When The Trees Sang: Part XVI
by Nicole
-----


The days to follow went by slowly, some more than others. Garania had noticed a change in Legolas, one which she had expected to come, but not so soon. He spent most of his time locked up with his advisors, and when he was not there, he was out alone, hunting. She understood this, however, as her time was spent in much the same way. She woke one morning to find the sun shining brightly through the open room. Turning her head to the side, she noticed that Legolas was no longer there, something which had become normal to her. She yawned, and swung her legs out of bed. After dressing, she made her way to Legolas' study, which was located on the first level of the palace. She saw that the door was slightly open, so she quietly looked inside, careful not to disturb the discussion that was taking place. A wave of concern swept over her when she saw Legolas, seated at his desk, looking as if he were about to collapse. His eyes were tired, and he could scarcly keep his head from touching the table. She backed away from the door, and walked down the long corridor to the kitchen. On her way, she passed one of Legolas' advisors, who had awoken late, and was running hurridly to the study. She stopped him in mid-sprint.

"Sarandal, wait, please, I need you to help me with something."

He turned, looking back at his queen.

"Your Highness, anything you require, you shall have. What do you need?"

She walked closer to him, so as to keep her voice low.

"I need you to inform me of Legolas' schedule for the day."

He looked at her quizzically.

"But why, my lady?"

She shook her head, waving the question off.

"It is no concern of yours, just tell me what his plans are."

The Elf shrugged slightly, and opened up the book that he was carrying. He pulled out a long sheet of paper, and began to read it off.

"7 a.m. - Meeting with royal advisors, 1 p.m. - Hunting...." He paused. "There's really nothing after that. I should think that the hunting will last for much of the rest of the day, though. Will you need anything else?"

She shook her head, and thanked him quickly, before heading back towards the kitchen.

Sarandal watched her go, and then ran as fast as he could down the hallway, only to arrive late to the meeting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garania waited for the day to pass, spending most of the time by herself, in her own study. Finally, much to her relief, 1 p.m. arrived, and she crept quietly out of her study and down the hallway through the palace. She waited behind a corner, and watched as Legolas emerged from the study, followed by his advisors. He looked even more exhausted than he had earlier. When the advisors had set off down the hallway, she watched him walk towards the main hall, towards the stables. She followed him every step of the way, her movements so light that even an Elf with hearing such as his could not hear her approaching. She waited outside the stables while he readied his horse, and mounted it, riding off quickly into the forest. When he had disappeared into the trees, she went into the stables and retrieved her own horse, mounted it, and rode off swiftly after him. It took her only a few moments to catch up with him, as he rode slow, taking his time with his hunting. A sigh escaped her, and she brought her horse over to the edge of the clearing where he now stood perched atop his horse, his bow drawn at ready, aimed at some animal hiding in the foliage. She raised her face to the sky, looking at the bright sun shining down upon them through the leaves. She brought her gaze back down to Legolas, and smiled slightly. Closing her eyes, and raising her hands towards the sky, she began to whisper slowly in Elvish.

"Ross si, esgal i nif ned i Anor." **Rain now, cover the face of the sun.**

She raised her face towards the sky, her eyes still closed. Suddenly, clear, glowing raindrops began to fall from the sky, leaving glittering remains where they landed. She opened her eyes, watching Legolas' statement change as he felt the dampness hit him. He turned quickly, his eyes finding her. He lowered his bow, his eyes shining. Glimmering diamonds fell all around him as he rode over to her. When his eyes met hers, he smiled.

"I should have known you to have something to do with this. No other Elf in this kingdom could produce such a rainshower on a day when the sun shines so brightly."

She smiled at him, the raindrops falling upon them, but leaving them dry.

"Today is the last that you shall spend locked away in your study, Legolas. You grow more weary by the day. Either you will inform your advisors of this, or I shall, but I will not watch you tire yourself like this. It is not good for any of us, or the kingdom. You have been through far too much already."

He nodded, knowing that it was useless to try to change her mind.

"I suppose ruining my hunting trip is punishment for my absentness."

She laughed, and then beckoned her horse to run, leaving him shaking his head in bewilderment behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They spent most of the day in the forest, riding, happy to finally be away from the palace. Garania brought her horse up beside a large rock, that stretched high above their heads. Legolas appeared beside her, and dismounted his horse. He helped Garania from hers, and then walked towards the rock.

"Do you remember the first time we came here?"

Garania nodded.

"Of course. I was the one who brought you. Come, let us awaken some old memories."

She took his arm and pulled him up to the rock, and began to climb up it slowly. She had to grasp her gown hem tightly in her hands to keep from stumbling over it. Legolas followed close behind her, keeping a sharp eye on her, making sure she did not fall. Finally, Garania pulled herself atop the rock, which was in reality a small cliff. She pushed herself to her feet and walked to the edge, looking down upon the scene below. Legolas came up behind her, looking out over her shoulder.

"It is still as beautiful as the first day I found it."

They looked down, at the small waterfall spilling over the side of the cliff a little ways away from them. At the bottom, lay a large pool of crystal clear water, shimmering in the reappearing sunlight. A sea of flowers surrounded the water, forming every color imaginable. The entire area was hidden into a cove, unable to be viewed by an ordinary passer's eye. Garania walked towards the stream of water pouring over the cliff. Legolas looked at her, curiously.

"What are you planning to do?"

She looked back at him, mischieviously.

"Just what I said before. To awaken old memories."

With that, she lifted her gown, and ran as fast as she could towards the edge of the cliff, sailing over effortlessly, and falling gracefully before hitting the water in a single glide. Legolas watched, a smile across his face, and his eyes shining brightly. She reappeared atop the surface nearly as soon as she went beneath it, smiling happily at Legolas. She called to him from below.

"Legolas, come down! You did it once, you can certainly manage it again!"

He smiled down at her, and took a deep breath, building up his courage. Of the few things he feared, heights was one of them. He closed his eyes, and leapt from the cliff, trying not to think of just what a height it was from which he was jumping. He hit the water swiftly, coming up beside Garania. She laughed when she saw the water streaming down his face.

"And just what do you find so funny?" he asked her teasingly.

She shook her head, her own hair barely even damp from the water.

"Nothing, only you."

He playfully threw a handful of water towards her, laughing uncontrollably.

"So you find it funny that I resemble a drenched dwarf, do you? Just because you have the mircaculous ability to keep yourself dry even in the most wet conditions, does not mean that you have the right to laugh at those of us who do not."

She laughed so hard she could barely keep afloat, returning the splash that Legolas had sent her.

"I apologize, my love. Please forgive me. But I do believe that Gimli would take offense at your former comment."

He swam over to her, wrapping his arms around her.

"Yes, he most likely would, but I'm sure it would be nothing he could not find a swift rebuttle to."

She laughed, floating around with him in the water. They swam around for several more minutes, enjoying the cool and peaceful feeling of the water, before climbing out, and laying themselves amidst the flowers to rest beneath the sun. Legolas turned his face towards Garania, studying her statement.

"What are you thinking about, melamin?"

"Nothing....Legolas....have you ever wished....do you ever wish for an heir?"

He pulled his eyes away from hers, trying to think of an answer.

"Wish for one, yes, but I know that it can never be, so I do not question it."

She turned her head back towards him.

"But do you ever wish you had chosen another wife, one who could provide you with an heir?"

He turned his eyes quickly towards her.

"Never. And do not for even the slightest moment consider that I would....there is only one thing that has bothered me since the moment I was informed that you could not bear children."

She looked at him.

"And what's that?"

"Why?"

She smiled.

"Yet another secret I have kept from you these years. But now you shall know." She paused for a moment before continuing. "When I was born, it was known that I was the child of the Witch King, and until I went to be raised by my grandmother, it was common knowledge. Many wished for me not to reproduce, for fear that I would spawn a power of even greater evil than the one from whence I came. When I was sent to Lothlorien, they knew of my lineage, and they feared of what I could become, or produce. From the time that I was very young, a curse was put upon me, one that would prevent me from ever spawning children of my own. To insure the effectiveness of this spell, I was also given poison, to leave me barren. So you see, this is why I never told you the reason why I could not give you an heir."

He nodded, understanding.

"It seems so cruel, though, for your grandparents to allow them to do such a thing."

"They feared as much as the others, and they only wished to keep the santity of Middle Earth, and it was the only way they knew. It had to be done. I do not hate them for it, or harbor resentment against them, as I can understand their reasoning behind it."

Legolas nodded, looking at her.

"Well, shall we start on our way back to the palace. I'm sure they will be missing us by now."

He raised up and took her hand in his, pulling her gently from the ground. They made their way back to their horses, and started back towards the palace.



| Part XVII |
| Index |