Take My Light: Part I
by Jaelawyn Noble
-----

"We've won!" Legolas told his lover with a smile. His voice was filled with exuberant joy. He turned his emerald green eyes to his mortal love, Aragorn. The King of Gondor smiled at the Elf. "Finally, we are truly free from Sauron."

"That we are, old friend. That we are," Aragorn murmured. In the midst of his joy, Legolas hadn't noticed that Aragorn had referred to his as "friend" and not "love" as he usually did.

"The world signs for the rebirth of Middle-Earth. It will be cleansed in time. It sings for the hope that we have given it," Legolas said, eyes shinning and smiling with innocence. He kissed Aragorn with an unmistakable sweetness that made the King of Men want to weep in sadness.

"Master Elf! Ranger! Come! We head to Rivendell!" Gimli called out.

Legolas picked up his arrows and yanked some out of the enemy. He walked over to his horse and mounted up, slinging his bow over his shoulder. Aragorn and the others had already mounted. The Elf was lighthearted and carefree. Aragorn watched the Elf as he burst into song. He sang,

"Free from the Evil of Mordor,
The Land rejoices in song,
No more toil in Middle-Earth,
Sauron is gone!

"The Orcs retreat
As the Call is made,
Listen evil,
The trade has been made!

"Sauron is no more,
For his power destroyed,
The Ring form his hand been torn,
Cast into the fire of the Morn'!

"Middle-Earth can live again,
Safety known throughout,
We will finally mend
The rift of the South!"

The Hobbits applauded; Gimli nodded and grumbled praise. Gandalf smiled, "Elves love to celebrate and sing," he said.

Legolas ducked his head. "Dancing as well. Mirkwood's celebrations are ones not to miss. Rarely anyone rests 'til the Dawn has risen and the Moon rests in Her passage in the sky. It is something that I miss. I will soon see it again, I hope." He smiled at Aragorn, who wouldn't meet the Elf's eyes. He couldn't, not with the knowledge of what he would have to do.

~

In between kisses, Legolas tried to explain something. "Aragorn... Love... Please...! I need to..." his own moans of pleasure interrupted him. Legolas quickly pulled away from his lover's warm mouth. "Aragorn, please... I must tell you something." Emerald eyes shone with love. "Aragorn... I love you with all my being. I could not, in my right mind or in my heart, live an immortal live without you. If you would have me, I choose mortality."

Aragorn backed away from Legolas. "You can offer me no such thing, Greenleaf. I would not have you." With those devastating words, Aragorn walked away from the Elf, who stood in shock and pain. Aragorn did not look back. If he had, he would have run to Legolas' side to comfort him. This is for the best, the Ranger and King told himself. I have already taken away one's immortality, I cannot take away another's... And I cannot take Legolas'...

Legolas collapsed to the ground with a moan as Aragorn mounted his horse and rode on his way to find Arwen. For hours he lay in a boneless heap on the mass. Elrond, upon hearing that Arwen would marry Aragorn, sought out the Elven prince. Finding his old lover sprawled upon the soft moss, he ran the rest of the way to Legolas' side. The young Elf was wracked by dry sobs. Elrond held his friend and his love. In his arms, Legolas curled in on himself. No tears left Legolas' beautiful eyes; he had never cried since his youngest sister, Morīgrain, had been murdered and raped by Orcs.

"Sh. 'Tis all right, my love. Elesser knows not upon what he refuses. He does not know what gentle heart he possessed." Legolas stayed in Elrond's arms for the nest three hours. His dry sobs had stopped a while ago, but he hadn't wanted to move. Elrond's arms were so warms and comforting. After awhile, Legolas fell asleep in Elrond's arms. Brushing back stray strands of Legolas' pale blonde hair, Elrond picked his love up. He carried Legolas into his chambers and laid the prince down on his bed. Elrond leaned over and kissed Legolas' forehead.

"Sleep well, Prince of my heart."

~

Haldir of Lorien rode into Rivendell three weeks before Arwen's marriage to Aragorn was scheduled to take place. He was out of breath and his mount needed a good rest. Elrond's letter concerning Legolas had greatly disturbed one of the best archers of Lorien.

A young Elf appeared at his elbow. "Show my things to my rooms," Haldir ordered. "Prepare rooms for Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn. They should be arriving shortly for their granddaughter's wedding." The Elf hurried away and gave orders for such things.

Another took his cloak. "Lord Elrond has asked for you to see him in his study," the Elf told Haldir.

"Take me there," Haldir ordered sharply. As he was shown in, he knelt before Elrond. The moment the other Elf had left the two of them alone, Elrond and Haldir shared a quick kiss. "What is this news about Legolas being ill?" Haldir asked, worry in his eyes and voice.

"He has a fever, and cannot heal himself. He drifts between the physical world and the shadow world. I do not understand how this could be. If anything, I am beginning to believe that old saying. 'Those who love mortal men, die like mortal men.' I only hope it is not so with Legolas," Elrond said.

Haldir winced. "That is an old folklore."

"Come and see for yourself," Elrond said tiredly. "I can think of nothing else that causes such things. It is as if he is turning mortal."

"Tis a myth, Elrond. A myth that scares young Elves from not loving a mortal!"

Elrond stayed quiet. "See for yourself," he murmured sadly, gesturing to the pale Elf lying in Elrond's bed, stripped to his slender hips. Somewhere along the line, Legolas had kicked off the blankets and had begun tossing and turning. Haldir knelt next to the beautiful Prince of Mirkwood.

Legolas' blonde hair, his pride, had lost its luster; it was dull and laden with sweat. His body was thin enough for you to count all of his bones. His hips jutted out, the shallow curves of his bones filled with shadows. The fever wracked his body; his body was burning with the fever that had rooted itself deep within his body. Haldir looked at his sweet prince, eyes wide in shock.

"We must do something, Elrond!" Haldir cried out.

"I can do nothing!" Elrond said tightly. "Many Elves have begun to wonder where the Prince is. Arwen wants to talk to him with a soul driven out of knowledge. She knows that Aragorn and Legolas had been lovers on their journey to Mordor. She wants to make sure that there are no hard feelings."

"There aren't, are there?"

"Not that Legolas has told me."

"We have to figure out what's wrong with him. And then we have to heal him," Haldir said decisively.

"He's turning mortal! I don't even know if there's a cure! If there is, then it has been lost to Elven knowledge!" Elrond snapped out. He recited the myth of Elves who love Man who turn to Man.

"First the fever which burns bright,
Then the soul which turns dark,
The joy in eyes no longer alight,
The show of Mortality leaves it's Mark.

"Emaciated body and soul is next,
The fever ever climbs,
Ever vexed,
The body of the Elf will not sustain this lifetime.

"Mortality becomes a hex
As the body becomes ever more vexed,
Stealing the light of the Heart and Soul
Never to once again console.

"Love with a mortal can never be,
The Lord and Lady forbid it to be,
In light of those of the Elder Races,
And those of the darkness.

"Elves live to guide,
Mortals live to die,
Men cannot guide,
But Elves can die.

"Mortal Men true deceivers,
Take the Light of those above,
Make of martyrs
Of those once loved.

"Love becomes the Hex,
As the body rejects the Light,
The soul injects
Death and Mortality into Twilight."

"Ai..." Haldir said, holding Legolas' thin hand that was also burning with fever. "How can we ever hope to keep him here with us? His heart had been given to a mortal, but that mortal has refused him! Arwen gave her heart to a mortal and was accepted. Is that why she is fine and Legolas is not?"

"I believe so."

"We may not cure one, without destroying the other..." Haldir moaned. "How can we choose?"

"We cannot."

Haldir sighed. "If Legolas dies, we will not only be losing our love and our hearts, but we will have Mirkwood's sword and arrows pointed at Rivendell and at Lorien! Legolas is his father's favorite, which does not bode well for us, Elrond. How can we save him?"

"We shall wait for Galadriel."

~

Summoned to Elrond's chambers, Galadriel smiled at the two Elves who greeted her. They explained the problem to her, and she watched Legolas' fitful sleep. She took the young prince's hand in her's. "Go," she told Elrond and Haldir. "See to Arwen and Aragorn. I will see to Legolas."

The two nodded and left. With her powers, Galadriel called to Legolas' mind, heart, and soul. Deep within his mind, his light was circled in darkness - grief. The Fair Folk were not meant to carry such burdens on their souls and hearts. The pain of losing someone so dear would destroy an Elf. Grief, sadness... Even in little doses they were fatal to Elves. Galadriel smiled and slowly pulled back the darkness. She saw Legolas' spirit-form - a blindingly pure light radiating love and warmth. Green edged the goldenness of his light - his power.

Still, he shied away from her gentle commands. He was too hurt to live, he thought. His heart ached in pain, his Light lessening with every hour. Galadriel knew he would last no longer than another week, at the most. They could lose Greenleaf at any moment, and a war would be upon them all. Thranduil loved his youngest son enough to destroy his own kind.

Gathering memories of his family, she showed him the love of his siblings. She showed him his mother, memories long buried away; she showed him Morīgrain, whose love for him had protected him from dying when he had only been three hundred. She showed him the antics of the Hobbits upon their journey to Mordor, and showed him the bond of friendship he and the dwarf, Gimli, had created. With a softer touch, she showed him Haldir and Elrond. Showed him their worries and their love for him.

With cries of sorrow at almost leaving them, he threw himself into Galadriel's spiritual arms. With soothing sounds, she calmed the young prince's gentle spirit. Knowing that he would be safe, she released him gently.

"Legolas... Prince of Mirkwood... You must return to yourself. Love awaits you in the arms of your friends. Go back to them... Though a love has left you, there are others there, waiting to take his place..."

The radiant golden-green light shimmered slightly and vanished. She let go of the Prince's hand and stood. A servant was standing in the doorway. "Fetch me Glorifindel. The Prince of Mirkwood has only a slight fever. He needs herb infusions to strengthen his body." The servant quickly left. Upon Glorifindel's arrival, Galadriel left for the banquet that was being held as a welcome.

~

"Is he well?" Haldir murmured to his Lady when she sat next to her Lord.

"Well, indeed. He merely could only see pain. He could see naught of the love of his friends, or family, or even his lovers. He could only see the hurt and pain caused by one who could not stay with him."

Haldir nodded and returned to watching Aragorn and Arwen. The two were smiling and they joked with others. The dwarf, Gimli, was drinking and merrily talking with some Elven Lords. The Hobbits sat together with Bilbo and ate heartily. Frodo was recounting events to his Uncle, for Bilbo wanted to write a sequel to his own story.

Soon enough, the doors opened once again, and Legolas swept in with the grace of a Prince of Mirkwood. Silence fell as they watched the most beautiful of Elves walk into the room. He was dressed in black silk leggings and black boots. His shirt was white marked with black oriental designs. His clothes hung on his limp frame, the black making him seem thinner and paler. His hair almost glowed, floating like pure gold behind him. Small braids were worked into his hair; adding to the shimmer were small glass beads.

He walked over and sat next to Haldir and Elrond, across from his father and brother. His brother, Imberod, was the Heir to Mirkwood, even if he preferred to fight. In some ways, many of the Elves of the North expected Legolas to assume the throne when the time came. The banquet resumed and talk began again, but Aragorn's eyes were now watching Legolas' every movement. Since Aragorn was sitting next to his foster father, Elrond, it was easy to hear what Haldir was saying to the young Prince.

"Be thee well, nin-meleth?" Haldir murmured, watching as Legolas shakily raised his wine glass to his lips. Aragorn was shocked to hear someone else call Legolas "love."

Elrond looked at Legolas as well. "Don't over do it. You are still weak."

"I know," Legolas murmured in his quiet voice. "Not even a strong healing from Galadriel works so fast to take away all effects. I shall be feeling weak for many months."

"Are you to be coming back with us to Mirkwood, brother?" Imberod asked. It was obvious to all who heard that there were undertones of begging.

Legolas smiled and took another sip of his wine. "I am not sure... I might, and I might not. I have much to learn, still. Especially if you think you can go running off and leave me with the position of King."

"I want to go West!" Imberod said excitedly. "I hear there is ever so much excitement there! The trees, the beauty... I want to go there... It'd be interesting if there were any monsters like Orcs there."

"Don't even think of that!" Thranduil snapped at his eldest son. "We are in need of peace. No more of this war. We have had many millennia of fighting. For once, I hope we have a chance to breathe."

"Hear, hear!" several Elves cried out, raising their glasses. A few of the younger Elves pouted and drank their wine. For many hours there was talk and drink. Aragorn watched Legolas and talked with various Elves who he had come to call friends over the many years.

"Brother, what's wrong?" Imberod asked, watching as Legolas' thin white hand shook to the point where a bit of wine sloshed out onto the napkin.

"Tis nothing; a mere reaction from too little sleep and food. I fear the Journey we made to destroy the One Ring is finally catching up with me," Legolas said, forcing a smile and a laugh. "In fact, I take my leave of your lovely company. I am weak and tired... Upon the morrow I will see thee." Legolas stood up and left, before anyone could respond. Aragorn saw Haldir and Elrond exchange glances of worry and pain.

That was when Aragorn realized - Legolas had been Haldir and Elrond's lover. Legolas had left them, his perfect loves, for a mere mortal. There was a phrase most common amongst Elves - sex is marriage. Legolas had been claimed centuries ago by those who loved him enough to let him go to explore a new love.

If anything - it made Aragorn feel worse.

~

Legolas moaned as Haldir slowly helped him out of his clothes. Hands drifted slowly and seductively over skin causing the younger Elf to moan loudly. "You are a tease, lover!" Legolas gasped out, hands closing around Haldir's wrists. Haldir smiled, trailing kisses down Legolas' chest, despite the restriction of his hands.

"Oh, nin-meleth... I love thee so much..." Haldir told Legolas as he kissed the blonde Elf with enough passion to take away Legolas' breath. "Never leave Elrond, or me, I beg of you."

Legolas didn't speak. He released Haldir's wrists and reached over to his lover. He helped the other blonde out of his clothes, and pulled him close to his chest. "Nin-garn... Nin-meleth... Nin-cuil..." Legolas whispered softly. He kissed the Lothlorien archer and clung to him as they fell onto the bed. As they kissed, Legolas silently urged the other blonde to take him.

Slowly, Haldir took the sweet prince of Mirkwood. Moving slowly within Legolas' tight embrace, Haldir kissed his sweet love. Pleasure building between then, Legolas squirmed beneath Haldir, seeking release. He sang softly, while his hands stroked Haldir and kissed him passionately.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel,
silvren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!" [*]

The song of devotion and love brought tears to Haldir's eyes as he softly kissed Legolas' eyelids. With a moan of ecstasy, the blonde Elves fell to the erotic beckoning of love. Their voices were raised in praise - to each other, to the Gods, and to the stars.

~

The night of Aragorn and Arwen's wedding, Legolas stayed outside, brooding. A flute lay in his pale hands. The flute was perfectly crafted silver. Engraved, around the holes of the flute, willow leaves and vines twirled around. The flute had once belonged to his sister, Morīgrain, and he had taken it when she had died. Raising it to his lips he played a soft melody of rejection. He could hear the joy of the Fellowship and of Arwen's family. Though Legolas had been invited, he had stayed away. Haldir and Elrond went to the Wedding. Elrond having to go, as he was Arwen's father, Haldir going as Aragorn had invited him.

Could nothing in this world ever ease the sorrows of his heart? Would he forever be trapped in the ideals of others and the pain of choices made for the ideal of righteousness? Legolas felt pain. Always pain. How could he ever be expected to live if everything always turned away from him? Abandoning him? First his mother, then his sister. And then Aragorn. He let the flute drop from his lips back into his lap. His heart was a wretched storm of hurt and anger.

He forced himself to think of Haldir and Elrond. Always so tender with him. Always seeking to please him. They cuddled him, love him. They gave him the passion and love that he craved. The three of them seemed to be kindred spirits. Haldir and Elrond were both so noble and stiff around everyone else. Around Legolas, they shed their faįades and were their true spirits.

"Legolas? Brother!" Imberod called.

Legolas jumped down from the tree he was in. His hair streamed behind him like a golden cloak. As he landed in front of his brother, he smiled. "And to what do I owe my eldest brother seeking me for?"

"I am going West," Imberod said stubbornly. "Father may try and control me, but I'm going West. I've already told him that I abdicated in favor of you."

Legolas stared in horror at his brother. "But. But Father is going West within the month! You can't leave!"

Imberod sighed. "Legolas. You knew this was expected to happen. It just happened sooner than later. Father is instructing Lord Elrond to teach you to rule Mirkwood." He embraced his brother. "I'm leaving now, Legolas. Take care of yourself, you hear? You're the last one who could possibly unite all the Elves left in Middle-Earth. It's your choice to take up the battle cry or not. Maybe years later will decide for you." He kissed his brother on the mouth and left.

Legolas stood there in horror, shame, and sadness. Haldir embraced him from behind. "I wouldn't worry about it. I'm staying. Elrond is staying. Nin-meleth. So much has happened to you, yet you still smile and bear it. I love you for that. Come. The wedding celebration is over and Elrond has a gift for you."

~

The years passed and Legolas was becoming well learned in the ways of ruling. With Elrond's instructions, Legolas did become the King of Mirkwood. Many of the Elves that had stayed in Middle-Earth while the rest went West knew it was only a matter of Time before Legolas would be as great a King as Gil-galad.

Those who left Middle-Earth passed on all they knew to those who stayed. Galadriel gave to Haldir the title of the Lord of the golden Wood and the Elven ring, Nenya. Gandalf, upon a foresight, had given Narya to Legolas before the Fellowship had once again broken. Elrond still kept the ring Vilya, for he sensed a time would come when the Elves would need them once again.

Shortly, within a mere year, Haldir, Elrond, and Legolas bound themselves to the other. They bound themselves in the way of love, in the way of leadership, and in the way they knew a time would come when all of hell would break lose once more. Upon each hand three rings were to be found. The Three of the Elven-Kings and two bands of silver of marriage.

It was upon the forth year of the Rule of Aragorn, that Arwen had her first child. A boy, named Boromir, named for the sake of the first of the Fellowship to fall. And it was upon that happy news that the Fellowship reunited in Rivendell, now the capital city for the Elves left in Middle-Earth.

~

The remaining Fellowship watching in shock and horror. Elven blood flowed from large gashes on Legolas' arms, parallel to his veins. Legolas was sprawled across Elrond's bloodstained lap as the Elven lord focused directly upon healing the pain-wracked beauty in his arms.

When Legolas had heard Aragorn was coming, he had panicked and lost control. As the day the Fellowship would come once again to Rivendell, Legolas had slipped into a dark depression, weeping silently alone. When the day came, Legolas had disappeared. Elrond had greeted the Fellowship, his mind running through places where the King could be found.

Not long after, Haldir had come running in, blood on his hands. "Legolas." he panted. "Grove. Blood. Needs help!"

Elrond had taken off at a run while Arwen had told Haldir to catch his breath. When he had, the Fellowship joined Elrond at the Grove, shocked to see an Elvish dagger dipped in blood and Legolas' pale body, his silverfish blood pouring out through the gashes. They watched as Elrond cursed darkly in Elvish. He cut his palm and pressed his blood to Legolas' open wounds.

"He. He's not breathing." Frodo whispered. For it was true, Legolas' chest had stopped moving up and down. His blood had begun to move sluggishly.

"He will survive," Elrond snapped as he pushed life throughout Legolas' quickly cooling body. He has to survive, Elrond thought desperately. We need him. How can we hope to defeat this cloud of darkness that we sense without him? We. I need him.

After a few minutes time, Elrond sighed and slumped back. Legolas was once again breathing. "Haldir," he called. The other blonde Elf had been hiding in the tree behind them now jumped down and walked over to his lovers. "Take Legolas to his chambers. Get two more healers on him. He's still weak."

Haldir nodded and picked up the king of Mirkwood. He walked off, cradling his King as if he were made of glass. With a sharp order barked out, two Elves came to his side.

"What. What happened to Legolas?" Sam asked. The other Hobbits echoed the question while Gimli demanded answers. Only Gandalf and Aragorn remained silent. Arwen tended to her father, already knowing.

Elrond stood, heedless of his bloody robes. "Long has his heart been hurting, these past years. While Haldir and myself try to heal him, he does not let us into the part of his heart that has been so hurt."

"Who hurt him so?" Pippin asked, unusually somber.

"He will not say. He speaks rarely now," Haldir said, returning to them.

"Is he well?" Arwen asked.

"He shall live, if that is your question. Well. I do not know if he will ever truly be well. The grief and sadness eat away at him, Lady Arwen. I hope that he will soon release it."

Aragorn frowned. If this was all caused by his very presence, then he would leave. He could not bear to hurt someone as beautiful and as kind as Legolas. Never could he or would he wish for harm to come to the beautiful King of the Elves. He needed to heal this rift between them, or else more than just Legolas' blood would be shed.

~

"Legolas?" Haldir asked softly, brushing a few strands of hair back from the pale white forehead. The king of Mirkwood did not stir. He sat on the bed, leant over and kissed Legolas' forehead. Haldir knew that there were four pairs of Hobbits eyes and one pair of Dwarf eyes watching him. "Nin-meleth? Echui, onna-i."

No movement. The only evidence that Legolas was still alive was the slight moving of his chest and the air from his slightly parted lips. Oh, how this wasn't fair! Haldir picked up one of Legolas' heavily bandaged wrists and chafed it gently. His hand was like ice, the blood barely moving. The cold bothered the Lord of Lothlorien, especially within one he loved so deeply.

"Come out, little ones," Haldir said, not taking his eyes from Legolas'. "You cannot do harm. He is merely asleep." Oh, if only it was so simple as a sleep!

"Will he be all right?" Pippin asked, coming over to look at Legolas. The rest of the Hobbits crowded around Haldir's knees. Gimli sat on the bed next to Haldir.

"He should be fine, as soon as he wakes," Haldir replied, trying to warm Legolas' hand with his own. Taking his mind away from the pale face of his lover, he looked at the half-lings. He smiled, "Come. Let us go to the Banquet Hall. I am sure that we can fix up a feast for the breaking of our fast."

The Hobbits looked at him with suspicion, but shrugged and followed him. Gimli followed as well, grumbling, after he looked at Legolas' pale face. Why had it come to this? he wondered. It could have been stopped a long time ago, if Aragorn and Legolas both weren't so stubborn!

Once outside, he shut the door softly. "Wake up, love. Wake up," he murmured. He smiled at Pippin's antics with Merry as they went down to the Hall. He sensed someone in the shadows and knew it to be Elesser. There was nothing the King of Gondor could do to Legolas, not while the Elf was in a comatose state of shock and sleep.

~

Aragorn held his breath until Haldir was passed, and a far way down the hall before he emerged from the safety of his shadows. He was positive that it was his presence that caused Legolas such pain and despair, and it was like having his heart wrenched out and handed back to him on a platter seeing him like this. He had to do something.

He entered the room as quietly as only a Ranger could, almost no noise, excepting the almost inaudible click of the door closing to give him away. Legolas looked pale, waxen, and dead in the candlelight. If not for the fact that his chest was raising and falling, however shallowly, that was exactly what Aragorn would have assumed. He approached the bed carefully, and lowered himself onto his knees at the side of it, ignoring the chair placed next to the bed. He took Legolas' icy hand in his own, and began to softly sing Legolas' favorite song.

"The forest sings in joy,
It dances to the wind,
A new life is here - the boy
Of Gil-galad!

"Upon the end of the Last Alliance,
Came Thranduil and his archers many,
Upon a glowing light, dancing
In their eyes a bundle lay.

"Glowing green, glowing Bright,
The light faded, and to their sight,
A small child lay,
A child of the day of May.

"A child of Light,
A child of hope and of love,
'Soon to be an archer of Might!
My child I claim this to be!'

"And so to Mirkwood the rode,
Archers many, King proud -
For in his arms lay,
The Child of the May."

When Aragorn was done singing the song, he sighed. It seemed no effect was upon Legolas. The color in his cheeks was still pale, his hand was still as cold as the ice on the Caradhras.

"Come on. Please, wake up, love," he whispered, using a phrase that he had not used with anyone but Arwen in four years. Legolas' eyelids fluttered a little, and his face did look more lifelike. Aragorn took a chance. This was as close to Legolas as he could get without something terrible happening. He had to say what he had come here to say, and there was no way he would back out.

"Legolas. Please awaken." Aragorn knew that a hint of begging had crept into his voice. The moment he saw Legolas' beautiful green eyes appear unclouded, he smiled and thanked every god that was listening.

~

"Should we leave them together?" Haldir asked, watching as Legolas blinked sleepily at Aragorn. "It might do more harm than good, meleth."

Elrond sighed, wrapping his arms around Haldir. "Aragorn may be able to heal what we could not. After all, it was Aragorn that created the wound."

"Perhaps." Haldir sighed, kissing Elrond thoroughly.

~

Legolas looked away from Aragorn, memories long buried now arising. The pain was felt as raw and as excruciating as if he had just ripped off the scar to a very painful, and not quite healed, wound.

"Legolas, I do not want to fight," Aragorn said automatically, holding his hands out in a symbol of peace. "I just want to talk."

"Talk is dangerous, no?"

Aragorn sighed, letting his hands drop. "I'm sorry, love."

"I'm not your love!" Legolas cried out. "You left!"

"I hadn't a choice!" Aragorn cried out. "I loved you, Legolas. I still do. I took Arwen's immortality. I could not bare to take yours, the one who held my heart and my soul."

"It was mine to give!" Legolas told him, eyes glassing over, even if no tears dropped from the beautiful features. "I offered you everything, Aragorn. If you knew what you do now, would you still have loved me?"

Aragorn took a pale hand and kissed it. "If I knew it would cause you such pain, no. But for the simple joy we shared, yes." He paused. "If it was possible to love you from not afar and not harm you, I would make all the same choices."

Legolas leveled Aragorn with a strict look. "A straight answer, son of Arathorn." He pulled his hand away.

Aragorn nodded. "I would take the joy with the pain."

Legolas eyed him, not entirely trusting Aragorn's confession. "Arwen?" he queried.

"My wife and my queen."

"And what am I?" Legolas asked, almost afraid of the answer.

"My trusted friend. Once my lover for whom I would still give my life to save," Aragorn answered truthfully.

Legolas nodded. "Certain events may come to test that statement, my friend. I see great darkness in our future."

"Whatever it is, I will stand by you, as I am sure the Fellowship will as well," Aragorn stated. Legolas gave Aragorn a smile that was pure as anyone had seen upon his face in four years.


| Part II |
| Index |