When The Trees Sang: Part XVIII
by Nicole
-----


Garania ran as fast as she could, trying desperately to dodge the arrows that came flying towards her. She caught a glimpse of Legolas battling an orc a few yards ahead of her, and ran towards him. As she neared him, another orc cut out across her path, an arrow aimed straight for her middle. Never flinching, she raised her sword, swiftly taking the beast's head from his shoulders. The arrow fell from the bow, and she ran closer towards Legolas. As he turned to aim an arrow at an orc, he saw her, and a hard statement came across his face. Although he had had his opinion changed regarding her battle skills, he still feared for her safety. He took an orc out running close behind her, and then ran to meet her. His eyes shone worry and fury.

"Did I not tell you to remain behind?! You are not safe here!"

She met his words with her own, never missing a breath.

"You arrogant bastard! You first have the gall to issue orders to your own wife, and then you show anger when I come to give you aid! Never before have I thought you to be so ignorant, or even more so, selfish! I will do as I please, and if I wish to fight by your side, damn it to the sea, I will do so!"

He stared at her, the anger fading from his eyes.

"Melamin...." But he did not have the chance to finish, for an orc appeared just inches from Garania. The creature grasped her arm, whipping her around to look into its hideous face. It was at that moment, as the creature peered at her with an evil grin spread across its black face, that she reached her breaking point. All of the frustration, anger, and rage that had been building up since their return to Mirkwood surfaced, bringing about a terror much worse than even the foul moods from her pregnancy. Legolas watched, wide-eyed, as she allowed herself to lose restraint of the powers that she had kept hidden for so long. With one wave of her free hand, she snapped the creature's neck in two, without even having to so much as lay a finger upon him. As the surrounding orcs saw this, they began to run in fear, but were unable to make it very far. Garania whispered under her breath in Elvish, inaudible to all but the orcs, bringing several large trees crashing down upon them. The remaining orcs were taken down with a simple sharp gaze from her, destroyed much in the same way as the first. When the last orc had fallen, she in the middle of them, her arms at her sides, gazing around at the orc bodies that littered the forest floor. Legolas stood away, afraid to come near. Gimli and the other archers watched in astonishment from afar, never having witnessed the queen's full power before, trying to keep their distance between themselves and the Elf. Garania turned to Legolas, her eyes once again soft, but this time, he noticed something new in them....pain. Her brow furrowed, and he barely reached her before she fell into his arms, unconscious.

-----

Legolas stood outside of their room, waiting nervously on the other side of the door for some word from the Elves attending to Garania inside. He had heard nothing since they had carried her in, and promptly pushed him outside. He was just about to go inside, despite their orders, when a sharp cry from inside stopped him cold. It was a baby's cry. He smiled widely when he head it, but then became nervous again at the thought of Garania. He wished nothing more than for them to tell him how she was doing. His wish was granted when the door opened, and a smiled Elf appeared before him.

"Your Highness, you may come in now. Let me be the first to congratulate you. You have a daughter."

He nearly shoved the Elf out of the way as he ran into the room, heading immediately towards their bed where Garania lay, holding a small bundle. He sat slowly down on the bed beside her, peering down into the mass of blankets in her arms. She smiled at him, and moved the top blanket out of the way, allowing a tiny face to appear underneath. He smiled happily down at the child in her arms. She had bright blue eyes, and a bit of a darker mass atop her head. Her arms flailed wildly as she cooed up at Legolas. Garania laughed, looking up at him.

"I do believe she likes you, Legolas. Here, would you like to hold her?" He nodded, taking the baby gently into his arms. He stuck a long, slender finger into the blankets, and was greeted by the feeling of a tiny hand clasping around it. He looked back up at Garania, a giddy smile written across his face.

"What shall we name her?"

Garania thought for a moment, and then looked up at him, smiling, as if suddenly coming up with the answer.

"Angeles." **Pronounced ahn-zhehl-ehz**

He nodded, looking back down at the baby.

"Yes....yes, I think it fits her nicely."

He lifted the baby closer to his face, speaking quietly to her.

"Yes, my love, you will be a wonderful princess, both beautiful and strong. It is no doubt that you will make a great queen someday, just like your mother."

The baby smiled happily at him, and then closed her eyes, promptly falling asleep in his arms.

-----

The news spread quickly that a daughter had been born to the royal family. Well-wishers from all over the kingdom arrived at the palace to bring gifts for the tiny baby. Legolas and Garania remained in their rooms for the rest of the night, simply enjoying their daughters presence. From all around, the sounds of Elven voices could be heard, singing a song of rejoice for the birth of the princess.

They listened long into the night, and then fell asleep, together, bathed in the moonlight from the silver moon shining above.

"Angels, answer me,
are you near if rain should fall?
Am I to believe
you will rise to calm the storm?
For so great a treasure words will never do.
Surely, if this is,
promises are mine to give you.
mine to give...
Here, all too soon the day!
Wish the moon to fall and alter tomorrow.
I should know
heaven has her way
- each one given memories to own.
Angeles, all could be
should you move both earth and sea
Angeles, I could feel
all those dark clouds disappearing...
Even, as I breathe
comes an angel to their keep.
Surely, if this is
promises are mine to give you.
mine to give..."

--Enya "Angeles"



| Part XIX |
| Index |