Giving Life
by KimmyLynn

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Disclaimer: They don't belong to me, and I am using them without permission. The concept of SubReality, and the SubReality cafe belong to Kielle. Saqarra, Kethrie, Ember, and the others; as well as "The Pit" belong to me. I am making no profit from this, please don't sue.
Note:Okay, here is the Sub-Reality fic that I was talking about. It deals with the Leggys from various fics that I am currently writing or planning to write; and what happens when a writer has writer's block. It was supposed to be funny, as most SubReality fics are. But as you will see, I am just not a funny person.
Feedback: Feedback? I am addicted to it, please feed my habit. *grin*
-----

Legolas walked into the club, allowing his eyes to adjust to the dim light. He scanned the crowd, noting the always present swarms of Merrys and Pippins on the dance floor. It was a phenomanon that never ceased to amaze him, the almost universal way that all Merrys and Pippins were created. The two young hobbits, always getting into one mischief or another. Always being a nuisance, always too playful for their own good. Almost universally, that was what you found. He shook his head, glad that he wasn't one of them; thankful that his creator saw something different even in those two.

Weaving through the crowd, he made his way to the back booth. He smiled at the others already seated there, his creator's stable of Legolas'. They all smiled wearily at him, their eyes dark and anxious. It had been so long since any of them had been called, and they were all getting restless and angry. He slid into the booth, nodding at the bartender to send over his usual. The arguing started almost immediately. "How long is this going to go on?", one of them grumbled.

"How should I know.", he shot back.

"You're her favorite.", they all hissed.

"What? How do you figure that?"

"Doesn't take a genius.", the elf across from him growled. "Look at what she has done to all of us."

"Yeah, look at what we have been through. And look at what she does for you. It's brutally obvious that you are her favorite."

"Oh yeah, she has been ever so kind to me. Or had you all forgotten that I am in love with a man.", he snarled.

"Yes, the king of Rivendell. Trapped in a beautiful land, immortal; not a care in the world. That must be sooo horrible. She killed me, remember? Tore me to shreds and put me in the ground.", the elf to his right growled.

"I know."

"And the others, what about them? One is pining away for a dead woman, one is in love with an elf who has some odd relationship with a wolf, one is destined to burn in hell. And as long as we are talking about getting screwed, let's not forget that Infamous is over and done with; and those guys have been replaced by the Gossamer crew. So, don't tell us that you have it so tough; or that she doesn't favor you. She loves you."

Legolas put his head in his hands, rubbing hard at his eyes. It was always the same thing, ever since this attack of writer's block had put them all on edge. As the days wore on, they continued to tear at each other; releasing pent up emotions. And why was it that he was always the martyr, the one left bloodied at the end; the only one that seemed to see the truth?

"She loves him.", he whispered. "That is why we are all here, because she loves him."

"Oh great, another lesson in how we are all just fictives; figments of the over-active imaginations of some very creative people. Yes, yes; we know all that Legolas. But that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't love us, or him. When are you going to see that. Look at us, tell us that this is love."

"Why don't you break it down for me then, enlighten me.", he growled.

"Fine, let's start with me. Love Never Dies, a beautiful sentiment in the beginning. But then Aragorn comes along and ruins it all on the hardwood floor. I am tormented for months, finally finding the courage to just end it. But no, then I get sucked back in. Okay, at least I get the girl. Then boom, I'm dead and buried. Oh yeah, she loves me. Or how about Fallen, nothing like an eternity burning in hell to show how much you care. Infamous you say? A whole series spent watching the person you love sleep with all your friends, watching her fall for Boromir. And then, when she finally admits she loves you, she dies. And Tangled Skein, pining away for a dead woman. Yeah, that's romantic. And Masquerade, the worst of the bunch. In love with Aragorn , obssessed with Aragorn's girl, watching your best friend fall in love with Pippin. And we all know the dark ideas that are swirling around as to how it all ends. Face it Legolas, she doesn't love us, she doesn't love him."

They all nodded their agreement, none of them willing to see the truth that shone so brightly in her words. How could they be so blind, them of all fictives. They were her creations, the embodiement of all she knew and dreamed him to be. How could they not feel the truth with every beat of their hearts?

"Nothing is as it seems; at least not always. While everything you said is true, it misses the point. In the end, there is love; without exception. Love Never Dies, you said it yourself Legolas; you got Kethrie. She loved you, loved you enough to have Kethrie die for you. Fallen, she is going to make you more powerful than anyone could imagine. Power beyond belief, not to mention a really sexy fallen angel that loves you. Or how about Infamous, since you brought it up. She loved you, loved you enough to spare you the pain she knew Rayna would bring you. And Tangled Skein, hell you know how that turns out. And Masquerade... Well, I'll give you that one, since we don't know what will come of it. But the point is this, we are here; we live because of her. She gave us life, and there is nothing more powerful than that. She loved us enough to bring us into existence, loved him enough to sit down and write. And when it is all said and done, it always comes back to him. He is her bright star, her inspiration. And from that, we are born."

Silence fell over them, all eyes staring down at the table. It was the same argumant every time, sometimes they listened and sometimes they didn't. Tonight, they listened. Tonight they stopped and listened to the voice that whispered through their veins; that spoke in the steady beating of their hearts. Tonight they called a truce, and decided to have another round of beers; turning their animosity toward the swarms of Pippins and Merrys that filled 'The Pit'. Tomorrow would be another story all together.


| Index |