When The Trees Sang: Part XV
by Nicole
-----


Their arrival had triggered an outpouring of sympathy from the people of Mirkwood. Garania could see that Legolas wanted nothing more than to run to their room and hide, to get away from the eyes of his advisors, and servants. She took the opportunity to rescue him from their torment when she saw Gandalf making his way up the path to the castle.

"Gandalf! Come, sit, speak with us, please." She jumped from her spot at the table beside Legolas. She walked over to where Gandalf stood approaching, and took his arm, leading them to where they sat. Legolas cast them both a grateful look when they sat. She took her place beside Legolas and smiled at Gandalf.

"When did you arrive? I thought you were going to remain in Lothlorien, to have council with my grandmother."

He nodded, and looked warily around the table at the advisors. Garania saw his gaze wandering, and quickly dismissed them from the room.

"You may go now, we wish to speak with Gandalf in private."

They stood, and bowed to them, before quickly retreating from the room, mumbling amongst themselves. She turned her attention back to Gandalf.

"Please, I apologize for the advisors. They seem to have been surrounding us from the moment we returned to Mirkwood. Now, what brings you here? Did you decide against staying?"

He shook his head, raising his pipe to his mouth.

"No, I thought it best that I be present at the coronation. After all, I do consider you both very dear friends, and I felt that this was an important matter that I must attend."

Legolas smiled at the Wizard.

"Gandalf, I feel a great deal better just knowing that you are here. I am very happy that you decided to come."

Just then, Aragorn walked into the room.

"Legolas, Garania, more visitors have arrived."

He wore a smile, and they all knew which visitors these were. Garania lept from the table, and practically ran into the main hall, something very out of her character. To confirm her suspicions stood Arwen, and Elrond, each wearing a smile across their face. She ran to them, her arms outstretched wide.

"It is good to see you! Did you arrive just now?"

Elrond nodded, standing back to look at her.

"Child, it is good to see your face. So many times in the past weeks have I feared that I would never again do so. You grow more beautiful everyday. The light in your eyes brings me more joy than you know."

She smiled at him, pulling him again into an embrace.

"I have missed you as well. Often times my mind has wondered to you over the past weeks." She pulled away and turned to Arwen.

"Arwen, my sister, how have you been?"

The Elf before her smiled, and wrapped her arms around her tightly.

"Garania, you had me nearly sick with worry. If you ever possess the notion to fight an evil king you shall take me with you, do you understand?"

She laughed and smiled at her.

"If this is what you wish, than you shall have it. How was your journey here? I assume you have seen Aragorn. He wore a smile wide enough to span his face when he came to inform us of your arrival."

Arwen smiled.

"Yes, I have seen him. Our journey was not too long, thankfully. It was quite nice actually, hardly an orc was to be seen."

Garania smiled, and Legolas approached behind her, followed by Gandalf and Aragorn. He stretched his hand out to Elrond.

"My lord, it is good to see you. I am glad that you could be here for the coronation."

He nodded.

"Yes, as am I. I hope you are not becoming too nervous, at the approaching day tommorrow."

Legolas shook his head, a terrible liar as always.

"No, no, I am actually quite calm about it. I have hardly any nervousness about it at all."

Elrond smiled, seeing plainly through his words.

"Well, I suppose you all would like to rest after your long journey. I will have one of the servants show you to your room." Garania called for a servant, and a small girl with long brown hair approached them. "Carlea, show them to their rooms, and make sure that they are comfortable. If they require anything, come and find me."

The girl nodded, and bowed to her, and then looked at the guests, motioning them to follow her.

When they had gone, Garania stood alone with Legolas in the hall. She turned to him and smiled.

"Shall we get some rest too. Tommorrow will approach fast, and the day will be upon us. Come, let us rest. We will need our strength for tommorrow."

She took Legolas' hand, and gently led him off to their room through the palace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hall was filled with people. Visiting guests, friends and distant family, royal advisors, and servants and the likes. Garania watched from the large doors of the entrance as the room slowly filled up with guests. She spotted Elrond taking his place beside Aragorn and Arwen, and Gandalf seated close beside them. Her nerves were calm, and she intended to keep them that way, as Legolas was in need of her assistance. He was pacing behind her, his eyes facing the ground, and his hands clasped tightly behind his back as he walked. She held back her smile as she watched him walk back and forth across the tiny room.

"Legolas, must you do that? It is not going to help anything. It will only succeed in making you so dizzy that you cannot walk straight to make your way to the front of the hall."

He stopped and looked up at her, his eyes showing his nervousness.

"I'm sorry. I'm just nervous about the coronation, I suppose. I guess your right. But this is really the only thing that helps me take my mind off of it."

She smiled at him, starting to walk over towards him, but just as she did, the sound of trumpets sounded from the hall. She jumped, as she always hated the sound of these instruments. Legolas' eyes went wide, and she thought he was surely going to run out of the palace. The doors to the hall opened, and he was left with no where to go, but up the long, red carpet that led to the front of the hall. He took Garania's arm, and pushed his coronation robe over his shoulders. He was dressed in a blue tunic, with a golden robe flowing lightly behind him, and just barely dragging the ground. His hair was combed back in its usual fashion, with the two braids on either side of his face. His hands shook slightly as his left one rested atop Garania's hand, which was perched lightly upon his arm. She was wearing a long, flowing gown, colored the shade of green to match her eyes. It went far out behind her in a long train. The bodice fit tightly, and came to a point below her waist, where it flowed out around her legs and brushed against the ground when she walked. The sleeves were long, but cut out at the shoulders, where only a small strip of fabric connected them to the rest of th gown, leaving her shoulders free and open. Around her neck was the diamond given to her by Elrond, and her hair was pulled up in a large bunch atop her head, with too many braids to count. It glittered in the sunlight pouring in through the large windows, with the many crystals that had been placed throughout it, casting a glow around her face, and making her eyes shine. They walked slowly up the carpet, Legolas' heart beating wildly. When they reached the front, where the advisors and royal party stood, they kneeled before them, still holding onto one another. Many words were said, most of which went unnoticed by the both of them, until the ones came that signaled the placing of the crowns atop their heads. They began with Legolas.

"And now, to crown the new king of Mirkwood." The tall Elf before them removed silver crown from the pillow that it rested upon. "I hereby crown you, Prince Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood, son of the former King Thranduil, king and ruler of the kingdom of Mirkwoodm ordained by the Valar, and crowned now today." He placed the crown atop Legolas' head, and moved onto Garania. She stiffened slightly as he moved to stand before her. "And now, to crown our queen." He picked up the second crown, a smaller one, and held it in his hands before her. "I hereby crown you, Princess Garania of Lothlorien, granddaughter of Galadriel & Celeborn of Lothlorien, queen of Mirkwood." He placed the crown atop her head, and stepped back, allowing them to stand before the people. The room erupted in applause, as Garania and Legolas made their way back down the carpet, to begin the festivities that were awaiting them for the rest of the day.

| Part XVI |
| Index |