The Fellowship: Part XVII
by Kris
-----

Legolas stared at the large, black panther, who stared right back at him. He rubbed the small bump on his forehead that had formed when the tree branch had hit him, the night before. The sun was just beginning to rise over the horizon. Soon, the camp would come alive, as the other members of the group awoke and went about their morning business.

Legolas looked over, as he heard someone approaching the tree that he leaned back against. It was Kristiel. He saw her wince, when she looked at his face.

"I really am sorry," she told him quietly, when she reached him. "I can heal it, if you want."

"That is all right," Legolas said, shaking his head. "It will be gone by tonight."

"Are you sure?" Kristiel asked. "It won't take but a moment."

Legolas looked away, his gaze falling on the panther. Amaurëa, Kristiel called it, for the panther had been born at dawn. Amaurëa returned his gaze with one that seemed to ask him whether or not he trusted Kristiel enough to heal him. It was not that he did not. He did. It was just that healing usually weakened the healer, the degree of weakness depending on the severity of the injury being healed.

"It is just a small bump," Kristiel said, as though she had read his mind.

Legolas looked back at her, this time turning his body so that he faced her.

"Are you certain?" he asked.

"I wouldn't have offered, if I wasn't," Kristiel said, with a faint smile. "I'll be all right. Now, hold still."

She raised her right hand to Legolas' face, cupping it over the bump. He watched her eyes take on a far-away look, as though she were seeing something that was visible only to her.

Legolas felt a slight feeling of warmth where the bump was. There was a brief moment of heat, before a feeling of coolness touched him. Kristiel lowered her hand, the far-away look in her eyes fading away.

Legolas knew that the bump was gone, healed, without having to touch his forehead. He grabbed Kristiel's hand, before she could finish lowering it. He raised it to his mouth and brushed a kiss across the top of it. He smiled at Kristiel, when he saw her blush at the gesture.

"Diola lle (Thank you)," he told her.

"Lle creoso (You're welcome)," Kristiel replied, returning his smile.

Legolas heard the faint sounds of the camp waking up, and reluctantly released Kristiel's hand. They shared another smile, before she walked away, towards the camp, Amaurëa following behind. Legolas wondered how the other members of the group would take the news of their companion. Whether they agreed to the panther joining the quest or not, it did not matter. Amaurëa had already chosen to come with, and nothing anyone could say or do would stop her.

Legolas sighed, as his thoughts turned to the love of his life. He missed her dearly, and, if he had not volunteered for this quest, he would have been on his way to visit her at Lothlórien, where she lived. He wondered if he would ever see her again.

| Part XVIII |
| Index |