Immortal Heart: Part I
by Alexandra
-----

Saderian, an elf of Mirkwood, crouched low over the neck of her horse, Neara. She had been riding through the forest when a band of orcs had attacked her. She had turned and fled, in order to warn those at the palace when she made the unfortunate discovery that the leader was riding a horse. Orcs were rarely seen on horses; so the sight of one was an unpleasant shock. Saderian knew that she would never outrun him.

“Neara,” whispered Saderian into her horse’s ear. “Rim yassen ilya asca Thranduil! Uumfeith ten’amin autoht I’n’at!” Saderian nimbly leapt from the horse and grabbed onto a branch above her head. Neara ran faster without the extra wait and sped off through the trees.

It was only moments until the leader of the orcs came into view. Bracing herself, Saderian swung down from the tree and kicked the orc out of the saddle. He let loose with a roar of fury, his hideous face twisted with rage. Saderian turned and began to loose arrows into the crowd. An orc would fall with every shot, but it was too little.

One of the orcs had a bow and tried to hit Saderian, in the hopes of knocking her from the horse. He only succeeded in giving her a deep cut across her forehead before she struck him down. Saderian wiped her hand across her face, trying to keep the blood out of her eyes. The trees receded from around them and she could see the house of Thranduil only a short distance away.

In a last desperate attempt, the orcs threw their blades into the steed under her, throwing Saderian from the saddle. She managed to land on her feet, in the catlike manner that all elves use. Without a second thought, Saderian sprinted for the doors. She could hear the orcs gaining on her, but she didn’t slow down or turn to fight; all she had left were her knives.

When Neara had shown up, rider-less, the elves became suspicious. Archers had been posted, and were now trying to cover Saderian’s retreat. With a last bit of speed, she shot through the doors and they slammed shut behind her, much to the dread of the orcs. Saderian gasped for breath and ran a hand through her golden hair, realizing only too late that her hand still had blood on it.

One of the archers jumped down from the wall when his quiver was empty. “Mani marte?” he demanded, his blue eyes quizzical.

“I was attacked by orcs,” snapped Saderian, slightly agitated that she had to answer such a stupid question. “Where is King Thranduil? I must speak with him immediately.”

The elf nodded. “I will take you to him.” He turned and led her through the palace until they reached a great hall with a chair placed at the end where King Thranduil sat.

“Legolas, my son!” cried Thranduil. “What has happened?”

Saderian was dismayed to realize that she had snapped at the Prince of Mirkwood. She had little time to dwell on the fact though as Legolas spoke. “There has been an attack from the orcs. This one here managed to hold them off as we prepared for the attack.”

“We owe you many thanks,” Thranduil said. “What is your name?”

“I am Saderian, from the southern reaches of Mirkwood.”

“The southern reaches?” asked Thranduil, slightly surprised. “You have come a ways in a short time. You must be weary. I ask that you rest until tonight’s meal, and that you look to your injury.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” answered Saderian. “Though I must ask you if I may see my horse, Neara.”

Thranduil smiled. “A noble horse she is. She is being well looked after. You may see her after you take rest and care.”

Saderian nodded and bowed. Legolas motioned for her to follow him. Saderian looked around herself as she followed the prince to a different room. “You are quite the heroic maiden,” he commented as she sat down on a chair.

Saderian shrugged. “I did what anyone else would have done in my place. I must apologize for my earlier behavior. I did not mean to come across so rude.”

Legolas waved the apology away. He crouched down in front of her and began to wipe the blood away from her face. “You had good reason to be short with me. I shouldn’t have been thoughtless when I spoke. How did you get this wound?”

“One of the orcs’ arrows passed a little too close to me,” explained Saderian. “I was shooting at them as I rode.”

Legolas nodded and handed her a cup. “Drink this and then take some rest.”

Saderian nodded and took the cup. “Thank you for all that you have done.”

Legolas smiled. “It is I who should be thanking you. Someone will be sent to lead you to tonight’s meal. I will see you there.” He slipped out of the room and quietly closed the door behind him.

Saderian sighed and drank the liquid in the cup before lying down on the bed in the room. She then began to rest in the way of the elves, setting her mind among waking dreams. When she finally rose from the bed, there was a white gown draped over one of the chairs. Saderian smiled and went to clean up; realizing with disgust that she still had blood in her hair.

When she was finally satisfied with her appearance, she put on the gown and opened her door. One of the elves stood there and bowed as she appeared. “I am Alden,” he said. “I will lead you to the hall.”

Saderian followed him until she came to a hall that looked much the same as the one that she had seen earlier, only with a table laden with food in the middle. She sat down, only to find herself across from Legolas. Saderian began to notice that he really had a presence about him. How she hadn’t noticed it at first was understandable, but confusing none the less.

Saderian was asked several times to recount her tale, though she insisted that there wasn’t much to tell. She was aware of the fact that Legolas gave her his full attention every time that she spoke which was something that she found to be a little unnerving. When the meal drew to a close, Saderian excused herself, thanking the King again for all of his generosity.

Slipping out one of the doors, Saderian made her way to the stable. Neara trotted up to her when she came into sight and Saderian patted the horse’s nose. “Lle ume quel Neara,” she said. “Valinamin elelle varna.” < I am glad to see you safe>

The white horse snorted, as if to say that she had done nothing important. Neara pushed her nose against Saderian’s forehead and the elf winced. “Ilikotane sai, ilya forya? Lle naquel, nan’amin uumecael llie marth.”

“Your horse is one of admiration,” said Legolas behind her, causing Saderian to jump. “I am sorry, I did not mean to startle you.”

“It’s all right,” answered Saderian. “As for Neara, do not flatter her anymore or I fear she will not let me ride her anymore.” Neara picked up her head and turned to trot away, making Saderian laugh. “Looks like I might be here a while.”

Legolas stirred silently at the remark. He had a feeling that he would not mind her presence. “Would you like to take a walk with me?”

Saderian smiled and nodded. “Don’t you think we should take our bows or some other weapon?” she asked.

“We are close to the palace, no evil will befall us now,” explained Legolas.

“That’s what I thought when I was riding. Of course, then I had a run in with a few orcs.” Legolas smiled. He swung his quiver onto his back and handed Saderian an extra bow since hers was in her room. Legolas led them through the trees, to a rock that overlooked one of the lakes of Mirkwood.

“Sina navanima,” commented Saderian as she peered into the water. She turned to ask Legolas something, but found that he wasn’t listening. Saderian began to hear it too, a deep rumbling of voices, voices that weren’t too far off. Without another word, the two elves leapt into one of the trees; arrows soon put to the string.

It was an instant later that several orcs came into view, most of them severely wounded. Saderian glanced at Legolas; she could see his fingers tightening on the bow. “It was only by chance that we survived,” growled one of the orcs. “If it hadn’t been for that blasted she-elf it might have worked.”

“You were the one that she knocked from the horse,” commented one of the others, holding his arm to his chest. “If you had been paying attention, maybe she wouldn’t have gotten the better of you.”

The leader snarled. “I do not need you to tell me what to do! The she-elf will die if I ever see her again!”

Not bothering to look at Legolas, Saderian let loose with her arrow, killing the leader and swinging out of the tree. “Well, it appears to me that I am still alive!” Between her and Legolas, they struck down the remaining orcs. Saderian lowered her bow too soon; comprehending too late that the orc leader had not in fact been killed as she had thought.

He roared and swung at her with a crude blade. Saderian jumped over the blade as Legolas shot him. Saderian though, lost her balance and fell over the side into the lake with a splash.

“Saderian!” shouted Legolas as he jumped out of the tree and leaned over the side of the rock. Seconds later her head came above the surface of the water and she coughed, struggling for air.

“I am all right,” she said after a second. “Though I am rather wet.”

Legolas laughed when he saw her smiling, for then he knew that she wasn’t hurt. Saderian swam to the side and climbed out, the water dripping from the ends of her hair. Legolas handed her his cloak and said, “I think I shall always listen to you when you suggest something.”

Saderian smiled as she pulled the cloak around her. “Being right isn’t always something I am proud of.” Legolas chuckled and led the way back to the palace.

It seemed that walking together after the evening meal became a ritual of both Legolas and Saderian. Though they always made sure they were armed before they left, they had not needed the bows since the last orcs came by. Each time they tended to spend a bit longer outside, not wanting to part company for the night.

It had been several weeks since Saderian had come to the palace. Legolas was beginning to treasure every moment that he spent with her. Saderian loved spending time with Legolas as well, though she dreaded the day that she would have to leave. “Sade,” began Legolas, using the name he called her. “Sade, I don’t want you to leave.”

Saderian smiled, her emerald eyes shining in the moonlight. “I don’t want to leave either. I’m actually starting to think that an orc attack was a good thing.”

Legolas smiled. “Than you should stay here for as long as you wish.”

Saderian turned to him. “I would not fight you on such a thing.” Legolas than brushed his lips against hers, sealing the agreement.



| Part II |
| Index |