When The Trees Sang: Part VII
by Nicole
-----


Two more days had passed, since that night, and Garania continued to fade away, drifting more and more from them. Aragorn watched Legolas often. His heart went out to him, as he could understand well how he must be feeling. He watched as he rode ahead of him, forcing himself to remain strong, proud, but inside, slowly crumbling as the pain of Garania slipping away from him took him over. He knew that in the end it would surely do him in. They had to stop the king. It was the only way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After another day or so of travelling, they finally caught up with the armies, who had now grouped together from all of the other kingdoms in Middle Earth, and were preparing for the battle that was looming ahead of them. Aragorn stopped to speak with one lone Elf, who stood aromoring himself with a helmet and sword.

"My friend, what is the word? When will the attack commence?"

The Elf looked up.

"Very soon, my friend. We ready ourselves now, as the king is approaching fast and we have not much time to prepare for the attack. He travels with a large band of orcs, and Uruk-Hai. I fear that we may not have much of a chance."

Aragorn shook his head at the Elf's faithlessness.

"Do not think this way. We need all the good thoughts that we can get going up against an enemy such as this. Fear not. We shall prevail through this, and Middle Earth shall not be taken over by evil again. We shall not let it happen. We cannot."

As he finished saying this, a loud yell came out, barely audible over the voices of the army. They strained to hear what was being said.

After a few moments, it finally became clearer.

"The enemy approaches from the East! Ready yourself, we will not lose this fight!"

Aragorn ran as fast as he could to where the rest of his friends stood. He gave a quick glance towards Garania, whose gaze was fixed upon the East. He could see the fear building in her eyes.

"My friends, it is time. As I go into this, I want you to know that you have my protection. Simply give the yell and I will come."

He looked again at Garania, her eyes still focused towards the East with a hard gaze. She looked at him when he put a gentle hand upon her arm.

"My lady, my friend, remember who you are, and fight with all of your power to resist the power of the evil. May strength be with you."

She looked at him weakly, her hand going to her sword.

Legolas grasped his bow tightly, and pulled her to him, bringing her into a deep kiss, before releasing her, and watching the mixture of love, and confusion in her eyes. He knew that she was slipping further away as they spoke, but he could not bring himself to face it. He didn't have much longer to dwell on the matter, however, as suddenly a large sea of yells erupted in the forest, and he looked around him and saw that the battle had commenced. He looked quickly back at Garania, and offered her some last words of love.

"Melamin, I am with you, no matter how this may end. Know that I love you, and I will love you still."

She stared at him, her eyes colder, but with a warmth of love still alive in them. She smiled briefly, before watching him run out into the battle. She stood, for how long she did not know, only slightly aware of the battle that played on around her. She was brought out of her daze by the sense of something approaching behind her. She turned quick enough to instinctively raise her sword and remove the head of the creature behind her. She looked down at it, uncaring, and walked slowly through the battle, her sword hanging limply in her hand by her side as she went. She watched as all around her, dead orcs littered the ground, along with many of the fallen armies. Something by a tree in the distance caught her eye. Legolas was on his knees beside the tree, his face looking towards the ground. Something inside her stirred as she saw the menacing Uruk-Hai standing before him, a cruel grin on his face, pointing a large arrow directly at his heart. She gripped her sword at her side, and walked over to where Legolas kneeled on the ground, preparing himself for what he knew was coming. She brought herself between him and the arrow, standing like a wall of stone between them, staring the Uruk-Hai directly in the eye.

Legolas watched with horror as she did this. He was just about to pull her out of the way of danger, when to his shock, he saw the Uruk-Hai cower under her gaze, and lower the arrow, bowing before her. His breath caught in his throat when he realized that they knew her as their master. A pain ran through him, knowing that she was nearly gone. He had to find the king, and destroy him, before Garania's situation became any worse. She turned to him, her eyes cold, unyielding. She placed a gentle hand to his cheek, assuring him that there was still some part of her left. She left him there, bringing her pace to a run, trying to defend the Aragorn in the attack that was now being brought upon him by several large orcs.

Legolas followed her, his bow ready, watching with awe as she battled the orcs, or the ones whom did not have the chance to see her face before she ran her sword through them. Her gown flew around her as she fought. She felt the presence yet again of something approaching behind her.

She raised her sword, prepared to strike, but instead, her breath caught in her throat when she saw what was standing behind her. She collapsed to her knees, racked with sobs as her father stood cowering over her. In that instant, the battle stopped, and all around watched with shock, too afraid to attempt to attack the king.

Aragorn watched with fear as the Elf removed his hood, staring down at his daughter. She looked up at him, tears streaming down her face. Legolas watched in pain, his heart wrentching as she bowed before him, knowing that there was nothing he could do. The king reached down and brought her up to his level, smiling wickedly.

His long brown hair flew out behind him in the wind, and his eyes shone a crystal blue that cast icy glares at anyone whom he fixed his gaze on. He was beautiful, much like his daughter, but possessed an air of evil that brought fear over all who caught a glimpse of him. He pulled Garania away, towards a large black horse that stood near the edge of the trees. Legolas started to run after them, but Aragorn grabbed him just in time to save him from running straight into suicide. He mounted the horse, pulling a dazed Garania up after him, and rode off, leaving the battle to continue behind them. The orcs dropped the battle and went after him, disappearing into the distance. Legolas stood, shaken and empty. He watched his beloved wife ride off with that king of evil and wished nothing more than to go with her at that very moment, no matter the danger. Aragorn had to support him as they walked from the forest, his strength drained. They made their way to a small clearing in the woods, where they made camp for the night. Legolas lay at the base of a tree, staring up at the sky, refusing to eat or even speak. The rest watched him with concern.

"I fear for him now, Gimli. He will most certainly die from grief if we do not find a way to bring Garania back, and remove her from the evil clutches of that bastard king."

Gimli nodded, casting a painful gaze towards his friend. In the past few months, he had become more like a brother to him than even his own kind, and to see him in this way pained him deeply. The hobbits huddled around Aragorn and Gimli, watching Legolas with sympathetic eyes.

"Is there nothing that can be done for him?" asked Frodo quietly.

Aragorn shook his head.

"No, I'm afraid the only thing that can help him now is Garania. Elves are immortal, but there are a few things that they are not immune to, and grief is one of them. It will surely mean his destruction if we cannot win this war."

The rest of them watched Legolas for a few more moments, and then turned back to the fire to make their own beds for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garania sat in a large dark room, lit only by a few tall candles placed sparcely around the room. Instead of finding the room unappealing, however, she found it welcoming, and felt at home in the large, dark castle that her father had brought her to. Before her were several orcs, and her father, who was gazing into a large silver bowl, watching something intently. She got up, and walked over to where he stood.

"What is it, Father? What do you see?"

He didn't look up, and continued to stare into the reflection in the bowl.

"Come, my precious, look upon this. They wait, wait there in the woods. We will not attack tommorrow. We will wait, perhaps another day, maybe more. Then they will not be expecting it, and they will be unprepared. They did more damage to us than I had suspected. It will not happen again."

Garania looked down into the bowl, which she discovered was much like the one Galadriel possessed in her wood. She saw Aragorn, Gimli, and the hobbits huddled around a fire talking. Something was missing, but she couldn't put her finger on it. Suddenly she remembered, and looked up at her father.

"Where is Legolas? He is not there."

He looked into her eyes, a cold look set there.

"He is there, over by that tree. You will forget him, do you understand me? You are done with him. He is against us, and shall be destroyed just like the rest. You will show no mercy to him, is that clear?"

She looked at him defiantly, but when she saw the hard gaze casted back at her, she didn't fight.

"Yes, Father. I understand. He is our enemy. He deserves to be crushed like the rest."

The king smiled, happy at the change that had come upon his daughter. He looked her over, suprised at her appearance. She looked much like her mother, with her shorter stature and hair, but his blood ran through her veins, and that was really the only thing that mattered. He remembered the time when he had wished for a son, to defend him in battle, and help him rule his kingdom, but after seeing her in the fight today, he was more happier than ever at the child that had been born to him. Not only was she beautiful, but she was intelligent, and strong. A deadly combination when armed with a weapon in battle. It was only days ago that he had watched her travelling with her husband and the rest of her companions, still possessing the light that had been bestowed upon her by her grandmother and mother, but now, it had faded away to nothing, and the time that he had always known would come about was upon him. She had joined his side.

| Part VIII |
| Index |