Truth Becomes Legend, Legend Become Myth
Series: Morning Star
Author: KimmyLynn
-----

Legolas shifted uncomfortably on the rock, sighing as the first hints of dawn danced across the sky. Misty fingers of red and gold reached out, pushing back the night; making way for the coming of the sun. A few stray clouds drifted slowly by, their bellies painted in delicate hues of lavender and pink. The dawn had always held magic for him, for as long as he could remember. With the dawn, everything was new again; like there was no past. His father had often said that the dawn had no memory, no past and no future. Simply a brief and shining moment, when it simply was. A single moment when the pale pink light of morning was triumphant over the inky blackness, vanquishing the shadows. Legolas longed to be like the dawn, to live in that brief and glorious moment when the shadows were driven away. But, there seemed to be so many shadows now, hanging over the quest. He wondered briefly if the fellowship would indeed triumph like the dawn, would they drive away the shadows in the end.

The smell of coffee wafted to him, snapping him out of his dark reverie. He sighed, standing up and stretching cramped muscles. He moved silently back to camp, sitting down across the fire from Sam. He picked up a piece of bread, nibbling on it absently. From the nervous fidgeting of the hobbit, he knew that Sam would soon tell everyone of the events of the previous night. There was a part of Legolas that wanted very much for Sam to keep quiet, that wanted to keep the vision of the elf to himself. He closed his eyes, silently praying that the hobbit would remain silent. But his prayers were destined to go unheeded, as Sam loudly cleared his throat.

"Did anyone else hear the howling of the wolf last night?", he asked.

"Wolf? There are no wolves in these parts.", Boromir said.

"I heard it, but I thought that I was dreaming.", Frodo added.

"I think the both of you were dreaming.", Boromir laughed.

"It was no dream. We saw the wolf, me and Legolas. And it wasn't alone."

"Is that true, did you see a wolf?", Aragorn asked; his concern evident.

"We did. A very large black wolf, there in the clearing.", the elf replied; pointing to the spot.

"And that wasn't all. Tell then what else we saw Legolas.", Sam badgered.

"We saw an elf."

"An elf?", the group repeated in unison.

"Not just any elf, mind you.", Sam said excitedly. "But Saqarra."

A chuckle went up from the group, as all thought that the hobbit and the elf were trying to have a bit of fun with them. They had all heard the legends, of course. But none of them believed them to be true. Only Gandalf remained silent, his eyes growing dark. Sam blushed deeply, realizing that they did not believe him. And Legolas wasn't saying anything, as if he too disbelieved what he had seen with his own eyes.

"I know what I saw.", Sam said petulantly.

"Oh, I do not doubt you Sam.", Gandalf said.

"What?", came the chorus of shocked voices.

"Truth becomes legend, and legend becomes myth. And yet, at the heart of every myth there lies a that single grain of truth. And perhaps, this legend is more true than most.", the wizard explained.

"I'm not certain that I fully remember the tale Gandalf.", Merry said impishly; favoring Sam with a wink. "Why don't you refresh our memories."

"Very well.", Gandalf said, as he prepared to tell the tale.

"Well, it all started a very long time ago; you must remember that. The world was still young, and the beliefs of many were still ruled by prophecy and superstition. In the land of Argyle, there was a great elven king; Lord Daithin. There was borne unto him a child, a daughter. His beloved wife died in childbirth, leaving the king alone; save for the daughter. The child was named Saqarra, after her mother's final wishes. She became known as the Morning Star, for her beauty shone as bright as the sun. She was the most precious treasure of her father, who adored the child above all else. And the people of Argyle adored her as he did, and all who knew her were enchanted by her. For she was soft and gentle, and kind to all whom she met. Her father placed all of his hopes and dreams into the child, into his Morning Star. He hired the best tutors that could be found, bringing them from distant lands. So that Saqarra could be well educated in the ways of the world, though she never left the bounderies of her father's kingdom. She was to be the bright and shining future of her people."

"But as Saqarra grew, she discovered strange powers within herself, powers not possessed by others of her kind. Many were harmless, such as speaking to animals and the ability to bend fire to her whim. But there were darker powers as well, and chief among them was her ability to walk in other worlds. Being merely a child, she was delighted by this odd ability; and anxious to show it to others. But her father, and the people of Argyle, were not nearly so pleased as she. They said that it was the powers of darkness at work, the work of the dark lords. Daithin forbid his daughter to use this power, but she would not heed his warnings. She continued to walk in those unseen worlds, although she kept that fact hidden for many years."

"As far as her father knew, Saqarra left those dark powers behind; binding herself to his dreams for the future. But there were those that had seen her odd comings and goings, and whispers began. Softly at first, but growing steadily louder as the years flowed by. And then it happened that the princess fell desperately in love, with a young elf named Tristan. Many hoped that love would tame her, destroy her desire to journey to worlds that they could not fathom. But the lure of the power was strong, and Saqarra remained enamored with her unique gift. Eventually, her father sought the help of a powerful wizard; to bind his child from using the dark gift. But arriving in Argyle, the wizard formed a plan of his own. For her, like so many others, became enamored with her. When she refused his advances, he vowed to curse her in the most fiendish way he knew. He knew that nothing could hurt the elf more, than to loose Tristan. So, the wizard cursed Saqarra's love. Some say that he killed the elf outright, others say that he imprisoned him in an ancient oak tree. But most of the legends claim that he turned the elf into a large black wolf, a form in which he would remain until the day that he died."

"When Saqarra learned of the wizard's treachery, she flew into a horrible rage; consumed by hatred and grief. She sought out the wizard, who had not yet fled Argyle. Some say that she slew him with her father's sword. While other's claim that she vowed to hound his steps all the days of his life. Whatever the truth was, the fate of the princess was sealed. She fled Argyle, with the black wolf at her side. And from that day hence, she has never again returned to her father's kimgdom. Choosing instead to wander the land alone, with only the wolf for companion."

No one spoke for several minutes, enraptured by Gandalf's tale. The wizard smiled proudly, for he had not lost his ability to tell a good tale.

"Well, that was a pleasant diversion. But we do still have a journey before us.", Aragorn said; breaking the silence.

All nodded their agreement, standing up and busying themselves with breaking camp. Sam stayed close to Legolas, as if he wanted to speak to the elf. Finally, tiring of the hobbit's nearness, the elf turned and spoke.

"What is it Sam?"

"You saw her, just the same as I."

"Yes."

"Do you believe the legend, as Gandalf told it?"

"I have no reason to doubt it."

"Do you think we will see her again?", the hobbit whispered.

"I don't know."

"I hope we do.", Sam said dreamily; turning from the elf and moving off to join Frodo and the others.

"So do I Sam, so do I.", the elf murmered to himself.

~FIN


| Part III |
| Index |