When The Trees Sang: Part XVII
by Nicole
-----


Garania walked up the steps to the palace, slowly, trying to keep her balance. For the past few weeks, she had felt this way, unable to walk even the shortest distance without being forced to stop and rest for a moment. When she found that she could go no further without collapsing, she grasped the stone railing, and brought herself gently down onto the nearest step. It was beginning to worry her, this ill feeling she had been experiencing, and she wondered if there might not be something seriously wrong that was bringing it on. She knew well that Elves did not succumb to sickness or the likes, so she was sure that it was not anything like this. However, her suspicions were running wild, and she decided to call on her grandmother for answers. When she had regained enough strength to pull herself from the stairs, she got up and made her way slowly up to her room. She walked inside and closed the door, smelling the sweet air from the outside. She walked over to the railing and closed her eyes, trying to make her thoughts heard to Galadriel.

"Grandmother....hear me....please...."

Her answer came to her in a soft voice echoing in her mind.

"My darling....what troubles you?"

She closed her eyes even tighter and let her thoughts run free.

"For weeks now, I have been feeling ill....is there something wrong....what is the matter with me?"

Galadriel spoke only one single sentence.

"The curse has been lifted...."

And then the voice disappeared, leaving Garania shocked, and confused.

It took her only a few minutes to understand what she had spoken to her, but when the realization finally hit her, she sprinted to the door, running as fast as she could to Legolas' study.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Legolas sat alone at his desk, reading over some papers that had been delivered to him by his advisors. Suddenly, the door flew open, and Garania entered, her eyes wild. She was followed closely by two advisors. The first one spoke.

"Your highness, I apologize.... she ran in, I could not stop her. I tried to tell her that you did not wish to be disturbed, but she would not listen. I fear she may have lost her mind."

Legolas dismissed them both out of the room with a single wave of his hand. He then turned to Garania.

"Melamin, what is it? Why do you look so pale?"

She spoke quickly, excitement taking her over.

"These past few weeks, I have been feeling ill....I spoke to Grandmother....she informed me that....the curse....the curse has been lifted!"

He looked at her, his face blank, his statement telling her that he did not understand.

"What? Slow your speech, and calm yourself. What are you trying to tell me?"

She spoke slower this time, trying to make him understand.

"I have been feeling rather ill these past few weeks. I did not know that cause of it, so I went to my grandmother for help. She said nothing but....Legolas, the curse has been lifted."

He stared at her, still not comprehending what she was telling him. She threw her hands into the air with defeat.

"Ay! Males! Do you not understand what this means, Legolas? The curse has been lifted. You shall have an heir after all."

He stared at her, this time his statement one of shock.

"Do you mean....but how can that be?" He grasped the side of the desk for support. "All of these long years, I have wished, prayed for an heir, and now, I finally have the chance to have one, and I can not bring myself to accept it, for fear that it will be stolen away from me again."

Garania smiled at Legolas, taking his hands in hers.

"Legolas, you fear too much for your own good. This is a miraculous blessing that has been bestowed upon us, and though I am as shocked as you, I do not question it. All shall be well, you will see."

He smiled at her, beginning to feel a bit better at her words.

"You are right. Come, let us tell the people. They have only a right to know, as I believe it is their hopes, dreams, and prayers that have brought this blessing upon us."

He took her hand, and led her out the door to the main hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Melamin, be careful. You should not be exerting yourself so in your condition."

Legolas layed back, propped up upon his elbows in the grass. He watched as Garania looked over at him, a look of annoyance plastered across her face.

"Legolas, I am fully aware of what condition I am in. How could I forget? You have reminded me of it everyday for the past nine months. However, my "condition" does not weaken me or keep me in my bed, therefore, I shall not act as if it does so. I will do as I please, and I am well aware of my limits, do not worry."

He shook his head, smiling to himself. It was no use fighting with his wife, who was now involved in a heated sword fight with Gimli. Although he knew the Dwarf would never dream of harming her with even so much as a scratch, he still worrried. Garania caught Gimli's sword with her own, and pulled it from his hands, throwing it across the field where it landed a short distance away. Gimli bowed to her, as she looked down at him over her stomach.

"My lady, I stand defeated. Though I must say, I could not have lost to a more worthier opponent."

She smiled down at the Dwarf, bowing her head slightly to him.

"My good Dwarf, it has been a pleasure battling with you this afternoon."

Gimli went to retrieve his sword, but as he did, a sharp cry echoed through the woods. Legolas bolted from where he lay, and grabbed his bow and quiver from its resting place beside him. He called back to the palace, requesting help.

"Orcs! Bring your bows!"

He ran off into the forest, with Gimli close behind him on his heels. Garania started to follow, but Legolas saw her, and stopped, turning to face her. He spoke more harshly than he meant.

"No! You will not come! I will not have you dangering yourself, or my child, just for the sake of battle! You will remain here! I cannot bear to risk losing you again!"

With that, he sped off into the trees, disappearing from her sight. Anger slowly built inside of her. How dare he say such a thing to her? As if she would purposely rick the life of their child just to fight a few orcs dwelling in the woods. She took one look at the large group of armed Elves running quickly in her direction, and then sped off into the woods, following quickly after Legolas.

| Part XVIII |
| Index |