The Other Side of Reality: Part V
by Alexandra
------

. Legolas made sure that his quiver and knives were securely strapped to his back. Straightening his tunic, he glanced in the mirror as he passed. Sighing, he turned and walked over to the bed to wake Adalia.

"Lindor," he whispered, gently shaking her shoulder. "I am leaving lindor."

Her gray eyes opened at his voice. "Already?" she asked rather groggily.

He smiled. "I am afraid so. I shall be home hopefully within three weeks time."

Adalia climbed out of bed, still tired from last night. She pulled on some pants and a shirt so she could see Legolas off. Before leaving the room, he pulled her to him, kissing her deeply. "I will return soon."

They walked out to the courtyard where the rest of Legolas’ party were, primarily guards with a few advisors. He hugged his wife one more time before nimbly leaping onto his horse.

Giliath strode over and stood next to Adalia. He had wanted to go along, but Legolas had said no. Someone needed to make sure that things went well and that Adalia was all right. He could trust Giliath.

"Be careful," Giliath advised needlessly.

"Do not worry," the Elvenking said with a grin. He was about to ride away when a cry reached his ears. Rina came running out the door, Laurelin not far behind.

"You didn’t say goodbye to me!" pouted Rina, holding her arms up.

Adalia lifted the child up to hug Legolas. "I am sorry princess, I didn’t want to wake you. Though now that you are awake I want to tell you to be good for your mother. I will be back soon, okay?"

She nodded happily. "Okay daddy." She planted a wet kiss on his cheek in forgiveness. He handed the child back to Adalia as he smiled at the both of them.

"Now get out of here," ordered Adalia. "The sooner you leave, the sooner you’ll get back."

Legolas laughed and turned his horse, galloping away, his group behind him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Legolas nodded as he looked around at what once was Elrond’s library. "It is Aeglos."

Elrond’s dark haired twins sat opposite him. Elladen and Elrohir received the news gravely, for they had also known Aeglos well. "Do you know where he might be?" asked Elrohir.

Legolas shook his head. "I know little. I would think he hides somewhere nearby, but he knows Mirkwood well. Aeglos could be hiding in many places."

"And the man was from Gondor?"

"That is what he said. He also said that he was not the last and both Adalia and Rina would be captured eventually."

Elladen nodded in sympathy. "I could see why you would be so worried. We will give you what help we can." He paused then for a second to think. "I too am having trouble believing Aeglos could do such a thing."

"He always wanted power," Legolas admitted. "He will try to claim the throne."

"And should you come to meet Aeglos again?" Elrohir questioned.

Legolas looked up at the twins, their eyes old with the wisdom Elrond passed onto them. "Adalia is my wife and I would give my life for her and Rina. My fear is though," he faltered in his speech. "Aeglos was a great warrior, he taught me all my skills. I am afraid that I will have neither the strength nor the will to defeat him. I fear that I will be too weak."

"Legolas," began Elrohir. "You are one of the greatest elves. One of the most admirable, with great wisdom and deadly ability. You have nothing to fear. You will come through this fine, as well as Adalia and Rina."

Legolas smiled at him. "Only have the words of Elrond been able to comfort me so. Thank you. Now let us lay out our plans."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Adalia awoke one morning on the third week of Legolas’ absence. Her eyes wide and her hand over her mouth, she jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. This had happened to her the past few days, waking up sick.

She groaned and leaned against the bathroom wall, wondering why she was sick and why she was having some cravings for sushi. She hated sushi. She drew in a sharp breath when the only possible explanation hit her.

Adalia was pregnant.

She didn’t know whether to scream in agony or delight. She hated being pregnant, though she loved the end result. The frequent morning sickness, mood swings, odd cravings and not being able to fit into any of her clothes was horrible. But this time Legolas would be with her.

Her eyes widened still further when she thought of her husband. He was due back tomorrow and she wondered how he would react to the news, of having a child.

Climbing up from the bathroom floor, she wearily walked back into the bedroom. She couldn’t help but snicker when she thought of how the elves would receive a pregnant human woman. She knew that an elf’s pregnancy was very different. They carried the child for roughly nine months as humans do, but such things as mood swings were absent from their demeanor. Adalia would probably succeed in pissing off more than a few people in the coming months.

Adalia stopped herself. She wasn’t even positive that she was pregnant yet. And how would she find out? There wasn’t exactly a drugstore nearby.

She knew she had to tell someone. Sticking her head out the door, she turned to one of the ever-present guards. "Could you do me a favor and please find Laurelin?" The guard bowed and left.

Adalia paced around her room for a time, both worry and joy sketched on her face. A soft knock came at her door and she opened it to find both Laurelin and Giliath standing there.

"The guard has said you seemed worried," explained Giliath. "I came to make sure everything is all right."

Adalia nodded and shut the door behind them. She started pacing again, the two elves watching her curiously. She stopped abruptly and turned to them. "I need to tell Legolas, but I don’t want to tell him something that isn’t true. I need another opinion before I do anything. I think I might be with child."

The two elves’ eyes widened. "Surely this is a joyous thing," said Giliath.

"Yes and no," replied Adalia. "The thing is though, I’m not sure if I am pregnant or not. The method we use isn’t really available to me here."

Laurelin walked over to Adalia and placed her hand on the woman’s stomach. Closing her eyes, she paused as a small smile crept onto her face. "There is indeed a life growing within your womb."

"Now why would this be something to worry about?" asked Giliath baffled. "Should you not be celebrating?"

"Oh, I’m incredibly happy that Legolas and I are going to have another child, don’t get me wrong. It’s just the process of being pregnant itself is horrible. I am apologizing right now for anything inappropriate that I may say or do."

Both elves smirked and hugged her. "Once you tell Legolas, we will hold a great feast in celebration of the news."

There was a great clatter outside and Giliath checked out the window. Smiling, he turned back to Adalia. "Legolas has returned earlier than expected."

Adalia ran out of the room towards the courtyard, not noticing if they followed her or not. She dodged elves as she ran, eager to see her husband who had been gone for three weeks.

She burst out the door to the courtyard and Legolas turned around. He smiled and laughed as she nearly threw herself into his arms. "I have something to tell you," she said joyfully, looking into his eyes.

He smiled. "What is it?"

Adalia glanced around at the many elves. "Come with me and I’ll tell you." She pulled him back towards their room, wanting to see his face at the news.

Legolas wondered what it was that Adalia seemed so anxious to tell him. "Lindor, I have not yet been home for five minutes. What could be so urgent?"

She pulled him into their room and shut the door behind him. Turning to face him, she smiled and placed his hands on her stomach. He was about to speak when he felt the life within her stir. His eyes widened. "A child?" he whispered in disbelief.

Adalia nodded. "Our child, growing within me."

Legolas’ face broke out into the widest smile. "Another child!" he exclaimed, picking Adalia up and swinging her around.

She laughed and ordered him to put her down. "I don’t want my morning sickness to return." He looked at her quizzically and Adalia laughed.

"Luchador, I’m warning you, human pregnancy is very different. The next nine months are going to be hell, for the both of us."

"But this time we are together," he pointed out. "Things will be better now. I will make sure of that."


| Part VI |
| Index |