The Other Side of Reality: Part IV
by Alexandra
------

Adalia sighed as she read through her book, trying to refresh her memory as to how to speak Elvish. It had been five years since she had spoken it. Sitting in Legolas’ study, she could ask the elf about any words that she didn’t understand.

"Legolas, what does lithlad mean?"

"Lithlad means plain of ashes," he answered, hardly looking up from his work. Adalia nodded and went back to reading.

A knock on the door disturbed them both as Legolas told them to enter. Giliath came through and nodded to them. "He wants to see you," the elf said simply.

Legolas immediately frowned. "Why?"

"He wants to make a deal with the information he carries."

Legolas’ eyes narrowed as he stood up. "I do not know of any deal, but I will speak with him if he is willing."

Adalia slammed her book shut. "I’m coming too," she stated, figuring out whom they were talking about.

"No Adalia," said Legolas firmly, turning to her. "I do not want you near him."

"Don’t go all protective on me Legolas," she protested. "I have a right to see him." Turning to Giliath, she asked, "Where is Rina?"

The elf smiled. "She is riding with Laurelin. Your daughter is a fast learner."

Adalia nodded. "Please make sure that Rina stays away from the lower levels." Giliath nodded and she sighed. "Let’s go."

The three walked through the corridors down to the lower levels. Legolas walked straight up to the doors, crossed his arms over his chest, and said, "Well?"

The man, who had been sleeping, stood up. He opened his mouth to say something, but caught sight of Adalia next to Giliath. A sneer crossed his face. "What a pity that you are still breathing."

Adalia rolled her eyes. "Tell me about it. If I were dead, I would be rid of your foul stench. Are you allergic to bathing or something?"

The man scowled and took a step closer to the bars. "Give me one more chance to get my fingers around your throat."

He paused as an arrow pressed itself at the base of his neck. He raised his dark eyes to meet the cold, steel blue eyes of Legolas. "You best desist," he growled. "Lest I help you do so." The man took a step back, relaxing when the metal was away from his skin. "Who is the one who commands you?"

The man stared at him, a slight smile in his eyes. "You knew him once, long ago. Knew him well in fact, though it has been years since last you spoke with him."

Legolas’ brow furrowed in confusion. "Of whom do you speak?"

The man grinned devilishly. "I have no need to tell you of the one who wishes to cause you pain."

Legolas drew the bowstring back, aiming at the man’s forehead. "You have a need to continue your breathing. Who?"

"Why, my lord is none other than Aeglos, your brother."

The arrow slipped from Legolas’ fingers and hit the floor. "Aeglos?" he whispered in disbelief and shock. "It is Aeglos that hunts Adalia and Rina?"

The man smiled mockingly. "He wishes for his power to be returned to him. If that means taking all that is dear to his perfect sibling, then he will do so."

Legolas lapsed into a confused silence. Adalia stepped forward, placing a hand on his forearm. "Why are you serving a second rate elf?"

"He has given me a place of power in his kingdom, should I wish it. The realm of Gondor is a tedious place to live, what with that ruffian King Elessar and that half breed Arwen."

Quicker than the eye could follow, both Legolas and Giliath had arrows notched and pressed against the man’s skin. Adalia took a step back, not willing to be between her husband’s fury and this man.

"You will never speak such words again," hissed Giliath.

For the second time in captivity, the man’s eyes shown with fear. He had heard many stories of the kindliness of the elves, and had pressed their patience too far. He retreated to the wall, knowing full well that the elves were known for their accuracy.

Adalia wasn’t quite sure what to do. She did know that she still wanted answers. "If you are from Gondor, how did you get to my world?"

"By the tree," he said simply. "Aeglos had told me where it was."

"Aeglos knew of it?"

"Of course. In my brief time in your world, I had heard some things of elves. Aeglos had been to your world many centuries before, hence the myths and legends."

"And you have just decided to leave one day, trusting a rogue elf’s empty promises? I have a question. How stupid are you?"

"I am smart enough to know that I am not the last. You will be within his hands soon enough. You and your precious child."

Anger rose in her eyes as she took a step closer. But Legolas turned his head and stared into the darkness, as if listening. Transferring his bow and arrow into one hand, he grabbed Adalia with the other and raced up the stairs, leaving Giliath with the man.

"Legolas, what in the world?" began Adalia. She quieted down though when she heard what he must have heard: Rina was crying. Fear seized her heart as she ran towards the sound. They both burst through the doors to the great hall at the same time. Laurelin sat, trying to comfort a hysterical Rina while several guards stood about.

Rina caught sight of them and ran at them, throwing herself into Adalia’s arms. "What happened?" Adalia asked, scared and bewildered at the same time.

"It was the spiders," answered Laurelin. "We were riding and Rina went through the trees, ahead of myself and the guards. She screamed and we came to see her nearly held upside down by one of the beasts. Besides being shaken by the whole experience, we are all fine, though Tathar was injured when he attempted to kill the spider."

Relief flooded through Adalia’s heart, knowing that Aeglos had not hurt Rina. She would have to talk to Legolas about him later. Nodding her thanks to both Laurelin and the remaining guards, she took the crying child out of the room.

Legolas spoke briefly with the guard, gathering the rest of the details. He then went with Laurelin to see Tathar who was with the healer. Legolas wanted to go see Rina, but he knew he had other things to attend to first. When there was no one left to talk to, Legolas headed off to the bedrooms. He went to the room given to Rina and paused outside the door, listening.

"The spiders are far away angel," Adalia said, her voice slightly muffled through the door. "You’re safe here. Why don’t you get some sleep? I’ll wake you for dinner."

"Story first. The one of the Prince."

"If it will help you go to sleep. Once upon a time there was a handsome prince. He was a great warrior and friends with many people. One day he came a cross a woman who was hopelessly lost. She was a simple girl, not with great beauty or many riches. But the prince took pity on her and brought her to his kingdom. At first, the prince and the woman couldn’t stand each other. So they fought and the woman went to a distant land. While they were apart, they realized that they needed each other, that they loved each other. So the handsome prince rode to find her, fighting his way among enemies as he went. The prince told the woman that he loved her when next they met. From them on they lived happily ever after."

He smiled when he heard silence. A few seconds later the door opened and she smiled at him, closing the door behind her. "Happily ever after?" he asked.

"All stories have to end happily ever after for children or they won’t go to sleep," she said with a grin. "Our story ends well enough."

"So it was about us," he said, his arms encircling her waist. "The story."

"Well, I was hopelessly lost and you were a handsome prince. You could say that the story was about us. Rina likes it almost as much as the songs that you taught me."

"I call you lindor for a reason," Legolas replied. "You are my songbird."

She smiled softly and laid her head on his shoulder. "And you are my luchador, my fighter."

He sighed. "A fighter indeed. I will always fight for you."

Adalia sighed as well. "You have said it before Legolas, I do not doubt you." She lifted up her head and sought his eyes with her own. "I love you and I trust you. Nothing will change that. Now I want to talk to you, but not out here. Let’s go back to our room."

They walked to their nearby room. When the door was shut behind them, Adalia turned and looked at Legolas. "I thought you said Aeglos fell at the Battle of Five Armies."

The Elvenking dropped wearily into a chair and nodded. "He did. I was at my brother’s burial."

"Then how can he be back?"

"Lindor, you forget the way of elves. When we die, our spirits pass into the Halls of Mandos, where if we choose we wait to be reborn. Though it takes time once we are reborn, all of our memories are returned to us. Aeglos always wanted to be king. Finding out that that privilege was taken away from him would not set well with him. But why his anger towards me is understandable, I cannot see why he should hurt you." He paused and shook his head. "I cannot fathom Aeglos this way."

Adalia crouched in front of him, resting her hands on his knees. "I’m sorry Legolas. I can only imagine what it would feel like if my brother Josh were trying to kill you. But you don’t have to worry too much, I think he underestimates me. He won’t take me down without a fight, both physical and verbal."

He smiled. "Yes, my lindor would put up quite a struggle."

She chuckled. "Damn straight. Come on, let’s go talk with Giliath and your advisors, see what they think."

As it was, Adalia would come to regret that suggestion. "What?" she exclaimed at the general opinion of his advisors. "No way in hell."

"Adalia, they are right. The best thing that can be done is to keep you here where we can watch over you."

"Legolas, I’m not some weak maiden! You know I can fight, you taught me yourself. I refuse to be locked in the palace like some damn wretched prisoner!"

The advisors looked at each other, surprised that she had refused outright. Legolas sighed and grabbed her hands, pulling her to stand in front of him. "Lindor, do you not see we are only trying to protect you? I could not bear it should anything evil befall you."

The smallest smile tugged at her lips as her tone softened. "Luchador. I know you are just trying to help me, but I think you have forgotten that I hate to feel helpless. I can’t sit around and do nothing, that’s not how I am. Now, I do think that Rina should be kept here, but not me, not now."

He nodded resignedly. "For now I will relent. Though this is not the end of this discussion. Right now, we need to warn and ask help of our allies. Elladen and Elrohir remain in Rivendell, they should be contacted. Also Celeborn in Lothlorien and Aragorn in Gondor. They all knew of or have met Aeglos."

"A bit of a big army for one simple matter," commented Adalia.

"Your life is no simple matter Adalia," Legolas responded evenly. "Aeglos was a fierce warrior, more skilled with bow and knife than myself. And he has nothing to lose. I will not take any chances. The word goes to our friends in the morning."

His various advisors left, leaving Legolas and Adalia alone in the study where the meeting was held. "It’s going to take time for them to receive the warning," pointed out Adalia.

"That is true, but right now I am going to prepare to leave. I will go and speak with Elladen and Elrohir."

"All right. When are we leaving?" asked Adalia.

"We are not leaving. I am going to leave in two days time," replied Legolas. "You are to stay here."

"Excuse me? What the hell did I just say about not locking me up?"

Legolas sighed and for the first time she could really see how truly weary this whole ordeal was making him. "Adalia, please," he nearly pleaded. "For now I want you to stay here. Besides, Rina need someone to be with her. Lindor, for five years I have endured the pain of not having you by my side. It was only the knowledge that my people needed me that kept me from fading. You are finally back here and I do not want to lose you so quickly. Please stay here, at least until the threat that Aeglos poses is known to others."

Legolas had held her eyes the whole time, but now Adalia looked down. She understood what he was saying; she was just too stubborn to realize it. Nodding slowly she looked back up at him. "I will wait for now, just until you return. But you have to promise me that you will be careful."

Legolas grinned. "Of course Adalia. I know the way to Rivendell well. Now we must go to dinner, the rest of this conversation can wait."

"I want to go change first. Why don’t you go and wake Rina?"

His eyes flashed with something akin to excitement. "Of course. I shall meet you there." They shared a sweet kiss before departing, Legolas on his way to Rina’s room.

Quietly walking into the child’s room, he smiled at her peaceful face. Though she looked much like Adalia, she had an air of elvish grace about her. Crouching in front of the bed, he gently brushed his hand down her face. "Rina."

She yawned and opened her eyes. "Hi daddy," Rina said happily.

He couldn’t stop the full-fledged smile that came to his lips if he tried. "It’s time for dinner."

She yawned again and rubbed her eyes. "I’m still tired."

"You can go to sleep afterward," Legolas replied. He picked the child out of the bed and settled her on his hip, smiling as her small arms snaked around his neck. He carried her to the dining hall where he nodded to the other elves before setting Rina in a seat near his.

Adalia came in a few moments later, hugged Rina and sat on Legolas’ side. "So, what’s for dinner?"


| Part V |
| Index |