The Tenth Walker: Part III
Author: Sheboo aka Ryo Hija
-----

Night shifted to early morning, and then to high noon; it was a couple of hours after that when Kiah finally woke up. One glance at her watch did no good, as it hadn’t advanced since she first arrived in Mirkwood. She didn’t know what time she’d fallen back to sleep, for the prince’s ugly attitude left her pacing back and forth, coupled with the impending decision she had yet to make. Even if I agree to do it, there’s still the issue of the second prophecy which nobody knows. It’s a lose-lose situation, K, no matter how you look at it. 

Now that she was awake, she noticed several things: a tray full of food on the nightstand, steam from a sunken hole in the floor on the south side of the room, and her wearing nothing but her bra and panties. 

“What the hell…? What was in that potion?” Kiah mumbled as she left the bed, wrapping a sheet around her. Where are my clothes? “Cadrieldur? Cadrieldur!” she stomped her way to the door, swinging it open wide. The two elves on the other side turned to regard her, only to avert their gaze. 

“Where’s Cadrieldur, and where are my clothes?” she demanded. 

“Your chambermaid has taken your things to be washed, Lady Kiah. Cadrieldur is in training,” informed the left guard. 

“Well please tell him that I want to talk to him,” she said. 

“I cannot, milady. He is not to be disturbed.” 

Kiah placed one hand on her hip while the other held her sheet tight against her. “Oh really? Said who?” 

“Said I, milady,” came the response from an unwelcomed voice. From her right Legolas approached in his royal green attire, led by another blonde elf who carried her clothes and what looked like toiletries. A very slight grin was on his handsome face, as if he were in a better mood than before. 

Kiah’s eyes grew cold; she clamped her jaw while stepping aside to allow the maid entrance before following her quickly and slamming the door in Legolas’ face. The two guards stood shocked, unsure of what to do. Never had they known anyone to show their prince such disrespect. Never had they seen him so angry; his fair face was turning pink, and his eyes flashed like sapphires. 

You two are excused. I will stand watch until she leaves,” he commanded in a soft but undeniably livid tone. In the blink of an eye the guards scattered, leaving him in front of the door, legs slightly agape, arms folded over his chest, his lips forming a thin, angry line. He’d intended to apologize for the things he’d said last night. A small discussion with Gandalf was enough to elicit guilt from Legolas. He’d swallowed his pride and asked Cadrieldur to forgive his attitude. I see that apologizing to this human will be a more arduous task. 

Barely a minute had elapsed before the door reopened and ushered out the maid. Her pretty face bore an insulted look, her pale blue eyes lit with annoyance. They widened briefly when the door shut loudly behind her. 

“What has happened?” Legolas inquired, all thoughts of peace fading quickly. 

It would appear that I am unfit to attend to the lady, my prince. I have served as a chambermaid for the last six centuries, but this is the first time someone has disallowed my duty,” she huffed. 

Pray tell, what exactly happened?” pressed Legolas. When the maid began explaining Kiah’s uneasiness at being undressed and bathed by another female, and how she’d insisted she was a ‘grown-ass woman’ and could wash her own self, the elf prince’s anger subsided quicker than it rose. 

She is not aware of our—or any other—customs in Middle Earth. It will take the lady time to adjust,” he attempted to soothe, adding a small, understanding smile for effect…it worked. Kiah’s assigned maid was less offended, giving a polite curtsy to her prince and moving down the hall. He turned his attention back to the door. With his keen hearing he could tell exactly when the telekinetic had stepped into the bath. He heard a wince followed by a deep sigh, followed by three breathy words: “Oh hell yeah…” 

In spite of himself, Legolas cocked a half-grin, but it didn’t last long when he recalled what Gandalf had revealed to him about Kiah. Though the elf prince was a stickler for details and specifics, the wizard gave him just the bare essentials, insisting that the telekinetic would share her story in her own way, in her own time. Instead, he learned that Kiah and her daughter Asalie were the sole survivors of her entire family, who was imprisoned and tortured for their “magical” gift. Gandalf shared that the one who betrayed her was her former husband, who was now dead. 

This snippet of information was enough to soften the prince’s harsh opinion of the human, and also to peak his curiosity. When he had attempted to press for more information, Thranduil had interrupted, telling his son, “You will have time enough to ask Kiah these questions. Whatever the Council’s decision may be, you will follow and protect her to the end.” 

Legolas’ response had been shock and disbelief. “You believe she will agree to this?” The answer was a knowing grin from Gandalf. 

“I believe that Kiah Goutier will do what she knows is right and just. She always has.” 

 

As the heated water eased her tension, Kiah looked at the vaulted ceiling which seemed to shine brighter with the sun. A series of images began to play through her mind, all which worked in forming a decision. She first saw her teenaged self asking her mother why she should help people who don’t like or understand her. Her mother’s answer then—as was hers to Asalie now—was “We help because we have to, Chere. God gave us this gift, and we must use it, in spite of how others treat us. He’s their judge, not us.” 

The longing that one scene produced in her heart turned to silent rage with the next one of being strapped down on an examiner’s table, with one of the Packard scientists looming over her, tapping the huge syringe of the needle. “Now just relax, Number 42. This won’t hurt…much.” Even now she could feel the sharp pain, as the serum worked into her blood and rendered her paralyzed from the neck down. Her screams echoed in her mind, forcing her to shut her eyes in a weak effort to shut them out. 

The screams she remembered mingled with those of another; reopening her eyes, Kiah recalled her ex-husband falling to the floor in the Palantine ballroom, a huge smoldering wound on his left side. Absently, she rubbed her right hand over the diagonal scar that ran the width of her abdomen. This was what the pyrokinetic soldier had done to her, before Marcus had intercepted the second shot with his body. “Baby, I never stopped loving you,” he had croaked out before dying beside her and their daughter. 

The last image that flashed through was of Kiah and Asalie two years ago, returning to Xinal after being gone for six years. Seeing her parents’ house still standing in good condition was a poignant, bittersweet moment for mother and child. “No more running, no more hiding, Petite,” she had said to the young teenager. “We’ve finally come full circle. Now we can begin again. 

Kiah sighed slowly; she reached for the sponge, lathered it with the lavender-scented soap, and began to wash, a loose symbol of her washing away the guilt of what she’d decided. I’m sorry, but I can’t, I can’t stay here for God knows how long, fighting for a cause that has nothing to do with me. Six years was enough to lose without my Petite; I can’t go through that again…I’m sorry. 

Minutes rolled into another hour before she was done and stepped out of the tub. The telekinetic stretched out her right hand towards the huge hunter green bath towel, which flew to her and wrapped itself tight around her body. A quick pointed gaze at her watch on the floor sent it floating into her hand. As she put it on, she noticed something strange: when she’d arrived in the training court, the time was 3:08pm, Standard Earth Time. Now, it displayed 3:09. 

What the…? This thing can’t be broke; I just put a fresh battery in last week. Alright, K, let’s think about this…could it be possible…nah, there’s no way. That’s straight sci-fi thinking there…but then again so is psionic power. Maybe it could be; maybe time moves faster here than back home. So, if twenty-four hours here takes up just one minute there, then that means…. Kiah offered a quick silent prayer, hoping that her mediocre calculations were right. An old image of her grandmother smiling at her with pride seemed to confirm that changing her mind was the right thing to do. 

 

When the suite door opened, the first person Kiah—now fully dressed and fed—saw was Legolas. Whatever good vibe she was feeling faded at that moment. Oh shit, he’s still here. Alright, girlie, put last night in the past, and just go on with it. 

“Is Cadrieldur still training?” she asked, her tone polite and yet still a bit cold for the elf prince’s liking. 

“Yes, he is. Why do you ask for him?” Legolas tried to keep his voice polite, while trying to ignore his insulted ego. It was certainly clear that the human preferred the captain’s company over his…a rare experience for the prince. 

Kiah crossed her arms over her chest, regarding the prince warily. “I thought he would be the one to walk me around here. How much longer until he’s through?” 

“A couple of hours, at the least.” 

“I see…I guess I’ll just be waiting a couple of hours, won’t I?” she said, moving to open the door and reenter the room. 

“You will allow me to escort you…please,” he added quickly, noting the raised eyebrow she gave him. 

Kiah looked at Legolas and snorted. “Yeah right. You, escort me? Where to, the dungeon? The gallows? The damn guillotine? I don’t think so, Mr. ‘I think I’ll try to kill Kiah today’. I’ll pass…I’m sure you’ll understand.” 

“You are the one who appeared uninvited. We were merely defending our kingdom, milady. I am certain you will understand. Also, need I remind you that Cadrieldur was also prepared to defend against you?” the prince countered, feeling his blood pump a little faster just as he could feel her power’s energy radiating from her. 

Kiah moved until they were like last night, chest to chest...almost. “Need I remind you that you were the first to launch not only an arrow, but a dagger, at my damn head?” she clipped. 

“Enough of this,” he dismissed with a wave of his hand, which stopped the telekinetic at the beginning of her tirade. “We waste time arguing over who did what. Your twenty-four hours have expired; Gandalf and my father are waiting, so if you please…milady, follow me.” Legolas extended his right arm for Kiah to hold. She rolled her eyes at him and stood at his side, no body contact between them. The prince clutched his jaw before striding to his father’s chambers. 

For the longest, the only sound in the stone corridors was that of Kiah stomping along side Legolas, who made absolutely no noise. Along the way, he offered a formal apology for what he did and said, in particular about her mother. Only then did she stop and turned to face him, her hazel eyes boring straight into his. He knew that any other human could actually wither beneath such a penetrating gaze. Instead he matched it, waiting for her to say something…Kiah just turned and kept on walking, her wavy hair moving fluidly. Legolas wondered what she wanted to say, and would have pressed to find out if not for Gandalf’s earlier words: “In her own time, in her own way.” 

Alright, K, you know the drill: do whatever the hell you have to, to get through, she thought to herself when they reached Thranduil’s chambers and entered. The elven king sat behind his massive oak desk, while Gandalf stood at his left. 

“I see that you are better, lady Kiah,” the king began. “Your consumption of so much wine last night had us concerned.” 

Kiah bowed before standing straight and shrugging. “It snuck up on me, that’s for sure. Thankfully Cadrieldur had this anti-hangover medicine that fixed me right up.” 

Thranduil and Gandalf both noticed the sharp look Legolas gave her at the mention of the guard’s name. What’s this? The wizard asked himself before addressing the telekinetic. “Kiah, you have had your requested time to consider the prophecy. What have you decided?” he asked gently. 

“I’ll do it. I’ll be this ‘Strong One’ of the Valar. How much time do I have to get ready?” she asked, her thumbs hooked in opposing belt loops on her pants. When Gandalf just stood and studied her with a curious gleam in her eyes, she snapped her fingers. “Middle Earth to Gandalf, how much time?” 

A pleased smile creased his wise and weathered visage. “The Council will meet on the 25th. It is a five day journey from Mirkwood, so you would have six days to prepare.” 

Kiah moved towards the desk, with Legolas following silently. He’d really expected her to refuse; after what she’d endured, he couldn’t blame her. Why did she accept? He wondered. 

“When this is over, and I’ve done what they brought me here to do…you will send me back, right? You will find that second prophecy and do your thing,” she asked for reassurance. 

“You have my word, Strong One,” Gandalf guaranteed. He extended his right hand, and grasped her right forearm when she did the same. 

“Good.” Shifting her gaze to the observing king, Kiah stated, “King Thranduil, I will need some things for this trip: clothes, weapons, and plants.” 

“Legolas will see that you get all you require, milady,” he finished before she could. Addressing his son, who had then moved beside her, the king further instructed, “Select five others to accompany you two. With the enemy on the move, and Kiah’s gift being temporarily limited, she will need the best protection.” 

Raising her hand, the petite woman interjected. “Hold up. What do you mean ‘you two’? He’s coming with me?” She jerked her thumb in Legolas’ direction, her calm and collected demeanor shifted to unpleasant surprise. 

“Yes he is, to the Council and wherever else you may have to go,” informed Gandalf. “Did he not tell you?” 

She kept her eyes focused on the wizard when she answered a tad curt, “No, he did not tell me.” The room was silent as those behind the desk watched Legolas, who was watching Kiah clamping on her jaw. After that tense moment had passed, she shook her head as if clearing her mind. “Fine, whatever, let’s just get this show on the road, okay?” She turned and looked up at the prince, hazel staring at azure eyes. “Where’s your seamstress? I need some new clothes.” 

Kiah didn’t have a clear idea of the time, but she reckoned a couple of hours had passed since announcing her decision. Her and Legolas’ first stop at the seamstress went better than she thought: the elf maid who didn’t look a day over twenty-five understood exactly what the telekinetic wanted, even down to underwear. The look on the elf prince’s face made her mouth twitch, which eventually broke into a chuckle when she explained, “I’m assuming I’ll be doing some running, jumping, climbing, and the like. I don’t need my unmentionables bouncing all over the place and getting in the way.” The way he averted her face, the tips of his ears turning a bright pink, was classic. Kiah didn’t doubt that on the next morning she would have several pairs of her pants and a combination of her shirt and an elf’s tunic waiting for her, all in the colors of Mirkwood. 

Their second stop was at one of the blacksmith shops, whereat she drew what she would need. She opted to do the talking instead of Legolas, communicating with the weapon maker in the common tongue. Just with the clothing, she was promised her weapons first thing in the morning: two modified Lungchuan single broadswords, twenty-two inches in total length, with the broad blade taking up sixteen inches. They were to be light enough to fight in the way she’d been training as a hobby since returning home: Latosa Escrima. Kiah would also receive a leather back scabbard; when asked what type of design she wanted on it, she simply asked for the elvish word for “Petite”, for her daughter. 

Now, the tall elf and short human exited the Healers’ House. The plants needed to make Tante Lucille’s healing salve would take a while to dry and grind, but the powder would be ready before their scheduled departure. Throughout most of their time together, Legolas stood in silence, watching the way Kiah talked without fear or nervousness, as if she’d known these people all her life. She was friendly to all she came across…except him. When it was just the two of them the light in those hazel eyes faded, as if he wasn’t worthy of it. I have apologized to her already, and have sworn to protect her, yet she is determined to keep this tension between us…typical human…typical human woman. 

As they walked back to his father’s home, Legolas made another attempt at conversation. “Last night, when you passed out from the wine, you said something in a different tongue: Je suis desole, Petite. Je vous promets que je serai revenue. What does that mean?” 

“’I am sorry, Petite. I promise you I will come back.’” 

“And who is Petite?” he inquired. 

The telekinetic glanced in his direction. “Someone I love more than my own life,” and left it at that. 

Legolas quickly deduced that her promise was for her daughter, which was perhaps not the topic to discuss just yet, so he tried another. “You chose swords over a staff, or even daggers…interesting.” 

Kiah shrugged. “Not really. You don’t have any of the weapons used in my world, nor the technology to build it, so I have to make do.” 

The prince felt like she’d just insulted his people, but wasn’t too sure. “Make do? How are your weapons different?” 

She didn’t lose a step while she explained. “Where I come from, very few people fight with swords, or daggers, or staffs. Bows and arrows are displayed in museums, mostly. Our weapons are different, destroying entire cities, countries.” Kiah turned to catch the offended heat of his gaze and added, “I didn’t say our weapons were better than yours. They’re just…different.” 

“How effective would they be against Sauron?” he quizzed, his tone clipped. 

Kiah didn’t hesitate to answer. “Someone could press a small button that would incinerate Mordor and wipe it off the map. Sauron would be bar-b-qued. Legolas,” she stopped, right in the middle of the training court, right where she stood 26 hours ago. “Can we not get into this comparison/contrast debate? It doesn’t do anybody any good, so let’s not go there, okay?” At that moment she turned to her right and saw Cadrieldur rounding up a few stray practice weapons and called out to him. 

The captain of the king’s guard smiled broadly when the petite woman said his name and waved at him; that smile didn’t last however, when he realized Legolas was with her. Even though he’d apologize that morning for his behavior, the guard saw anger flashing in the prince’s eyes. He nodded and continued gathering the weapons and returning them to storage. 

“What’s wrong with him?” Kiah asked and looked at her escort, and saw the answer. Perfect. Cadrieldur’s possibly my only friend in this damn place, and he goes and scares him off…perfect. Not even bothering to tell Legolas “bye, see you later”, she left in the center of the court and walked to her friend. 

“Hey, Cadrieldur…what’s up?” 

The elf looked up and around before returning his gaze to her. “I do not follow, milady.” 

Kiah smiled. “Sorry. It’s an statement in my world. It means ‘how are you doing?’” 

He returned her smile, temporarily ignoring the other blonde elf who silently approached them. “I am well, milady. And you? You did not suffer any more discomfort from the wine, did you?” 

“Oh no, you gave me the good stuff…fixed me up real good,” she winked. “I’m just…here, ready to save the world…I told Gandalf I’d stay and help,” she added, her tone a bit more serious. 

Cadrieldur’s heart was troubled by this revelation for two reasons: one, she would be in danger, and two, he wouldn’t be there to protect her. He’d rather she would return; though it would be amazingly hard to see her go, Kiah would at least be safe. Here, with the evil in Mordor growing daily, her safety was not totally guaranteed. “You did, milady? Do you realize the peril involved?” 

The telekinetic raised an eyebrow, careful not to mistake his concern for doubt in her ability. “It’s no bigger than what I lived for six years of my life, Cadrieldur. I’m a big girl, and I’ll be fine. But I do need your help.” 

“Anything, milady,” he said without hesitation. 

“I need to know what I could be up against, exactly. The wizard told me about orcs, trolls, goblins…but how do they fight? Are they fast, slow, agile, what? I need you to show me how they battle, so I can know how to take them out, if need be,” explained Kiah. 

Cadrieldur caught Legolas’ stare. “Milady, it would be an honor to teach you such things. However, Legolas is an excellent trainer; since he is to travel with you, perhaps it is better if you learn from him.” 

Kiah crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her head slightly to the right. “That may be true, but answer me this: who trained him?” 

“It was I.” 

“Then as far as I’m concerned, you are the expert. I’m not knocking anything off the prince, but I don’t train under the student. I train under the master. Will you teach me?” she asked. 

“There is not enough time, milady,” Cadrieldur tried to refuse, but to no avail. 

Kiah took his left hand and gave it a soft squeeze. “Please, Cadrieldur. I don’t want to know everything, just the basics…whatever will keep me from getting killed.” 

The look Legolas gave him silently commanded that he say no, but the guard found he couldn’t. For this woman, he realized he would do anything. “As you wish, milady. I will see you here at sunrise. I will teach you what you ask, and more as time will allow. Be prepared, because I shall instruct you like any other elf.” 

“I expect you to,” she said, steel resolution behind her smile. She watched him take his leave and then turned…running right into the elf prince. “How long have you been eavesdropping?” 

“It is impossible for me or my people to eavesdrop, as we can hear even the slightest whisper. However, to answer your question, I have been here long enough to hear your master-student comment,” he said, giving her a pointed look. Peace with Kiah is just an impossibility, regardless of what I say or do, thought Legolas, feeling frustrated. 

Kiah rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Whatever, okay? Whatever. If the shoe was on the other foot you’d ask for the same damn thing. So now that we have both pissed each other off, can we go back inside, in silence?” she asked and did just that, too ready to be away from the prince to care if he followed her or not. Jeez, I can’t even blink without him getting bent out of shape. This will be one long trip…shit. 

 

When Legolas had returned her to the sun suite, he informed that dinner would be shortly and then walked as fast as he could away from her. Kiah shrugged her shoulders and then entered to find a surprise on her bed: several gowns in blue or green shades with matching slippers. There was a note lying on one of the dresses, definitely not written in English. I’ll ask Cad to translate this later. 

There was a knock on the door; upon opening it, she recognized the chambermaid from earlier. The telekinetic offered a quick smile. “Hello again. What’s up?” 

 

Forty minutes passed before Kiah emerged from her room. Puwen—her maid and second elven “buddy”, after she’d apologized for her earlier bitchiness—helped her into the emerald green gown, making quick adjustments to the bodice so that her lady could breathe. She also managed to capture part of Kiah’s wavy hair in a braid that stopped just past her shoulders blades, small gardenias interwoven in the plaits. The rest flowed freely, with tendrils curled along the sides of her face. 

Two different guards stood watch outside the suite when she opened the door. Kiah was disappointed that their captain wasn’t there, but relieved that Legolas wasn’t either. It’s bad enough I’ll have to eat dinner with him tonight, and every night for that matter…perfect, she thought before signaling to them that she was ready. Together, all three walked down the north wing to the massive dining hall. Upon arriving, one of the guards asked Kiah for her full name. 

“For what?” she asked, one eyebrow raised. 

“So that you may be properly introduced to the other guests,” he explained, his brown eyes somewhat showing amusement at her ignorance of their customs. 

“That’s not really necessary, is it? How about if I just sort of blend in, eat a little, and then blend right out? Don’t need to let everyone know that I’m there, right?” 

The two exchanged looks for several moments, with the second guard fighting against his twitching smile… 

“King Thranduil, honored guests, presenting Lady Kiah Cherise Goutier,” the first guard announced once they opened the huge double doors. 

“Thanks a lot,” she mumbled and returned the stare that everyone at the expansive dining table gave her. All conversation came to a screeching halt; each elf performed his/her own silent observation of this woman whose was curiously darker and shorter than they. Screw this, I’m going back to the room, Kiah resolved, but then she saw Gandalf move towards her from the left, a wide smile on his face. 

“How late am I?” she asked, allowing him to take her hand in the crook of his arm and escort her to her seat. 

“You are right on time, Strong One. You look quite splendid, I must say,” complimented the wizard as he helped her into her seat, which was next to his, the first chair on Thranduil’s left. On the king’s right sat the prince and then Cadrieldur, both still looking at her in surprise. The rest of the dining guests seemed to recover from their initial shock and resumed their own conversations. 

“I feel quite out of place, I must say, but thanks for your compliment,” she muttered. 

While one of the waiting elves offered to pour her a goblet of wine—which she refused and requested water instead—the captain of the king’s guard was simply amazed at the vision before him. I thought she was beautiful before, but now…she is absolutely stunning, and completely unaware of it. Or maybe she is, and it does not matter to her. Valar, I know not whether to praise or curse you, for sending this astonishing creature here. Just being near her is like paradise, but being unable to touch her is like the deepest dungeons of Mordor…. Kiah flashed him a smile which brought him out of his thoughts long enough to smile back. Simply astonishing. 

Like his mentor and friend, Legolas had his own thoughts of the telekinetic, but they were not as complimentary. What happened to the witch from yesterday? From this afternoon, for that matter? She sits here now, appearing and acting like a lady, a pretty one at that…which one is the real Kiah? Look at her, chatting with my father and Gandalf, and smiling at Cadrieldur, who looks ready to jump over this table and do Valar knows what with her…she is truly an enchantress of the highest order. This entire mission is the worst choice anyone could make. 

After a bit of her three allies engaging her in conversation—excluding the prince, as they just ignored each other—and sampling some of the delicious food courses, Kiah’s level of comfort hadn’t increased. She spoke less, just nodded or shook her head. Legolas picked up on the vibe and believed it to be true. Going against his previous thoughts about her, he attempted to pose a question about her home when she suddenly stood, bid everyone near her a good night, and excused herself. Her guards met her at the double doors and quietly escorted her out. Several elves paused to watch her leave, but then resumed their discussions. 

Gandalf answered Thranduil’s slightly alarmed statement for Kiah. “The weight of her duty threatens to burden her down. 

Then that means she could change her mind,” feared the king, but the wizard just grinned. 

I said it threatens to be a burden, but it will not succeed. Her strength and pride will not allow it,” he assured. 

Cadrieldur followed Kiah’s every move, even turning his head to watch her leave. Legolas in turn watched him, his facial statement becoming unreadable. Both Thranduil and Gandalf saw this and gave each other the same look. This could be a slight problem, they unknowingly thought at the same time.  

 

Kiah didn’t know how much time had passed since she left the hall, maybe a half hour, maybe more. She’d paced her room, using her power to lift and twist small things, something she did when she was restless. But after a while that didn’t help, and so she moved to the balcony, still dressed up, staring at the moon. What was in her heart wasn’t the weight of duty as Gandalf believed, but it was sadness, and anger. She didn’t plan on backing down, for that wasn’t in her nature. But still, she was angry—no, she was pissed. Pissed at Marcus for betraying her all those years ago, pissed at the Packard Institute for its torturous experiments, pissed at herself for losing control and killing all those people, pissed again at herself for not listening to her family and marrying her ex…Kiah was just pissed. 

She was also sad, because the one joy that mattered to her was possibly thousands of years away. Tears threatened to form as she thought of her daughter, her beacon, her personal lighthouse whenever life became hectic. God, you gave her to me, you entrusted her to me…why did you allow this happen? Is this my punishment for what I did out of revenge? Why put my child through it, too? 

She didn’t realize someone had been knocking on the door until she heard someone clearing his/her throat. She whirled around, swiping at the rogue tears on her face and seeing it was her chambermaid. “Hey, Puwen.” 

“What is wrong, milady?” the elf asked, quickly placing the covered tray on the table and approaching her friend. “Why do you cry?” 

“Because it beats the hell out of screaming my head off,” Kiah remarked, and then patted Puwen’s shoulder. “Seriously, I was just thinking about my home, my child…do you have any children?” 

The straight, flaxen hair of the elf shook from side to side. “No, milady, I do not, not yet. But I would like to, someday.” 

Kiah nodded and walked around the elf back into the suite. “Hmm. You know, they’re the greatest source of joy, pure and innocent. When you hold them in your arms for the very first time, there’s this feeling of…honor, humility…because that child was entrusted to you. Everything they need to know about life, they will learn it from you. Children are the greatest gift, for any race.” Her voice threatened to break but she recovered to ask about the silver tray. “What’s this?” 

“Prince Legolas requested that be sent to you, whenever you are ready to eat. Your early departure concerned him, and he hopes that this meal will help you feel better,” Puwen informed, giving Kiah a curtsy before exiting the room. 

Hopes I feel better? Yeah, and I’ve got the words “dumb ass” stamped on my forehead. The telekinetic lifted the cover and was rewarded with the tantalizing smell of roast meat—assuming it came from an animal she could recognize. Surrounding the healthy-sized portion of food were various vegetables, fruits, breads, and sauces, along with a smaller silver plate, and matching pitcher and glass of water. There was simply a hell of a lot of food for one person to consume. It was apparent that Legolas had watched what she ate and drank closely. He thinks he’s real slick—getting me all fat for the slaughter. Or maybe he’s slipped some arsenic in this. Well the prince can just kiss my ass because I’m not going to…well…I’ll try just a little, and then that’s it…. 

A half hour later, Cadrieldur bowed to the maiden on the dance floor and bid her goodnight. It was another pleasant dinner like usual, but was better only when Kiah was around. He didn’t think his king or the wizard had said anything unpleasant to make her leave like that. He knew it wasn’t Legolas, because he seemed to ignore her. The captain wondered what it was as he strolled out to the courtyard, bathed in moonlight. He lifted his head and closed his eyes, something he’d done all his long life. 

He heard a sigh from above and quickly followed it, feeling his heart leap at seeing Kiah on the suite’s balcony. He could smell the food from the ground floor, and considered joining her; she shouldn’t have to eat alone. Cadrieldur seriously thought about it, but somehow sensed that she needed to be alone for a while. Besides, he would see her bright and early the next day, and for the five days following. Instead, he was content to just watch her, taking in the way the moon shown on her beautiful brown skin. He recalled how her gown made her light eyes seem greener than normal; he recalled how his body jolted when she smiled at him. Cadrieldur thought of other things about Kiah, so much that he didn’t detect Legolas until he was by his side. 

She has taken a liking to you, my friend,” softly shared the prince as he, too, watched the woman above them. 

Yes, it would appear so,” the captain answered, silently berating himself for allowing Legolas to get that close to him, undetected. 

Is that feeling reciprocated? 

Cadrieldur kept his eyes on Kiah, not liking the nature of the prince’s questions. “I cannot say, my prince. 

At this point Legolas moved in front of him, breaking his view of the balcony. “Cannot, or will not?” 

Both,” was Cadrieldur’s direct answer. “I have known you your entire life, and this is the first time you have ever asked me such a question about a female, elf or human. Why? When did my private thoughts and feelings suddenly become interesting to you? 

Are you admitting that you have thought about her?” Legolas pressed. By Valar, he didn’t know why he was feeling so, so…jealous? No, envious. He had apologized, had made steps towards a truce between himself and Kiah, yet she clearly preferred Cadrieldur. Not that it was wrong; the captain was good, just, and pleasant looking. It wasn’t wrong for her to open up to him…was it? 

His longtime friend regarded the prince closely, and pinpointed the envy in his eyes. Now this, I did not expect. Legolas Greenleaf, the fantasy of nearly every maiden in this kingdom, is envious of me…unbelievable. Cadrieldur chose not to answer the question, but bowed instead. “Good night, my prince.” He then walked in the direction of his room, leaving the prince to stare after him. A part of him expected that Legolas would follow him, offended that his question was not answered, but it was a small part. The rest of him refocused on Kiah. 

Thranduil’s youngest son watched his mentor and friend leave; he thought of commanding him to stop, but for what reason? He did ask questions that were none of his business. Is it any wonder why she dislikes you? he berated himself. Out of everyone here, you are the one behaving like an enchanted fool. He looked at Kiah once more, seeing that she was enjoying the food he’d sent to her room. Well that is a start, I suppose…she did not throw it out.


| Part IV |
| Index |