When The Trees Sang: Part V
by Nicole
-----


The morning came all too soon for the Garania and Legolas, as well as for the rest. Garania opened her eyes, one of the few Elves that slept with closed eyes, and stared up at the leaves above their bed. The wind rustled them gently, and she couldn't help but think of her father, and how near they must be getting to Rivendell at that moment. She shook the thought from her mind, and forced herself to leave her position beside Legolas to get up and ready herself for the impending day. When she rose, Legolas stirred beside her and looked at her, remembering the meeting that was to come in the next few hours. He rolled onto his back and spoke to her as she slipped into a gown that had been laid out for her on the bed.

"My love, what is to become of us? I know that you are aware of more than you speak of, so do not think that you can hide it from me. I will not ask you to tell me, because I know that you will not. You are far too stubborn and strong-willed for me to even make an attempt."

She turned and looked back at him, stretched out across the bed, his head resting against the bark of the tree. She sighed, and continued to get dressed.

"Legolas, you know me far too well. You are right, when you say that I know more. I do. However, what I know could do you more harm than it could good, and that is why I will not speak a word of it."

He nodded at this, accepting it, and then let his legs fall over the side of the bed.

"I will not turn my back on you, Garania, however many changes come about during these trying times. I will not desert you. I love you far too much for that."

She smiled at him and nodded.

"I know that Legolas. I have always known that. You have made it very clear to me for the past 1500 years of our marriage. I trust you more than any other. You know that. I will do the same for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Garania and Legolas had readied and made their way down to the rest of the Council, they were waiting for their arrival. Legolas took his place beside Garania, as she sat down next to Elrond. He gave her a gentle smile, and stood, turning to the Fellowship.

"Friends, now is the time when we shall have to make the decision that is never an easy one to make. Whether we shall go and seek this Witch King, or await his journey to us. Either way their is no escaping war. It is the inevitable."

The group exchanged glances, and then turned their eyes back to Elrond, as if awaiting more. But he turned back to Garania, urging her to speak. She caught his glances, and rose from her seat.

"I urge you to think deeply about this. However, I feel that I should offer you some sort of opinion in this matter, so I will do so. I believe that you should seek him out. It would be the best. Perhaps then he would be less prepared, and less expecting of an attack from the opposing army. You may stand a greater chance of coming out victorious from the battle." They looked at her, pondering her words, and then, as if coming to a silent, mutual conclusion, Gimli nodded towards his companions, and stood before Garania to speak.

"My lady, I believe your words are true. I believe I speak for the rest of my friends when I say that we want nothing more than to find this enemy and attack him unexpectadly, with all the force we can muster from our armies."

Garania looked at the hobbits, and then back towards Legolas and Elrond, who nodded his approval and voiced it.

"So it will be then. I will alert the guards to ready the armies. We will leave this afternoon."

With that he stepped down from the Council, and walked steathily back towards the castle to speak with his guards. Legolas stood and walked beside Garania, addressing his friends.

"My friends, while I fear that we may be entering something that we have no hope of winning, know this. That I will stand beside you through the last moment of fighting. I will not fail you."

Gimli stood.

"Nor will I you."

"Or I," said the halflings in unison.

Garania smiled, beaming inwardly at the show of comradary displayed by the friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Afternoon came quickly, and the Fellowship, and the armies that were to accompany them, stood at the gates, mounted, and preparing to leave. Legolas searched the sea of people for a sign of Garania. He thought surely that she would come to see him off. He was forced to draw his attention back to Elrond when he heard his voice yelling over the others. He was standing at the top of the palace steps, waiting for the crowd to quiet so that he could begin his speech.

"My friends! My friends, if you will quiet, please. I would like to wish you a safe journey and hope for nothing but the best in these trails to come. I would also like to offer you my admiration and respect, as this is indeed a treacherous journey in which upon you are about to embark. May peace be with you, and may goodness prevail."

With a wave of his hand, he signaled the gates of Rivendell to open, and the large army began to ride out, at full gale through them. Legolas and the rest of the Fellowship lagged behind a bit, waiting for the rest to pass. He continued to look around, still not being able to catch a glimpse of Garania. His heart tugged, but he held his head up, and prepared to signal his horse to move. Suddenly, he caught the glimpse of a rider out of the corner of his eye. The horse was drawn up beside his, and the person sitting atop it wore a hooded cloak, to shield their face. When he looked over at them, the person pulled the hood away from their face and revealed themselves to Legolas. He drew back with a bit of shock. Garania sat perched upon the solid white horse, looking at him with a determined face.

"I am going with you. I will not let you fight this battle alone."

He shook his head fiercely.

"No, I will not allow you to do this. You will be more of a hindrance than you will be an asset. Your fighting skills have never been very strong. You must stay here. You will be much safer in Rivendell."

She looked at him, smiling slightly.

"Have you forgotten of whom I am spawned? There are a great many things that you do not know about me Legolas. But fear not, they will be revealed to you soon enough."

With that, she beckoned her horse to gallop, and rode off ahead of him, hair billowing in the wind. Legolas watched her ride, thinking to himself how beautiful she was, and how being headstrong was not her most attractive feature. He shook his head, knowing that he had lost, and followed her out of the gates of Rivendell, toward the journey that awaited them.

| Part VI |
| Index |