When The Trees Sang: Part X
by Nicole
-----


Aragorn stood at the edge of Lothlorien, watching in the distance as the old wizard made his way towards him. He smiled, greeting his old friend.

"Gandalf! So good it is to see you. Your assistance is much needed in these days of sorrow. I fear Legolas is nearly lost. I pray that you can help him."

Gandalf shook his head at the Ranger.

"I'm afraid there's nothing I can do. Only Garania can help in this matter."

A confused statement swept across Aragorn's face.

"Garania? But she is dead, how could she possibly help him now."

The wizard shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips.

"No, no Aragorn. Trust me in this matter. The Elf that lies there in that garden is not as you think she is. Only time will be able to tell if she proves my suspicions true, but I have faith that she will."

"But time is something that we are lacking in. Legolas is weak, his will to live lost. He shall be gone with Garania soon, if we do not find a way to help him."

Again, Gandalf shook his head.

"My boy, do not question the ways of a wizard. I know much of what I speak, or else I would not speak it. Leave Legolas. Do nothing for him. Simply let him be. However, do not try to keep him away from Garania's body. Allow him to grieve, leave him there as long as he likes. It is best. In time, you will see that I am right."

The old wizard walked towards the palace to speak with Galadriel and Celeborn, leaving Aragorn behind him confused and distraught. However much he may have questioned the wizards orders, he did as he was told, and allowed Legolas to return to the garden to stay with his wife. As he helped him there, the Elf leaning on him for support, he could hear the sound of the Elven voices carrying out over the trees. He recognized the words, and realized that they were singing songs of mourning for Garania. Her death had been a hard blow on the Elves of the kingdom, as she was their beloved princess Garania, granddaughter of Galadriel, and heir to her throne. She was much loved by the Elves, and when they had learned the news of her falling, many had come to the garden, weeping, to catch a brief glimpse of her as she lay. He helped Legolas to sit down beside her, and then turned to leave. A barely audible voice behind him made him stop.

"Aragorn."

He turned back around to face Legolas.

"Yes, my friend?"

He was clinging to the rock for support, his fingers gripping it tightly. He sat half-turned towards Aragorn, his eyes never meeting the Ranger's as he spoke.

"Thank you."

He stood a bit confused for a moment, and then it hit him what he was referring to. Images of the night that he had finally tricked him into eating flashed through his mind.

"You're welcome, Legolas."

"Had it not been for you, I may have been to weak to fight, and we may have lost the war. On the other hand, I might not have been there to slay my wife, either."

Aragorn stood silent at these words, knowing how badly Legolas felt, and how much he blamed himself.

"Do not think such thoughts. I will leave you now, with your wife. Stay as long as you like. We will no longer try to keep you from here."

Legolas looked a bit relieved at this, and turned back around to face Garania, his hands lingering to touch her skin.

Aragorn watched for several more moments, and then turned to head back to the palace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another week had passed, and Legolas grew weaker and weaker by the day. Gandalf forbid Aragorn to interfere, assuring him that it was for the best. Legolas remained in the garden for the remainder of the week, until one night, when Aragorn found him wandering near the woods, staring blankly ahead of him.

He was leaning against the railing of a small bridge that was built over the river that ran through Lorien. His head was hanging low, his hair falling about his face as he stared into the water. The sounds of the Elves could still be heard, singing their sad songs to Garania. Aragorn walked closer to him, cautiosly, coming up beside him. Legolas did not move at his approach, but spoke, still staring into the water.

"Do you think she still loves me?"

Aragorn drew back a bit, shocked at his words.



"When did she ever stop?"

Legolas looked up at him, seeming to accept this as an answer, and once again fell silent. He watched his reflection in the water, dancing about with the ripples that the breeze brought about in it. He felt that he could cry no more, his tears run dry from the days of endless sobbing. He had barely mustered up enough strength to walk out here, but he was glad that he had done so. The gentle breeze comforted him, although he knew that his grief would soon surpass him. Aragorn watched him still, debating what his next words would be.

"Legolas, come back to the palace and eat with the rest of us. It may do you some good. Gandalf is here, he arrived a few days ago. You were so in grief that I doubt you noticed him."

He shook his head.

"I was not aware that he had arrived. Why did he come?"

"To comfort you, and to see the princess."

He turned a bit on the bridge, looking Aragorn in the eye, but saying nothing. He turned his gaze back to the water, and continued to stare at his reflection. He grew weaker as the minutes went by, and he knew that he had little time left.

Aragorn sighed lightly, listening to the songs of the Elves. Their slow, sad melodies were beauty to his ears, and he closed his eyes to take them in.

Suddenly, the mood of the songs changed. He opened his eyes, a bit taken aback. Instead of the sad laments, a new, more joyful tune was being sung. Legolas seemed to notice this too, and raised his head in confusion. As he listened to the words, a strange statement suddenly crossed his face. Aragorn watched him, understanding himself. The Elf began to walk over the bridge, his pace quickening with every step, until he was sprinting through the forest towards the palace. Aragorn followed close behind him as well as he could, his pace unable to match the swift Elf's. They ran up the path to the palace and saw that Galadriel and Celeborn were no where to be found, nor were any of the rest. Legolas ran back to the path that led up to the garden in which Garania lay. As he approached the small cove, he saw a gently light emitting from through the trees. He ran to the archway opening and stood in shock. Garania's body was surrounded in a gentle glow, and around her stood Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, and the rest. He stepped slowly forward, his breathing labored. He walked up beside where she lay, and gazed down at her. To his great shock, her eyes suddenly fluttered open, revealing a sea of green beneath the long-lashed lids. She gave Legolas a blank, confused look, and gazed around at the people surrounding her. Galadriel beamed with joy, and walked over to stand beside her granddaughter, as she and Legolas helped her gently up from the bed.

"My darling, you have come back to us. By how and by what means I do not know, but that matters not. All that deserves any reason is that you're here with us now," said Galadriel, her eyes shining at her granddaughter.

Garania looked around, her face still blank.

"Grandmother....where am I? And why do you speak as though I have been away? What has become of me these past few days?"

She could not remember a moment past the time when....when she had been stabbed. She closed her eyes in pain for a moment, remembering the look of Legolas' face as he plunged the sword through her. Tears sprang to her eyes, but she held them back.

"You have been away from us, my love. We thought you to be dead, but I see now that you were not. And never more happy have I been to be wrong," said her grandmother, leaning down to kiss the top of her head.

Garania looked over at Legolas, unsure of what to say to him. She decided against anything kind, and muttered the first harsh thoughts that came to her mind.

"Why do you stand here? I wish not to see your face," she said with a quiet, cold edge to her voice.

Legolas felt as though a giant blow had been struck against him as the words flew from her mouth.

"I....I....My love, I have been with you since the day you arrived. I brought you here."

"You brought me the wound that nearly took my life. And do not call me your love. If you had truly loved me you would not have driven your sword through my middle." Legolas stood in shock until she uttered her next words. "Did I not say before that I did not wish to see your face? GO! Be gone with you! I have no desire to look upon you again!"

Legolas stepped back a few steps, hurt reflecting in his eyes. Never could he have dreamed that she would react to him like this. He turned, pushing past the others, and ran back down the path and towards the edge of the awaiting forest. Gandalf watched him go. There was much explaining to be done.



| Part XI |
| Index |