When The Trees Sang: Part IV
by Nicole
-----




They gathered in the small circle soon after Elrond called for an urgent Council meeting. The Hobbits climbed into the chairs too tall for them beside Gimli, while Legolas took his place beside Garania and Elrond. He looked at his friends with a sense of betrayal, as if he himself were the kin to the evil king. Elrond stood and addressed them.

"My friends, I have summoned you here tonight on a very important matter. One that I believe I will allow Legolas and Garania to inform you of." With that he motioned for them to stand and explain the situation. Garania rose, and walked toward the center of them. She stood fixed, as if any fear that had been threatening to course through her had been melted away when she left the chair.

"I, as well as Legolas and Elrond, thought that it would be best to inform you of something that could ultimately mean the survival of Middle Earth as we know it. Before I begin, allow me to make very clear that Legolas knew none of this before this very night, only moments ago. Please do not harbor ill feelings against him for my decisions." When she saw the Fellowship nod, together, she began to walk slowly around the circle, continuing. "I am not who you think I am. I have never been. I am not the innocent, pure, gentle Elf that you all believe, and have believed me to be for so long. There is much about me that you do not yet know. I am the daugher of the Witch King, ruler of all that is evil, and devoted servant to Sauron." She watched as the groups eyes widened, in both fear, and shock. She caught a glimpse of Legolas from the corner of her eye, and noticed that he refused to make eye contact with any of the rest of them. She started to continue, but was quickly cut off by a quick tempered dwarf.

"Traitor she is! We should have thrown her into the fires of Mordor along with the ring which rules her father's land! I say she is a liar, working for her father to detroy Middle Earth! She wishes nothing more than to see the good in Middle Earth demolished, just as her father does!" growled Gimli, jumping from his seat and raising his axe high in the air.

Legolas bolted from his seat, his face alive with anger.

"I suggest you watch the words that come from your mouth you half- witted dwarf! Never again shall I hear you speak to my wife in the way that you have just done! Take back your words and apologize, or you shall have a much greater force to deal with than Sauron!"

The dwarf looked at him in shock. Never before had he seen the Elf so aroused with temper. He backed himself towards his seat, and sat back down, looking at Garania apolegetically.

"My lady, I am sorry. I fear my mouth sometimes think more quickly than my head does, and so I beg you to accept my apology." She looked at him, her eyes gentle, not in the least angry.

"My good dwarf, you have my forgiveness. I can understand your feelings. They are only natural, especially considering the dangers you have just been through. Do not concern yourself that you have offended me, for you have not."

The dwarf nodded gratefully, and Legolas sat back down, after an encouraging look from Garania. She looked back towards the Fellowship and continued on.

"Do not think me a traitor to Middle Earth, or that I side with my father, for I do not. I wish no more for him to be removed from power than you do, but I also understand the dangers that can be involved in doing so. My father is very powerful, and is a great force to reckon with. Many armies have tried to bring him down, and many have failed."

She spoked the words with a harshful truth to her voice. They knew she spoke right. Many opposing forces had invaded his kingdom, hoping to destroy him, but had only succeeded in leading themselves into a losing battle.

"I wish you only to know that I am with you, whatever journeys this may lead you on. You have my vow with you."

They nodded and smiled at her, knowing that she would not decieve them. With this, Elrond stood up, and walked over to where Garania was.

"What she means by this declaration, my friends, is that we will surely not escape this threat without a war."

They looked at each other, the harsh truth sinking in. From battle they had just come, and to battle they would soon go again. The hobbits looked down at their large feet, missing their home more and more every minute. Garania saw this look in their eyes and spoke to them, silently.

"My little friends, fear not. No one can force you to return to the battles that you have just come from. Only you can make that decision. However, know that down whichever road your decision may lead you, I am here to guide you, and to protect you whenever you may be in the need."

They looked up at her and smiled. The beautiful Elf that stood before them could certainly not be the daughter of the Witch King, for he was an evil, hideous character, and she was the portrait of magnificence and beauty. As if reading their minds, or perhaps sharing the same thought, Gimli spoke.

"My lady, if this you speak of is true, that you are indeed the daughter of the Witch King, then how is it that you possess so much beauty, both inside and out? The king is an ugly being, with the looks and the manners of an orc. How is it that you came to be the way you are, an Elf?"

She smiled at this, and looked towards the dwarf.

"Very simply, he is an Elf as well, as was my mother."

They looked around in shock, even Legolas, who, at this point, did not believe that anything else could suprise him. He looked at Garania with a confused statement.

"An Elf? But how can that be? It is told that he has never been seen, only legend tells of his appearance."

"You forget Legolas, I am his daughter. I can defy the legends with more force than you know. Believe me when I tell you that he is an Elf, as much so as you and I. While he is much different from most of the rest of us, he is an Elf."

Elrond took this opportunity to speak.

"My friends, go, rest, for tommorrow you shall learn the plans of this mission of war against the king. We will need you at full strength for this battle." With his hands, he ushered them off to the palace, and to bed to gain some of the rest that they needed so much. He turned to Legolas, who was now standing beside Garania.

"You too, I will need you at full strength as well." He looked at Garania with a playful smile. "Or at least with most of your strength."

With this, he bid them good night, and made his way back towards the castle, to get some rest himself. Garania turned towards Legolas, who was now bathed in moonlight, and surrounded with an iridescent glow that outlined his entire body.

"Legolas, my love, please forgive me for my deceptions. I only wished to protect you from what I knew would eventually be the inevitable. I only hope that you can accept my apology, and not bear anger towards me for my revelations tonight."

He looked deep into her green eyes, searching for an answer to the question that had been plaguing him since she had informed him of her mysterious past. After several moments of searching, he was left with no answer. This frightened him, but he refused to let it show to Garania. He forced a smile onto his face, which soon melted into one of love, and took her hand, bringing it up to his lips, before releasing it, and wrapping her into his arms in a kiss filled with passion.

| Part V |
| Index |