By the Light of the Moon
Series: Morning Star
Author: KimmyLynn
-----

The waning moon moved silently across the sky, shining its light down on the lonely elf. It was only a few hours until dawn, and as usual Legolas had the late night watch. His ice-blue eyes scanned the surrounding trees for any movement, his ears straining for any signs of danger. He yawned and stretched, settling further back against the trunk of the tree. He didn't mind the late night watch, for he wouldn't have been sleeping anyway. Unlike his companions, he only slept a couple of hours a night. And even those hours were restless, his sleep troubled by barely remembered dreams. It was the same dream, that much he knew for certain. In his waking hours, the dream haunted him; tormented him with vague and misty visions of a wolf and a girl. There was something powerful in the images, a message that he knew he must decipher; but that he could not yet grasp.

As he sat in silence, the dream once again teasing him, his ears picked up the distant sound of hoofbeats. He tensed, fearing that the Dark Riders had once again picked up their trail. His gaze danced along the perimeter of trees, seeing nothing save the tangled shadows of branches. A distant howl floated to him on the wind, the mournful call of a wolf searching for his mate. Wolves had become rather rare of late, and Legolas wondered if he might catch a glimpse of this one. No sooner had the thought crossed his mind, than a dark shape moved into his field of vision. He raised his bow, ready to attack. But instead of a wolf, he watched as the huddled form of a hobbit became illuminated by the moon's glow. Legolas lowered his bow, smiling as Sam crawled up onto the rock beside him.

"Couldn't sleep Sam?", he asked softly.

"I was sleeping fine, until I heard the howling of a wolf. Did you hear it Master Legolas?"

"I did indeed."

"I didn't think there were any more wolves in these woods.", Sam said; looking around warily.

"Well, it would seem that there is one. For you heard it, just as I did."

'That I did. It was such a sad sound too, all melancholy like. As if it had lost its best friend or something."

"Perhaps it did.", the elf replied; favoring Sam with a gentle smile.

The two sat in silence, waiting for an answering call from the wolf's mate. None was forthcoming, and after several minutes they heard another howl from the wolf; closer this time. It was indeed a melancholy sound, full of pain and sorrow. Sam shivered at the sound, pulling his cloak tighter around him. Overhead, the shrill call of a hawk pierced the night. The sounds of the forest fell silent, as if the very trees waited for the great beast to make an appearance. The air became heavy, as if the world were holding it's breath; waiting for some epic event. Legolas found that he too had been holding his breath, releasing it in a long sigh. Beside him, Sam scooted closer; seeking the safety of the elf's bow.

"Don't worry Sam, I am sure the wolf won't make an appearance."

No sooner had he spoken, than a shadow passed through the shadows off to their left. Sam gasped, his hand flying up to his mouth. Legolas tensed, waiting for the beast's next move. He didn't have to wait long, for the dark form moved into the moonlit clearing before them. It stopped suddenly, sniffing the air. The two companions watched silently, in awe of the creature. It was huge, larger than any wolf had the right to be. And coal black, barely more than a shadow. The waning light of the moon danced across it, turning the outer hairs of its coat a gleaming silver. It stopped suddenly, sniffing the air. Turning its head toward the shadows where they sat, it's golden eyes focused on the two men. Neither moved, for fear the wolf would lunge at them. It stared at them for a moment, quite unnerving the archer. There was something almost human in the beast's gaze, and Legolas felt drawn in by its soulful eyes. He leaned forward, as if he meant to stand. Beside him, Sam grabbed his arm.

"Legolas.", he hissed.

The elf settled back against the tree, absently brushing away the young hobbit's hand. He didn't look at him, his gaze never wavering from the wolf's eyes.

The wolf cocked it's head to the side, as if studying the elf for a long moment. Then, he lifted his head to the moon; singing forth once again his mournful song. The soft sound of bells came to them then, very near. The wolf turned from them, looking off in the direction from whence he had come. As they watched, a gleaming white stallion appeared, silver bells jingling on the blue silken bridle. And atop the horse, sat the most beautiful woman that Legolas had ever seen. On one arm, there sat a snowy-white falcon. Legolas was sure that it was the same bird whose cry he had heard moments before, in answer to the wolf's howl. As she entered the clearing, she pulled the stallion to a halt. She spoke in whispers to the hawk, who suddenly took flight; disappearing into the night. She slid from the horse's back, landing gracefully on the ground. She smiled at the wolf, straigtening the pale blue dress she wore; as if to make herself presentable. The wolf moved to her, his tail gently wagging. The woman knelt down beside him, planting a tender kiss on his head; and speaking softly to him.

Legolas let his gaze travel over her, studying her intently. It was clear that she was an elf, anyone would have known that. The truth of what he knew her to be was evident in the impossibly pale curls that flowed down her back, spiralling in perfect ringlets. It was in the pale golden eyes that shone in the moonlight, eyes that glittered with ancient knowledge. The truth lay in creamy pale skin, the perfection of which was only to be found among the elves. It spoke in the way that she moved, with the flowing grace of a swan at daybreak. And it sang out from her delicate features, features that were undeniably elven. Had he been blind, he was certain that he would have still recognized her presence, still known who and what she was. For he had heard the legends all of his life, the tales of the beautiful princess; exiled from her kind.

Had she stayed for hours, it would not have been long enough. Legolas felt that he could watch her for an eternity, and still not see all there was. But the night was growing short, a fact that the elf before him seemed well aware of. Before long, she stood up; favoring the wolf with a beautiful smile. Turning back to the stallion, her gaze swept across Legolas and Sam. She stood very still for a moment, as if she saw them despite the shadows that surrounded them. Legolas felt his breath catch in his chest, oddly unnerved by the woman's gaze. He half expected her to speak, prayed that she would. He had never wanted anything more, had never felt such a powerful need before. He wanted to hear her speak, to hear what he was certain would be a lilting and melodic voice. But the woman turned from him in silence, and mounted her horse. Snapping the reins, she trotted the stallion back into the shadows; disappearing as quickly as she had come.

Neither spoke for several moments, each lost in his own thoughts. The jingling of the bridle bells became fainter and fainter, before finally growing silent. Gradually, the sounds of the forest returned; seemingly deafening after their prolonged silence. Sam was the first to speak, in hushed whispers that hid the excitement that was boiling deep in the pit of his stomach.

"That was an elf, wasn't it.", he whispered; his voice tinged with awe.

"That was no mere elf, Sam."

"What?"

"That was the Morning Star. The princess Saqarra.", Legolas explained.

"Saqarra? But I thought she was just a legend, a tale told around campfires late at night."

"Perhaps some legends are true, my dear Samwise."

Sam did not answer, as his thoughts turned inward. He slid from the rock, deciding that a few more hours sleep would do him no harm. He knew that he would never sleep, his mind was too filled with wonder. But, at the very least, he could think on what had happened. Behind him, the elf smiled softly; knowing that the hobbit would have a hundred questions come morning. He settled back against the tree, his eyes once again scanning the perimeter for danger. In the distance, a howl cut through the night. It was the mournful song of the wolf, once again searching for what it had lost. As it faded away, Legolas' mind wandered back to the woman. As the night closed in around him, his thoughts turned to the legends of old; where they would remain until the dawn came.

~FIN


| Part II |
| Index |