A Secret Untold: Part XIX by: Thalisirwen
-----

The tunnel seemed to light a little as I walked further into the darkness, but only enough to allow me to see. Reaching a fork in the tunnel, I paused. Which way to go?

I remembered what Elrond had told me, "Follow your instinct."

Closing my eyes to the darkness I took a long breath and focused my thoughts on Legolas. Feeling a pull from the tunnel to the left, I opened my eyes and continued on my journey. It was not long before I reached a cave. I peered in cautiously. My heart skipping a beat, I saw Legolas lying face down on the ground. An evil looking creature was bent over him, it's the sharp nails of its long, knobbled fingers digging into his arm. Giving an angry yell, I stepped into the cave and tried to push the creature off him. My hands went straight through it. Surprised at my appearance, it stepped away, looking at me cunningly.

"You can't do anything here, human," it snarled.

"Is that so?" I asked, and closed my eyes. I could feel the strong presence of the Sangwafaire in front of me, and the weaker, fading presence of Legolas behind me. Concentrating, I imagined a sword in my hand, the feel of it, the weight of it. As I slowly opened my eyes I held on to the look, feel, and weight of the sword.

The Sangwafaire looked a little taken aback as it stared at the sword I held in my hand. There was no metal blade, instead a glowing green flame rose from the hilt, shaping itself like a blade. Raising the sword, I slashed at the creature, and it dodged, moving quickly to the other side of the cave. Angrily, I sent forth a volley of blows, stabbing and slashing and swiping with the blade of flame with all my might, but each time all I found was thin air.

The creature had retreated, and now stood across the cave from me.

I had to kill it, if not it would kill me. And Legolas.

I glanced behind me at the unconscious shape of the prince, and reminded myself of the line I spoke earlier.

"We are one," I said softly, then repeated, louder. "We are one." The creature was scuttling towards me, and I closed my eyes, focusing on its presence, and as I felt it near, I slashed with my flaming sword at where I felt the Sangwafaire would be, shouting the line aloud, "We. Are. One!" There was a terrible screech; I opened my eyes to see the creature lying on the ground, blackened blood pouring from its neck. Then its body turned into a green mist and was gone.

The Sangwafaire defeated, I turned to Legolas, and knelt beside him. Blood stained the arm of his tunic where the creature had been clutching at him. "Legolas," I spoke softly and shook him, but there was no response. I could feel his presence growing weaker. A mist now began to slowly rise from his body...it was his soul.

"No." I ordered, frowning at the mist.
"My body is your body
My mind is your mind
My heart is your heart
My blood is you blood
My soul is your soul."

I repeated the first few lines that Elrond had taught me, and the mist stopped rising, and just hung in the air as if it had been frozen.

My heart thudding in my chest, I rolled Legolas over. His face was peaceful. Closing my eyes to the mist I spoke aloud, mixing the words Elrond taught me with words of my own.

"Legolas, my heart is your heart, it always will be, our souls are one. We are one. I give of my strength, my blood, and my mind," I placed a hand on his chest, over his heart. I could feel it beating slowly, weakly. "My heart is your heart." I said with determination, and felt my own slacken a little as Legolas's sped up.

"We are one. We are one. We are one." I opened my eyes and saw the mist get sucked back into Legolas's body. He stirred, opened his eyes, and looked at me blearily.

"Aragorn?" he whispered hoarsely.

I felt a wave of relief run through me.

"Where are we?" Legolas asked.

"I'll explain later. We have to get out of here."

I helped him up, and noticed him wince in pain as he put pressure on his arm. He took a deep breath, and leaning on my arm, wobbled towards the tunnel.

We walked along the tunnel in silence. Legolas still seemed a little disorientated, and I was still a little shocked at what had just gone one. I had almost lost him, almost. But not quite. He still doesn't know how I feel about him, but at least he will live. I should tell him soon, I knew that. But not until after we are back.

Reaching the end of the tunnels, we stepped out into sunlight.

"What now?" asked Legolas.

Hurriedly I told him of Elrond's instructions. Clasping each others hand, I felt the familiar tingle spread through my body that his touch always gave me, and we both closed our eyes.

"As one we were
And now depart
Our souls are two
As are our hearts.
One we were
One we were
One we wer-"
Again I felt my heart thudding in my chest, the tingle running through me turning to a strong vibration. My feet left the ground momentarily as I kept firm grasp of Legolas's hand, feeling his tighten around mine as my head began to spin.

Then we fell down with a thud.


| Part XX |
| Back |