemed to be in, she cursed.

"This is a nice bit that I’ve gotten into," she muttered. The child within her kicked as if agreeing with her and she chuckled. "Your mother is a smart one."

Standing up, she began to make her way around the bare room, seeing if there was any way to get out besides the obviously bolted wooden door. She ran her fingers over the rock walls, looking for any concealed fissures and finding none.

Adalia sighed and leaned back against the wall. She didn’t know where she was; not that it would help her much if she did. She stood straighter when she heard the door being unlocked and one of the men looked in. "Come," he said simply.

Hoping to find a way out, she obliged the man, following him down through the caverns. He led her into one of the rooms, where Aeglos sat in contemplation. The elf rose and smiled at her.

"Adalia, it is good to see you awake."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I’m sure that you’re just thrilled that I’m still alive. Where are we?"

"We are within the Misty Mountains, though that knowledge will do you no good." He took a step towards her and went to place his hand over her stomach. "The child grows strong."

She stepped back and hit his hand away. "The child is Legolas’, of course he is strong. And don’t even think of touching me again."

His blue eyes shown with merriment. "And you shall do what to me if I do?"

Adalia clearly hadn’t thought that part through yet. "I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Or burn it, whichever is more convenient."

He laughed and Adalia had to try not to shudder at the sound. "A sarcastic mortal you are. How my brother could fall in love with you is beyond me."

"As is all other forms of intelligence," shot Adalia. "Now what the hell do you want? Because I would like to go back home if it’s not too much trouble."

"You will not be returning home any time soon. The throne of Mirkwood rightfully is mine and I plan on taking that back."

"It was your own fault you fell during battle," she said. "Not Legolas’ or mine. Hell, I wasn’t even alive then. So why take it out on us?"

"Because you are what stand in my way."

Adalia sighed in frustration. "Why is it that all bad guys only have one track minds? Really, you’d think that you’d be smart enough to know that you’re not going to win. You never will, so get that through your dense skull."

Aeglos’ eyes snapped with fury as he walked toward her. Adalia backed up to the wall, wondering if she had just gone too far. "I shall win," he hissed. Her back was to the wall and he was all too close for comfort. Aeglos placed his hand on Adalia’s middle. "And you and your child are going to help me."

The child kicked at where Aeglos’ hand rested and he recoiled in shock and then anger. "Take her back to the cell."

Adalia couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief when he backed away. Patting her stomach reassuringly, she let the man lead her out.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Legolas waited impatiently as the rest of the initial party gathered. The palace had been full of activity after the news of Adalia’s capture spread. Legolas has spent some time with Rina, making sure that she was all right before leaving her with Laurelin. Word had been sent to Elladen and Elrohir, and what there was of the army of Rivendell would arrive soon.

Legolas did not have the patience to wait for it. So he was organizing an assault with half of Mirkwood’s army to go to the Misty Mountains. When the sons of Elrond arrived, then the rest would follow.

As soon as the last of the elves were mounted, Legolas turned and galloped out of the courtyard. They rode hard for a short time before one of the guards that was scouting ahead called for a halt. He dismounted and knelt near the ground. Legolas did the same and came over to the guard. "What is it?"

He pointed at two different pools of red on the ground. "It is blood. One is elvish blood. The other is mortal blood."

Legolas’ despair and anger rose up as one. He looked around and saw no one nearby. "Giliath must have gone after Adalia," he observed, trying to keep a hold on his emotions. "Let us hope he gets there before we do because I fear in my heart that Adalia is hurt. Let us keep going!"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Giliath crept quietly through the halls of stone, trying to figure out where Adalia was. He had followed at a safe distance always making sure that he could hear them, though they could not know of his presence. The trek had taken some time, but they had ended up at the Misty Mountains soon enough.

Now Giliath was hoping to find Adalia and sneak out quietly. He was about to round a corner when he heard footsteps. Leaning into the wall, hoping the shadows would conceal him, he notched an arrow to the string and waited.

A man led Adalia down the corridor. She seemed all right, save the dried blood on her forehead. He opened a wooden door and Adalia stopped. "What makes you think that I’m going to willingly go in there again?"

The man drew his sword and pointed it at her. "The fact that I am armed and you are not. As well as the fact that there are far too many of us for one simple woman to outsmart."

Giliath moved from the shadows, his arrow aimed at the man. Adalia caught sight of him and worked on not letting the joy she felt creep into her statement. "Well, this simple woman can be a pain to deal with when she’s pissed. And it’s even worse when you piss off her friends."

The man was about to respond when he felt the point of an arrow rest against his neck. "Drop your weapon," said Giliath.

The sword fell from his fingers to clatter to the ground. Adalia moved to stand behind Giliath, glancing around to make sure that there were no more guards. "We need to get out of here Giliath. Now."

He nodded and began to back away, his arrow still pointed at the guard. The man turned slowly to watch the two. As soon as they had disappeared around the corner, he ran to Aeglos. The elf would not be happy, but he would be even less so if the woman was allowed to escape.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Legolas drew his horse up when something above the trees caught his eye. Arrows. Lots of arrows at that. They were quite close to the Misty Mountains, and soon cries reached their ears. Humans were yelling to one another, though their words were still indecipherable. The arrows were getting dangerously close when two figures appeared down the trail.

Giliath and Adalia were both fatigued, but they didn’t dare stop running. Somehow they had gotten out alive, but now the men that were loyal to Aeglos were shooting at them. They saw the elves ahead of them and willed their legs to move faster.

Things seemed to slow down then for Legolas. He ordered his archers to the front and told them to try and stop the opposing shooters. The flow of arrows slowed as the two people drew closer. But time stopped as the final arrow loosed by the enemy struck Adalia in the shoulder.

Adalia cried out and fell to the ground. The arrows had stopped and Legolas leapt from his horse, running to where Giliath crouched next to her. "Adalia!" he exclaimed, dropping to his knees next to her. He eyed the blood on her shoulder as well as on her forehead.

"Legolas," she choked out before crying again as Giliath fingered the wound. Tears streamed unbidden down her face as the pain radiated from her shoulder. "Aeglos is there," she said. "We barely got out."

"Save your strength Adalia," advised Giliath as he got a grip on the arrow. Legolas grasped her hands as the arrow was pulled out. Adalia gave a heart-wrenching scream as the rest of the army of Mirkwood looked on in despair.

Legolas sighed with relief when he saw that the arrow had not been poisoned. "It is all right lindor," he whispered, lifting her into his arms. "You are safe now, things will be all right." He placed her on his horse and one of the guards steadied her as he waited for the Elvenking to mount.

Legolas looked at Adalia, anger rising within him at her condition. He drew Giliath aside. "Giliath, take my horse and bring Adalia back. Make sure her wounds are treated."

Giliath looked at him. "Are you not coming?"

Legolas shook his head. "I have to face Aeglos, this cannot happen again. If I don’t return-"

"You will return," replied Giliath firmly.

"We can only hope. If I should not, please watch over Adalia. Raise my child as your own. And rule over Mirkwood until the children are old enough."

Giliath stared at Legolas’ serious statement. "Legolas, I could never-"

"Giliath," cut off Legolas, placing a hand on his friend’s shoulder. "I trust you with my life and with the lives of my family. Now I am trusting you to watch over Mirkwood should I fail."

"I will do what you ask with a heavy heart. But you will not fail."

Legolas sighed. "Aeglos is strong, stronger than I. We shall see. Now please Giliath, go and help Adalia." With a small smile he disappeared into the trees.

Giliath turned and mounted Legolas’ horse, Adalia in front of him. He motioned for the others to follow him and set off at a swift pace. It was when the palace was in sight that Adalia asked, "Where is Legolas?"

The elf paused. "He went to find Aeglos. He will be back soon."

She nodded only marginally, her strength nearly depleted. Giliath had to help her down from the horse when they stopped within the courtyard. As soon as Adalia’s feet hit the ground, she froze in shock and gasped.

Giliath turned to her, concerned. "What is it?"

Adalia was beyond shocked. With her eyes wide, she looked down and whispered, "It is way too early. It’s simply too early." Suddenly she gave an outcry of pain, Giliath catching her before she fell. She was holding her stomach, and glanced up, squeezing out the words, "The child is coming!"

Without a second though, Giliath picked her up and ran towards her room, yelling for healers as he went.


| Part VIII |
| Index |