When The Trees Sang: Part XX
by Nicole
-----


Two more years passed, with no word from Garania. He had been told that she had first gone to Lothlorien, to bid her grandmother good- bye on her journey across the sea, and then rode on to Rivendell, were she was greeted with open arms by Elrond, and the rest of the kingdom.

He spent most of his time in solitude, away from the royal courts, and the advisors. Angeles had been married, and now lived happily with her husband in a kingdom near Lothlorien, possessing too much of her mother's lineage to remain in Mirkwood. Raladir took over Legolas' abandonded role as king more and more everyday, and was becoming a noble ruler.

Finally, he made the decision to give up the role as king altogether, allowing his son full access to the throne that he had sat upon for so long. He retired to his study most days, leaving himself alone with his thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nearly one hundred more years had since gone, and Legolas was left feeling even more alone than he had the first day she left. Since giving up his title as king, he felt as if his whole world was crumbling beneath him at his feet. Word had been sent many years ago, that Aragorn had passed, followed soon behind by Arwen. He felt a strong sadness at the loss of the beautiful Elf that he had grown so close to in their younger days, as well as for his friend, and companion, that had defended him so many times during the days of the ring, and the Witch King. The only friend that still remained, was Gimli, who was now growing old, as he was mortal, and did not possess the qualities that the Elves did. Angeles had gone as well, falling of grief for her husband who had fallen in battle several decades ago. He longed for Garania more and more everyday, as his grief grew stronger. Finally, the day came when he could take it no longer. He ran down the halls of the palace, gathering his things for his journey. Raladir followed behind him, trying to make sense of his actions.

"Father, what are you doing? Why are you packing your things? Are you planning a trip?"

Legolas did not stop, but spoke as he ran.

"Yes, indeed I am, my son. I am going to your mother, in Rivendell. I can be without her no longer."

Raladir smiled, happiness filling him. So long had he wished for his father to return to his mother, and to resolve his unhappiness. He followed him down the hallway.

"But Father, when will you leave? Should you not take archers with you, in case there are still roaming orcs on the way?"

Legolas shook his head quickly, throwing the last of his possessions into a large pack, which he strapped to the back of his horse.

"No, I will go alone." He turned around to face his son. "Raladir, my son, you have become a fine king. I will miss you much." He wrapped his arms around the Elf before him, and then quickly mounted his horse, and bid good-bye to those that had heard the commotion and come to see him off. He then beckoned his horse on, leaving the gates of Mirkwood far behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After travelling for nearly a week, the large, glittering gates of Rivendell finally came into view. He sucked in his breath shortly as he crossed through them, catching a glimpse of Elrond standing at the palace steps, greeting him in much the same way that he had upon his return with the Fellowship so many years ago. The kingdom seemed much emptier, but he couldn't place exactly what it was. A smile grew across Elrond's face as he approached.

"Legolas. It is good to see your face again, after so long."

Legolas returned the smile, his eyes questioning. Elrond chuckled softly.

"Do not fear, she is still here, as well as she was upon the day of her arrival. I have sensed her longing for you for many years now, and I fear if you had not arrived much sooner, she would have faded from grief. She grows tired, Legolas. Perhaps you can revive her long lost spirit."

Legolas nodded, grasping Elrond's hand. The older Elf stepped aside to allow him passage into the palace, which stood just as beautiful as it had nearly two hundred years ago. He walked slowly up the steps, placing one foot before the other, his heart beating rapidly. He made his way into the large hall, followed a short distance behind by Elrond, who was smiling to himself at the Elf walking nervously ahead of him. Memories of the first meeting between the two flashed through his mind, and his eyes shined, happy to have the two reunited again. Just as Legolas began to walk up the tall, winding stairs leading to the upper part of the castle, something made him stop. He backed slowly away from the staircase, looking high above him at the stairs winding over his head. A figure was moving down them, slowly, making every movement with precise grace and skill. The figure reached the bottom of the stairs, walking slowly towards him. She gazed into his eyes, her own shining, as her voice echoed throughout his soul.

"Legolas, my love, it has been far too long since last my eyes had the privilege of holding you in their vision. I have missed you much, melamin. Though I may not allow it to appear on the outside, do not doubt for a moment the love that I have for you, and the greatness of which my pain was for longing for you."

He smiled, remembering the last time she had spoken these same words to him, so long ago. His lips somehow managed to find hers in their blindness, and they stood embraced for a long moment, incapable of leaving the other's arms. Elrond looked on, smiling to himself, before retreating quietly from the room, to allow the lovers to rejoice in the other's embrace in private.

Legolas pulled away from Garania, looking deep into her eyes, silently questioning her. She smiled at him, and gave him the answer to his unspoken questions.

"My love, you were the first, and you will be the last."

He smiled at her words, and pulled her back into their strong embrace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fifty more years passed by, bringing Elrond's departure from Rivendell, over the Great Sea, and Gimli's arrival. The Dwarf had grown old, barely even able to ride a horse on his own through his fraility. Few by few, the Elves were leaving, sailing to the West, leaving Middle Earth far behind. Finally, one day, Garania approached Legolas. She was now very near 6,000 years old, and he saw it with every glance into her eyes.

"Legolas, it is time. The Elves have nearly all left these parts. We are some of the few remaining, Rivendell has been almost comepletly deserted. Elrond's spoke his words true. The time of the Elves has passed. It is time for us to journey over the Great Sea, to take our place with the rest of our kind in the West."

He nodded, silently agreeing.

They boarded the last boat to ever pass into the West, with many of the remaining Elves of Middle Earth, only a few weeks later. Only a few remained, Raladir, and Elrond's remaining sons, along with Celeborn, who had grown to love Middle Earth too much to leave. Gimli had passed just a few days before their journey, leaving Legolas saddened.

They stood before the large white ship, looking back upon the World that they had come to know for so many thousands of years. The rest of the Elves boarded the boat ahead of them, leaving them to bid a final farewell to Middle Earth, before leaving to take their place in the land of the Undying Lands, where the rest of of the immortals dwelt. Giving Legolas a reassuring smile, Garania took his hand, and they walked onto the boat, forever leaving Middle Earth, and passing over the sea, fading away into legends, and becoming but a myth to all who followed.

****

The book slowly closed, leaving four wide-eyed children looking up in astonishment at their grandfather.

"But Grandpa, what happened to them after that?"

"I don't know. Nothing has been heard of them since the day they went over the sea into the West."

"But what about their son, it said he stayed behind. What happened to him?"

"Well, it doesn't rightly say. I suppose he stuck around in Middle Earth for awhile."

"Really? Do you think he might still be around today?"

The old man smiled, his eyes shining between two pointed ears.

"Oh, well, he just might be....He just might be."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now the journeys long since passed
The years have since grown old
And for those that played the battles well
Their story's now been told


| Index |