Fallen Leafs, Part VII
by Areli

-----

Legolas was growing more and more nervous with each passing moment that Saruman simply sat and watched his every move.  

Voices began to whisper at him, telling him to put the ring on and taste it's power. Legolas could barely restrain himself. The temptation was simply becoming too great with each second that flied away.  

At last Legolas turned towards Saruman angrily.  

"Why did you not simply take the ring from me?" he demanded.  

Saruman laughed softly. His voice rang in the air, tainting it. 

"Legolas, that is a very odd question you ask me."  

"Yet one you can answer." Legolas retorted. His eyes searched the room in search of something he could use against Saruman. He found nothing.  

The whispers grew louder. They no longer told him to use the ring, they commanded him.  

"The silent whispers. You can hear them can't you?" Saruman said closing his eyes. "I can hear them as well. They call to you Legolas. Why do you not answer?"  

Legolas was uncertain of what to do. He could not simply toss the ring away for they would get it. But perhaps that had not been their intention in the first place since they hadn't simply killed him and taken it. 

"I don't understand." Legolas said, frowning. "Why am I alive?"  

Saruman's eyes opened as he grabbed his staff in an instant. 

"You would prefer to die?" He asked incredulously? 

He suddenly jabbed his staff at Legolas, smacking him against a wall before he could think.  

His head was spinning as he stood up shakily.  

"We have use for you still..." he heard Saruman say.  

 

"We're going the wrong way!" Gimli shouted angrily. They had not stopped for the past six hours and despite how strong dwarves were, the tiredness and pain that Gimli had hidden was become more and more visable. Aragorn was beyond pain. Still, he also hid his pain. Legolas would destroy them all if he could not stop him. All of his thoughts were of Legolas and the cursed ring. 

Aragorn suddenly stopped in his tracks. There was something ahead of them. He could hear high shrieks in the air. 

"Get down!" he yelled. Gimli muttered a tad but didn't ask questions.  

That was when the sound of horses galloping filled the air and rattled the ground.  

"The wraiths?" Gimli hissed. "But why are they still after us?"  

"Probably to destroy us." Aragorn answered. "We are in their way."  

"Let them come and taste my axe!" Gimli shouted.  

All nine Nazguls sped past them, completely ignoring them.  

"Where are they headed?" Gimli wondered when they had passed.  

"I am uncertain. We have no time to question their moves. Legolas will not be able to survive much longer if they have already started to torture him." 

"If they haven't killed him already." Gimli mumbled.  

They got to their feet and continued their run. Isengard's lonely tower in plain view.  

 

Legolas lied on the ground. He could not ignore the voices that fiercly ordered him to use the ring. 

"Try the ring on...it suits you..." Saruman said. "Join with Sauron. Nothing can exceed his powers..."  

Perhaps he is right... Legolas thought over the voices that wrapped themselves around him.  

Perhaps there was no hope.

| Next |
|
Index |