A Secret Untold: Part VIII by: Thalisirwen
-----

I did not go to breakfast, I was not hungry. Nor did I want to see Legolas, despite my concern for him after I heard his song. Instead, I went into the gardens once again, hoping to seek solace amongst the trees. It wasn't to be. As I wandered along a path, I saw a familiar face coming towards me. A pained look flashed in his eyes as he noticed me. Dark shadows under his eyes blemished his usually flawless complexion. He looked haggard, and had a worried statement upon his fair face. A forced smile appeared on his face as he reached me.

"Good morning friend. Are you not going to breakfast?" he asked.

I replied with a shake of my head. "Not hungry."

"You should at least eat something, Aragorn."

"So should you."

"I'm not hungry," he answered, looking to the ground. I put my hand to his arm, feeling the muscles through the material of his clothing.

"What worries you Legolas?" I had to ask him, for I was truly concerned about his emotional health. He looked into my eyes, his were mournful, full of pain, torment and confusion, yet he shook his head and looked away, pulling his arm from my grasp. He stood dejectedly before me as if he didn't know what to do.

"It is Valrodiel?" I probed. Being with him and not being able to tell him how I felt hurt, but it hurt even more to see him sad. He shook his head uncertainly. "I..well..not really," he replied, still staring at the ground.

"I don't think I love her anymore." He blurted out suddenly, before falling quiet again. A single tear trickled down his cheek. This was not all that was troubling him, I could tell. He looked so upset, so alone. Steeping towards him, I put my arms around him and embraced him as more tears fell from his beautiful eyes, feeling his arms wrap tightly around me as he sobbed into my neck.

"It hurts, it hurts so much," he spoke through his tears.

"It'll be alright," I told him, tears springing up in my own eyes. I fought them back, if only for him.

He pulled away from me, a lost statement in his eyes. He wiped the tears away with his hands, and took a deep breath.

"Thank you, Aragorn," he said, as another forced smile appeared on his face. "But what is it that troubles you also? Will you not even tell a close friend?"

I shook my head and he looked a little hurt. "Sorry, I do not wish to talk about it."

He looked at me sadly, before turning to leave. "Legolas.." I called after him.

He turned and looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

"Uhm..if you ever need to talk.." he nodded, understanding, and continued to make his way back to the house, not looking back.

What bothered Legolas so? I believed him when he said he had stopped loving Valrodiel, for he had not spoken at length about her for some time. But what else was bothering him? Poor Legolas, an elf such as he should not know such troubles as he must be hiding.

I tried to ignore the wonderful feeling that ran through my body as I embraced him, the static that danced across my skin, or the fluttering feeling in my stomach.

If only I knew what was wrong, I would do everything in my power to make the problems go away. Instead I am helpless, having to stand by and watch him look so sad, so world-weary.

Sighing to myself, I continued on my walk through the gardens before sitting on a bench in a secluded place to think in peace.


| Part IX |
| Back |