Immortal Heart: Part II
by Alexandra
-----


“Sade!” shouted Legolas as he came through the trees to find Saderian lying on the rock overlooking the lake. “Sade, you do know that you have a meeting with my father soon.”

Saderian slightly nodded, though she didn’t open her eyes. “I know. Things are just so peaceful, I wish to stay here as long as I may.”

Legolas sat down next to her, looking into her face. He had been debating with himself for some time now, over one simple matter. It had been several years since Saderian had come into his life and they had grown to love each other in that time, an instant in the life of an elf.

There was a shadow in his mind though, a feeling that if he did not act on his feelings now, he never would have the chance again.

“Sade, I’ve been wanting to ask you something.” Saderian briefly opened one eye, as if giving him permission to continue. Leaning down, he whispered against her lips, “Would you be my wife?”

Saderian’s eyes flew open as she gave a start of surprise. “Mani ume lle quena?” she asked in disbelief.

Legolas smiled. “I have never met anyone such as you Saderian. You are my love and I would ask you to be by my side forever.”

Saderian could hardly keep herself from crying for joy. She just grinned and kissed Legolas. They stood up and walked back towards the palace, talking about how they would let his father know. When they reached the entrance to the great hall where Thranduil was waiting, Legolas said they would tell him together, after she had met with him. Saderian nodded and then left Legolas to talk with Thranduil. “Saderian,” greeted the king. “I have a favor to ask of you.”

“You have only to tell me what it is you wish and I shall do it,” replied Saderian, bowing her head.

“There have been great rumors about.” Thranduil began. “Rumors of dark things to come. I feel weary at times, weary of the coming age. I grow more suspicious by the day, even more suspicious of our allies. Saderian, you are one of the elves that I hold in high regard. With this in mind I am asking you to be wary, for I wish you to spy on Isengard.”

Saderian’s eyes widened. Spy on Isengard? That was like asking one to challenge Mordor single-handedly. “I do not trust Saruman,” continued Thranduil, beginning to pace around the room. “He has claimed to be our ally, though I fear treachery in his words. That is why you shall be leaving at nightfall. Stay hidden and then bring back what information of importance you can. And tell no one of your path, not even Legolas.”

Saderian nodded and bowed once again. How Thranduil seemed to know about her and Legolas, Saderian wasn’t sure. Though, she no longer knew what she was supposed to do. Spy on Isengard and Saruman. Never had she undertaken a task such as this.

Saderian found Legolas waiting in her room when she came back, much to her dismay. “Mani naa ta?” he asked as she hardly smiled at him. Saderian didn’t answer; she just started to pack up her things.

“Sade, mani naa lee umien?”

Saderian looked up into his confused face. “I am to go on a journey, for only a short while I hope. I wish I could tell you where I was going Legolas, I do. But your father asked that I don’t. I do not know when I will be back.”

Legolas watched her as she moved about the room. Saderian was leaving for some unknown reason. He started to remember the warning that he held in his mind this afternoon. “Tell me where it is that you go and I will go with you.”

Saderian shook her head. “I cannot do so.” Saderian than fastened her quiver of arrows to her back as well as her knives. She stopped in front of a puzzled Legolas. “I cannot tell you more than I will be gone for a while. You are my mate Legolas, and I would not willingly leave you for long.”

He smiled at those words. “I do not know where you go, but all I ask is that you come back to me. Cormamin niuve tenna’ ta elea lle au’.” Saderian stepped into his embrace, wishing all the more that Thranduil had chosen someone else. She then stepped back and wiped a tear from her eye before grabbing her bow and leaving the room.

Legolas could not bear to follow her. He had hoped to spend so much more time with Saderian, but some things just aren’t to be. Legolas walked to the door of the palace and watched as Saderian mounted Neara and rode off. He strained his eyes, trying to follow the white horse, but he soon lost her among the trees.

“Saderian will be back soon,” remarked Thranduil as he came up behind his son.

“Father, we were going to tell you something, though there was not the time,” began Legolas. “Saderian is now my mate.”

Thranduil froze at the words. He was filled with joy that his son had found someone to give his heart to. Though he was also filled with dread, wondering what it was that he had just done. “Saderian will be back soon my son,” he repeated, trying to also convince himself.



Saderian had been riding for days, having left the trees of Mirkwood behind. She had quickly glanced at a map, and decided that the easiest way to get to Isengard was to pass through the forest of Lothlorien and then make for the gap of Rohan. Saderian led Neara into the golden forest as they approached.

It was so peaceful that she hardly noticed the elves watching her. It was said that a hunter from Lorien could fell a creature before it could blink. Saderian glanced uneasily at the trees, wondering how far they would let her go.

She had her answer when arrows were suddenly pointed at her heart. “What is you business here?” asked one of the golden-haired elves from the group.

“I wish to pass safely through the wood,” answered Saderian, bowing her head. “I am Saderian, come from Mirkwood, and wish to cause no one trouble.”

The elf nodded. “I am Haldir of Lorien. The lady of the wood wishes to see you.” Saderian nodded and followed Haldir through the forest. Neara was led away, much to the elf’s dislike. She soon forgot her worry though as she began to talk to Haldir.

It was at the end of the day that Saderian was brought before the Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. The elven queen glided down the stair, staring at Saderian. She felt as if Galadriel could see into her very soul.

“Saderian of Mirkwood,” began Galadriel. “I feel in your mind and soul that you are distressed. Your journey has been filled with sorrow due to what you left behind.” Legolas flashed through her mind and Galadriel smiled softly. “Yes, your mate. You must be strong Saderian, for your task is not an easy one. Hardships greater than you can imagine await you. I do not intend to hold you from your journey. Though I ask that you listen to these words: Magic is upheld by the will, but when they will is distracted, so the magic weakens.” Galadriel paused, letting Saderian process the words. “I shall not hinder you further. Go with fresh stores and be safe.”

Saderian bowed, thanking the lady. “Saderian,” Galadriel said, stepping in front of her. “He is anxious for your return. Be safe, so that you may tell him of your love again.”

Saderian smiled. “As is my intent,” she replied. “Thank you fair lady, good lord. I shall hopefully return in good spirits.” Galadriel sighed as Saderian turned away. She knew of all that entered into her realm, and those with the hardest tasks do not always return.

Saderian grinned at Neara when she met up with the horse, standing with Haldir next to her. “I fear I cannot ride you, the road will become too dangerous. Haldir, I ask that you watch my horse upon my return.”

Haldir nodded and Saderian shouldered her pack, replenished with stores. With a last look, she left the realm of Lothlorien. Saderian took the rest of the land on foot. Though the path was trying and long, she did not regret her decision to leave Neara behind. Especially when she passed through the Gap of Rohan and came to Isengard.

The night was young and the moon had not yet risen when she came upon the stone walls of Isengard. There were patrols along the top, but they could not detect the elf. Saderian grasped onto a few of the stones that stuck out and pulled herself halfway up the wall. When the guard patrol had passed, Saderian leaped over the wall, landing safely on the other side.

Isengard was silent, save the few hushed voices of the guard. Saderian crept through the trees, her feet making no imprint on the soft grass. Picking a tree near both the tower of Orthanc and the main road, Saderian climbed into the densest part of the tree. She didn’t know how long she would stay, but her provisions would not last more than a week.

It was not until morning that anything happened. A galloping horse caught Saderian’s attention. “Mithrandir,” she whispered to herself, seeing Gandalf the Grey greeting Saruman. She listened intently as the two began to walk among the trees and held her breath when she caught one word in particular: ring.

Saderian wanted to hear more, but they soon went inside the great tower. She watched for his return, but became uneasy as the day passed by and there was no sign of the wizard. When the light began to fade, three small figures came down the road, clad in dark clothing and seeming to hobble along. When they passed by the tree, there was not a doubt in Saderian’s mind that they were orcs.

Saderian did not know how much time had passed, but she was startled out of her thoughts by an inhuman roar beyond the stone walls of Isengard. Orcs by the hundreds came marching in and began to destroy the trees around them. Saderian climbed higher, looking for more cover and saw Saruman standing on the stairs. He looked slightly distracted, but he seemed pleased with the orcs’ arrival.

Saderian stopped and glanced around her, there would be no chance of her escape going unnoticed. Saderian took off her pack and fitted an arrow to the string of her bow. She checked her knives and the hidden dagger in her boot before aiming down through the trees. The first orc that came near her fell dead before he had touched the trunk.

Shouts rolled through the forest as orcs began to fall. Her quiver was nearly empty when something that looked like lightening hit the branch she stood on. Saderian jumped from the tree, pulling out her knives as she did so. The second her feet touched the ground, orcs attacked her. The orcs though, had never come up against an elf before. Saderian didn’t see where it came from, but the lightening that had hit the tree, hit her directly. She fell to the ground in pain with a sharp cry, her knives falling from her hands.

“It appears we have a spy of the elven race,” commented Saruman as he stepped over the dead bodies. “A she-elf at that. You have sealed your own fate, elf of the wood!” Saruman pointed his staff at her and Saderian cried out in agony as pain shot through her.

High up, on the tower of Orthanc, Gandalf awoke with a start. He crawled over to the side and looked at the destruction that had begun. He saw a group of orcs, surrounding two people. One was Saruman. The other he did not know, but a cry reached his ears and he knew the voice to be elven. The elf was grasped by orcs and taken into the tower, and Gandalf knew his situation to be even more desperate.

Saderian gradually had her senses return to her as she was dragged up the flights of stairs. She had to keep herself from retching over the steps as she felt the orcs’ hands on her. The pain in her head had nearly gone when she was thrown in a fairly bare room with one small window. The door slammed shut behind her and she heard Saruman muttering words outside.

Saderian climbed to her feet carefully. She refused to be held captive. Hoping that she might be able to open the door with pure force, she ran at it with her shoulder going first. The second her body made contact with the metal, a shock ran through her body and mind. Everything had gone black before she had even hit the ground.



| Part III |
| Index |